Corresponding author: Zack Cooper, The Centre for Economic Performance, London School of Economics, Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE. Email: email@example.com.
Does Hospital Competition Save Lives? Evidence From The English NHS Patient Choice Reforms*
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Authors. The Economic Journal published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of Royal Economic Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
The Economic Journal
Volume 121, Issue 554, pages F228–F260, August 2011
How to Cite
Cooper, Z., Gibbons, S., Jones, S. and McGuire, A. (2011), Does Hospital Competition Save Lives? Evidence From The English NHS Patient Choice Reforms. The Economic Journal, 121: F228–F260. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2011.02449.x
We would like to thank Hugh Gravelle, Mireia Jofre-Bonet, Julian Le Grand, John Van Reenen, Joan Costa-Font, three anonymous referees and the editorial staff at this JOURNAL for their feedback on earlier drafts of this article. We would also like to thank participants at the various forums where earlier drafts of this article were presented for their valuable contributions. This research was funded by an LSE PhD Studentship and an ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship. All errors are our own.
Correction Note: This article was first published online on the 21st of July 2011, under a subscription publication licence. The article has since been made OnlineOpen, and the copyright line and licence statement was therefore updated in June 2014.
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2011
- 1984). ‘ Reputation and product quality’, Rand Journal of Economics, vol. 15(3), pp. 311–27. (
- 2010). ‘The impact of competition on management quality: evidence from public hospitals’, CEP Working Paper – February 14th. London School of Economics. , , and (
- 2006). ‘ Hospital quality for acute myocardial infarction: correlation among process measures and relationship with short-term mortality’, JAMA, vol. 296(1), pp. 72–8. , , , , , , , , and (
- 1992). ‘ Using regional variation in wages to measure the effects of the federal minimum wage’, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, vol. 46(1), pp. 22–37. (
- 1978). ‘ A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation’, Journal of Chronic Disease, vol. 40(5), pp. 373–83. , , and (
- Committee on Second Hand Smoke Exposure and Acute Coronary Events (2009). Second Hand Smoke Exposure and Cardiovascular Effects, Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine.
- Communities and Local Government Department (2009). ‘Indices of Deprivation 2004’, available at http://www.communities.gov.uk/archived/general-content/communities/indicesofdeprivation/216309/ (last accessed: 31 October 2009).
- 2010a). Does Hospital Competition Improve Efficiency? An Analysis of the Recent Market-based Reforms to the English NHS, London: Centre for Economic Performance. , , and (
- 2010b). Does Hospital Competition Save Lives? Evidence From the NHS Patient Choice Reforms, London: London School of Economics. , , and (
- 2001). Refinement of the HCUP Quality Indicators. Technical Review Number 4 (Prepared by UCSF-Stanford Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-97-0013), Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. , , , , and (
- Department of Health (2002). Delivering the NHS Plan – Next Steps on Investment, Next Steps on Reform, London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2003). Building on the Best – Choice, Responsiveness and Equity in the NHS, London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2004). ‘The NHS improvement plan: putting people at the heart of public services’, available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_118572.pdf (last acessed: 31 October 2009).
- Department of Health (2005). ‘A short guide to NHS foundation trusts’, available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_4126018.pdf (last acessed: 31 October 2009).
- Department of Health (2009a). ‘Department of Health payment by results webpage’, available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/managingyourorganisation/financeandplanning/nhsfinancialreforms/index.htm (last accessed: 31 October 2009).
- Department of Health (2009b). ‘NHS choice time line’, available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_085723.pdf (last accessed: 31 October 2009).
- Department of Health (2009c). ‘NHS choose and book website’, available at http://www.chooseandbook.nhs.uk/patients (last accessed: 31 October 2009).
