An earlier draft of this article was presented at the iHEA 5th World Congress held July 10–13, 2005 in Barcelona. We are grateful to Jason Shogren and Laura Taylor for detailed suggestions on the design of our experiment and the cheap talk script. For comments, we thank Richard Bishop, Patricia Champ, Tommy Gärling, Glenn Harrison, John List, John Whitehead, Kip Viscusi, seminar participants at the University of Connecticut and Appalachian State University, Editor Leonardo Felli, and three anonymous referees. We also thank Niklas Zethraeus for research assistance and Ronald Langley for suggestions about certainty statements. Finally, we are indebted to the American Pharmacy Services Corporation and the following pharmacists who participated in this experiment: Matt Cull, Drane Stephens, Aaron McIntosh, Kathy Salyer, Steve and Alicia Dawson, Gary Hamm, Alyson and Leon Claywell, Jason Wallace and Melodie Hawkins. This research was supported by Cooperative Agreement Number E11/CCE421825 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Views and contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of CDC. Magnus Johannesson received financial support from the Swedish Research Council.
Eliciting Willingness to Pay Without Bias: Evidence from a Field Experiment*
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2007
The Economic Journal
Volume 118, Issue 525, pages 114–137, January 2008
How to Cite
Blumenschein, K., Blomquist, G. C., Johannesson, M., Horn, N. and Freeman, P. (2008), Eliciting Willingness to Pay Without Bias: Evidence from a Field Experiment. The Economic Journal, 118: 114–137. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2007.02106.x
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2007
- Submitted: 23 February 2005 Accepted: 17 July 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!