Alexander Klein provided excellent research assistance for the experiments discussed in this article. We thank anonymous referees and Leonardo Felli (the editor) for very useful comments and suggestions. We also thank Oliver Hart, Bentley MacLeod and seminar participants at Bocconi University, Boston University, the University of Virginia, the NBER's workshop on organisation theory, the CESifo area conference on microeconomics and the conference on Economics and Psychology in Toulouse for their comments. Part of this research was conducted while the third author visited Yale University and he thanks the Economics Department for its great hospitality. Financial support by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft through SFB-TR 15 and grant SCHM-1196/4-1 and by the EU-Marie Curie RTN ENABLE (MRTM-CT-2003-505223) is gratefully acknowledged. Ernst Fehr also gratefully acknowledges support from the Swiss National Science Foundation (project number 1214-05100.97) and the Network on the Evolution of Preferences and Social Norms of the MacArthur Foundation and the EU-TMR Research Network ENDEAR (FMRX-CTP98-0238).
Fairness and the Optimal Allocation of Ownership Rights*
Article first published online: 14 AUG 2008
© The Author(s). Journal compilation © Royal Economic Society 2008
The Economic Journal
Volume 118, Issue 531, pages 1262–1284, August 2008
How to Cite
Fehr, E., Kremhelmer, S. and Schmidt, K. M. (2008), Fairness and the Optimal Allocation of Ownership Rights. The Economic Journal, 118: 1262–1284. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2008.02169.x
- Issue published online: 14 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 14 AUG 2008
- Submitted: 21 July 2005 Accepted: 1 July 2007
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!