Democracy and State Capacity: Exploring a J-Shaped Relationship
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 1–24, January 2008
How to Cite
BÄCK, H. and HADENIUS, A. (2008), Democracy and State Capacity: Exploring a J-Shaped Relationship. Governance, 21: 1–24. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0491.2007.00383.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2008
- 2003. “Co-Governance for Accountability: Beyond ‘Exit’ and ‘Voice. World Development 32: 447–463.
- 2002. “Assessing the Quality of Democracy: Freedom, Competitiveness and Participation in Eighteen Latin American Countries. Democratization 9: 85–100. , and .
- 1995. Political Handbook of the World 1994–1995. Birmingham: CSA Publications.
- 1995. “What to Do (and Not to Do) with Time-Series Cross-Section Data. The American Political Science Review 89: 634–647. , and .
- 1996. “Nuisance vs. Substance: Specifying and Estimating Time-Series Cross-Section Models. Political Analysis 6: 1–36. , and .
- 2004. “Time-Series–Cross-Section Issues: Dynamics, 2004.” Working Paper, The Society of Political Methodology. , and .
- 2004. “The Robustness of Authoritarianism in the Middle East: Exceptionalism in Comparative Perspective. Comparative Politics 36: 139–157.
- 2004. “The Legacy of Western Overseas Colonialism on Democratic Survival. International Studies Quarterly 48: 225–250. , , and .
- 2006. “The Dynamics of Political Corruption: Re-Examining the Influence of Democracy. Democratization 13: 1–14. , and .
- 2004. “Compound Democracy and the Control of Corruption: A Cross-Country Investigation. The Policy Studies Journal 32: 481–499. , , and .
- 1996. Max Weber and Democratic Politics. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 1997. “The ‘Perverse Effects’ of Political Corruption. Political Studies 45: 516–538. , and .
- 2005. “Harnessing the State. Strategies for Monitoring and Motivation.” In States and Development. Historical Antecedents of Stagnation and Advance, ed. LangeMatthew and DietrichRueschemeyer. New York: Palgrave MacMillan. .
- 2004. “Empowerment and Institutional Change: Mapping ‘Virtuous Circles’ of State–Society Interaction.” In Power, Rights, and Poverty: Concepts and Connections, ed. RuthAlsop. Washington, DC: The World Bank.
- 2004. State Building. Governance and World Order in the Twenty-First Century. London: Profile Books.
- 2004. “Political Institutions and Corruption: The Role of Unitarism and Parliamentarism. British Journal of Political Science 34: 295–330. , and .
- 2001. Institutions and Democratic Citizenship. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2003. Decentralization and Democratic Governance. Experiences from India, Bolivia and South Africa. Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell International. , ed.
- 2005a. “Cultural and Economic Prerequisites of Democracy: Reassessing Recent Evidence. Studies in Comparative International Development 39: 87–106. , and .
- 2005b. “Assessing Alternative Indices of Democracy”. C&M Working Papers, IPSA. , and .
- 2007. “Authoritarian Regimes: Stability, Change, and Pathways to Democracy, 1972–2003. Journal of Democracy 18: 143–158. , and .
- 1999. All in the Family. Absolutism, Revolution, and Democracy in the Middle Eastern Monarchies. New York: State University of New York Press.
- 2003. “The Political Economy of Administrative Reform in Developing Countries.” In Reinventing Leviathan. The Politics of Administrative Reform in Developing Countries, ed. Ben RossSchneider and BlancaHeredia. Coral Gables, FL: North-South Press Center. , and .
- International Country Risk Guide (ICRG). 2005. A Business Guide to Political Risk for International Decisions. New York: The PRS Group.
- 1982. “Sovereignty and Underdevelopment Juridical Statehood in the African Crisis. The Journal of Modern African Studies 24: 1–31. , and .
- 1999. Sovereignty: Organized Hypocrisy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2005. “The Rule of Law and Development: A Weberian Framework of States and State–Society Relations.” In States and Development. Historical Antecedents of Stagnation and Advance, ed. LangeMatthew and DietrichRueschemeyer. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- 2001. “Accountability and Corruption. Political Institutions Matter. Policy Research Working Paper, 2708. Washington DC: The World Bank. , , and .
- 2003. “Economic Globalization and Democracy: An Empirical Analysis. British Journal of Political Science 33: 29–54. , and .
- 1986. “The Autonomous Power of the State: Its Origins, Mechanisms and Results.” In States in History, ed. JohnHall. New York: Basil Blackwell.
- 1988. Strong Societies and Weak States. State–Society Relations and State Capabilities in the Third World. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2002. “Sources of Corruption: A Cross-Country Study. British Journal of Political Science 32: 147–170. , and .
- 1968. “The State as a Conceptual Variable. World Politics 20: 559–592.
- 1992. Reinventing Government. Reading, MA: Adison-Wesley. , and .
- 1990. Governing the Commons. The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2002. “The Cross-Country Pattern of Corruption: Economics, Culture and the Seesaw Dynamics. European Journal of Political Economy 18: 215–240.
- 2003. The Economic Effects of Constitutions. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press. , and .
- 2003. “Electoral Rules and Corruption. Journal of the European Economic Association 1: 958–989. , , and .
- 2000. Democracy and Development: Political Institutions and Well-Being in the World, 1950–1990. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , , and .
- 1993. Making Democracy Work. Civic Traditions in Modern Italy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 2001. “Does Oil Hinder Democracy? World Politics 53: 325–361.
- 2000. “Accounting for Corruption: Economic Structure, Democracy and Trade. International Studies Quarterly 44: 31–50. , and .
- 2001. Mandates and Democracy: Neoliberalism by Surprise in Latin America. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2004. “Democracy and Political Corruption: A Cross-National Comparison. Crime, Law and Social Change 41: 179–194.
- 1997. Good Governance in the Tropics. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2007. “Determinants of Democratization: Taking Stock of the Large-N Evidence.” In Democratization: The State of the Art, ed. DirkBerg-Schlosser. Farmington Hills, MI: Barbara Budrich. , and .
- 2000. “The Causes of Corruption: A Cross-National Study. Journal of Public Economics 76: 399–457.
- 2000. “A New Dataset for Measuring Democracy, 1810–1998. Journal of Peace Research 37: 251–265.
- 1999. “Mutual Empowerment of State and Society: Its Nature, Conditions, Mechanisms, and Limits. Comparative Politics 31: 231–249.
- 1994. Political Writings. ed. PeterLassman and RonaldSpeirs. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- World Bank. 1994. Governance: The World Bank's Experience. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- World Bank. 1997. World Development Report 1997. The State in a Changing World. Oxford: Oxford University Press.