- 2010). ‘ The experience of implementing choice at point of referral: a comparison of the Netherlands and England’, Health Economics, Policy and Law, vol. 5(Special issue 3), pp. 295–317. , and (
- 1992). ‘ Monopolistic competition when price and quality are not perfectly observable’, Rand Journal of Economics, vol. 23(4), pp. 247–62. and (
- 2000). ‘ The industrial organization of health care markets’, in(A. Culyer and J.P. Newhouse, eds.), The Handbook of Health Economics, pp. 1093–139, Amsterdam: Elsevier. and (
- 2004). ‘ Competition and quality in hospital markets. What do we know? What don’t we know?’ Economie Publique, vol. 15(2), pp. 3–40. (
- 2006). ‘ Competition and quality in health care markets’, Foundations and Trends in Microeconomics, vol. 2(6), pp. 441–508. (
- 1999). ‘ Change, consolidation and competition in health care markets’, Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 13(1), pp. 141–64. and (
- 2010). Death by Market Power: Reform, Competition and Patient Outcomes in the National Health Services, Bristol: Bristol University. , and (
- 2003). ‘ Competition, payers, and hospital quality’, Health Services Research, vol. 38(6 p 1), pp. 1403–22. and (
- 2003). ‘ A tractable approach to the firm location decision problem’, Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 85(1), pp. 201–4. , and (
- 2000). ‘ Hospital mergers and acquisitions: does market consolidation harm patients?’, Journal of Health Economics, vol. 19(8), pp. 767–91. and (
- 2007). ‘ The inverse relationship between mortality rates and performance in the hospital quality alliance measures’, Health Affairs, vol. 26(4), pp. 1104–10. , , and (
- 2005). ‘ The effects of competition on variation in the quality and cost of medical care’, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, vol. 14(3), pp. 575–89. and (
- 2000). ‘ Is hospital competition socially wasteful?’, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 115(2), pp. 577–615. and (
- 1999). ‘ Markets, politicians and the NHS’, British Medical Journal, vol. 319(7222), pp. 1383–4. (
- 2006). The New Politics of the NHS: From Creation to Reinvention, 5th ed. Oxford, Seattle: Radcliffe. (
- 1981). ‘ The role of market forces in assuring contractual performance’, Journal of Political Economy, vol. 89(4), pp. 615–41. and (
- 1999). ‘ Competition, cooperation, or control? Tales from the British National Health Service’, Health Affairs, vol. 18(3), pp. 27–39. (
- 1998). Learning from the NHS Internal Market, London: King’s Fund. , and (
- 1999). ‘The quality of health care providers’, NBER Working Paper, No. 7327. and (
- 2009). ‘ Cardiovascular effect of bans on smoking in public places: a systematic review and meta-analysis’, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54(14), pp. 1249–55. , and (
- OECD (2010). ‘OECD health statistics for 2010’, available at http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx (last accessed: 14 January 2011).
- 1996). ‘ Market structure and prices: the responses of hospitals in the UK national health service to competition’, Journal of Public Economics, vol. 61, pp. 307–35. (
- 2008). ‘ Competition and quality: evidence from the NHS internal market 1991–1996’, ECONOMIC JOURNAL, vol. 118(1), pp. 138–70. , and (
- 2004). ‘ Does competition between hospitals improve the quality of care? Hospital death rates and the NHS internal market’, Journal of Public Economics, vol. 88(7–8), pp. 1247–72. , and (
- 2010). ‘ Can pay regulation kill? Panel data evidence on the effect of labor markets on hospital performance’, Journal of Political Economy, vol. 118(2), pp. 222–73. and (
- 2006). ‘ Extending choice in English health care: the implications of the economic evidence’, Journal of Social Policy, vol. 35(4), pp. 537–57. , and (
- 1998). ‘ The effects of regulation and competition in the NHS internal market: the case of GP fundholder prices’, Journal of Health Economics, vol. 17(6), pp. 645–74. , and (
- 2004). ‘ The evolving science of quality measurement for hospitals: Implications for studies of competition and consolidation’, International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, vol. 4(2), pp. 131–57. and (
- 2003). ‘ Why competition law matters to health care quality’, Health Affairs (Millwood), vol. 22(2), pp. 31–44. , and (
- 2002). ‘ Do competition and managed care improve quality?’, Health Economics, vol. 11(7), pp. 571–84. (
- 2009). ‘ Public smoking bans are good for the heart’, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54(14), pp. 1256–57. (
- 1983). ‘ Premiums for high quality products as returns on reputation’, Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 98(4), pp. 659–80. (
- 2003). ‘ The effect of financial pressure on the quality of care in hospitals’, Journal of Health Economics, vol. 22(2), pp. 243–69. (
- 1997). ‘ Impact of the NHS reforms on English hospital productivity: an analysis of the first three years’, British Medical Journal, vol. 315(7116), pp. 1126–9. , , , and (
- 2007). ‘ Activity based financing in England: the need for continual refinement of payment by results’, Health Econ Policy Law, vol. 2(Pt 4), pp. 419–27. and (
- 2006). How Has Hospital Consolidation Affected the Price and Quality of Hospital Care, Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. and (
- 2003). ‘ Market reform in New Jersey and the effect on mortality from acute myocardial infarction’, Health Services Research, vol. 38(2), pp. 515–33. , , , , and (
- 2009). Myocardial Ischemia National Audit Project (MINAP). How the NHS manages heart attacks, London: MINAP. , , , , and (
- World Health Organization (2009). ‘International Classification of Diseases 10 Code Framework’, available at http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/ (last accessed: 1 November 2009).