I thank my advisors Abhijit Banerjee, Dora Costa, Esther Duflo and Sendhil Mullainathan for their guidance throughout this research. I thank eight anonymous referees, four editors and Niels Hermes, Robert Lensink. I also thank Alexander Aganine, Beatriz Armendariz de Aghion, Robin Burgess, Ben Jones, Leigh Linden, Norman Loayza, Cade Massey, Jonathan Morduch, Ashok Rai, Laura Schechter, Richard Thaler, Ashley Timmer, Chris Udry, Justin Wolfers and Eric Zitzewitz and participants at the 2006 Groningen conference on microfinance, 2001 NEUDC, 2001 LACEA PEG/NIP and 2004 ASSA, and at seminars at Harvard/M.I.T., Princeton, Yale, Maryland, Texas, Williams, Johns Hopkins, UC-Irvine, Berkeley, UCLA, University of Washington, Michigan, Georgetown, Miami and the Univeristy of Natal, South Africa. Last, but not least, thanks to Iris Lanao, Aquiles Lanao and Morena Lanao from FINCA and my field team, particularly Alcides Medina, Fatima Oriundo and Jeny Yucra. The research reported herein was supported by the SSRC, the Russell Sage Foundation, the M.I.T. George Shultz Fund and the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College pursuant to a grant from the Social Security Administration. All views and errors are mine.
Social connections and group banking*
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2007
The Economic Journal
Volume 117, Issue 517, pages F52–F84, February 2007
How to Cite
Karlan, D. S. (2007), Social connections and group banking. The Economic Journal, 117: F52–F84. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2007.02015.x
- Issue published online: 27 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2007
- Date of first submission: July 2005 Date of decision: October 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!