Previous versions of this paper have been presented at research seminars at Imperial College London, May 2008, the IBEFA session on NR, WEAI 83rd Annual Conference, June 2008 and the EFMA Symposium on Risk Management in Financial Institutions, April 2009. The authors would like to thank discussants and attendees for their constructive comments, which have been incorporated into this version, as well as the anonymous referees.
Did the Market Signal Impending Problems at Northern Rock? An Analysis of Four Financial Instruments
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
European Financial Management
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 68–87, January 2012
How to Cite
Hamalainen, P., Pop, A., Hall, M. and Howcroft, B. (2012), Did the Market Signal Impending Problems at Northern Rock? An Analysis of Four Financial Instruments. European Financial Management, 18: 68–87. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-036X.2011.00599.x
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
- The new Basel capital accord: making it effective with stronger market discipline’, European Financial Management, Vol. 8, 2002, pp.103–15. and , ‘
- Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when? Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 32, 2000, pp. 641–67. , and , ‘
- Market discipline and subordinated debt: a review of some salient issues’, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Economic Perspectives, 1st Quarter, 2001, pp. 24–45. , ‘
- The Rock needs to reassess its strategy’, Financial Times, 28 June 2007. and , ‘
- Modeling default risk’, Available at: http://www.defaultrisk.com, Moodys KMV, 2003. and , ‘
- Stock returns, implied volatility innovations, and the asymmetric volatility phenomenon’, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 41, 2006, pp. 381–406. , and , ‘
- The information content in implied idiosyncratic volatility and the cross-section of stock returns: evidence from the option markets’, Journal of Futures Markets, Vol. 28, 2008, pp. 1013–39. , and , ‘
- European Central Bank, Financial Stability Review, December 2004.
- European Central Bank, ‘Bank market discipline’, Monthly Bulletin, 2005, pp. 55–64.
- Reforming bank capital regulation: using subordinated debt to enhance market and supervisory discipline’, Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 19, 2001a, pp. 444–53. and , ‘
- Sub-debt yield spreads as bank risk measures’,Journal of Financial Services Research, Vol. 20(2/3), 2001b, pp. 121–45. and , ‘
- Financial Services Authority, ‘The supervision of Northern Rock: a lessons learned review’, Report, Financial Services Internal Audit Division, March 2008.
- Using Market Information in Prudential Bank Supervision: A Review of the U.S. Empirical Evidence’, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 30, 1998, pp. 273–305. , ‘
- Evidence of bank market discipline in subordinated debenture yields: 1983–1991’, Journal of Finance, Vol. 51, 1996, pp. 1347–77. and , ‘
- Financial market signals and banking supervision: are current practices consistent with research findings? Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco Economic Review, 2006, pp. 17–29. and , ‘
- The subprime panic’, European Financial Management, Vol. 15, 2009, pp. 10–46. , ‘
- Equity and bond market signals as leading indicators of bank fragility’, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 38, 2006, pp. 399–428. , and , ‘
- The sub-prime crisis, the credit squeeze and Northern Rock: the lessons to be learned’, Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Vol. 16, 2007, pp. 19–34. , ‘
- Assessing market discipline in UK credit institutions: subordinated debt holders as signallers of bank risk’, PhD Thesis, Loughborough University, Loughborough , 2007. , ‘
- Market discipline: a theoretical framework for regulatory policy development’, in G. Kaufman, ed., Market Discipline in Banking: Theory and Evidence, Research in Financial Services, Vol. 15, 2003, pp. 57–97. , and , ‘
- Market discipline in UK credit institutions: an empirical analysis of subordinated debt holders as signallers of bank risk’, Conference Paper, Tor Vergata Conference on Banking and Finance, Rome , December 2007. , and , ‘
- Should a mandatory subordinated debt policy be introduced for the UK? Evidence from the issuance activity of banks and building societies’, Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 28, 2010, pp.240–63. , and , ‘
- Using subordinated debt to monitor bank holding companies’, Journal of Financial Services Research, Vol. 20, 2001, pp. 147–87. and , ‘
- Rock faces a hard climb’, Financial Times, 16 August 2007. , ‘
- House of Commons Treasury Committee, The Run on the Rock, Fifth Report of Session 2007–08, Vol. I, January 2008.
- Time for Alliance & Leicester to build on its safe legacy’, Financial Times, 22 February 2007. , ‘
- Northern Rock still dogged by concerns over interbank rate’, Financial Times, 4 September 2007. , ‘
- Market discipline prior to bank failure’, Journal of Economics and Business, Vol. 53, 2001, pp. 313–24. and , ‘
- Incorporating equity market information into supervisory monitoring models’, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, Vol. 36, 2004, pp. 1043–68. and , ‘
- The Northern Rock crisis: a multi-dimensional problem waiting to happen’, Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Vol. 16, 2008, pp.35–58. , ‘
- Northern Rock, ‘2006 preliminary results announcement’, London Stock Exchange announcement, 24 January 2007a.
- Northern Rock, ‘2007 trading statement – 3 months to 31 March 2007’, London Stock Exchange announcement, 2 April 2007b.
- Northern Rock, ‘Pre-close period statement and Basel II strategic update’, London Stock Exchange announcement, 27 June 2007c.
- Northern Rock, ‘2007 interim results’, London Stock Exchange announcement, 25 July 2007d.
- Northern Rock, ‘Statement on market conditions and trading update’, London Stock Exchange announcement, 14 September 2007e.
- The use of market indicators in financial stability analysis’, Economic Review, Sveriges Riksbank, Vol. 2, 2003, pp. 5–28. and , ‘
- A review of the use of market data in the federal reserve system’, Conference paper, Supervisory Use of Market Data, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, Cleveland , March 2004. , ‘
- Testing for market discipline in the European banking industry: evidence from subordinated debt issues’, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 35, 2003, pp. 443–72. , ‘
- Information about bank risk in options prices’, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 26, 2002, pp. 1033–57. and , ‘
- Northern Rock acts on funding fears’, Financial Times, 16 August 2007a. , ‘
- The Rock's strategy called into question’, Financial Times, 16 August 2007b. , ‘