The authors would like to thank Jessie Poon, Susan Aaronson, and especially the late Alan MacPherson for reading and commenting on earlier versions of this work.
The Market for Corporate Responsibility Reporting in the Americas
Article first published online: 23 NOV 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Growth and Change
Volume 43, Issue 4, pages 563–589, December 2012
How to Cite
Hamilton, T. and Tschopp, D. J. (2012), The Market for Corporate Responsibility Reporting in the Americas. Growth and Change, 43: 563–589. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2257.2012.00598.x
- Issue published online: 23 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 23 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: OCT 2011
- Manuscript Revised: SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: JUN 2011
- AccountAbility. 2007. The state of responsible competitiveness. http://www.accountability.org/images/content/0/7/075/The%20State%20of%20Responsible%20Competitiveness.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- AccountAbility. 2008. AA1000 assurance standard 2008. http://www.accountability.org/images/content/0/5/056/AA1000AS%202008.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- 2006. Exploring terra incognita: Non-financial reporting in corporate Latin America. Journal of Corporate Citizenship 21: 25–38.
- 2006. Corporate responsibility in emerging markets. Journal of Corporate Citizenship 24: 29–47.
- 2001. Culture, institutional factors and differences in environmental disclosure between Canada and the United States. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 12(3): 293–322. , and .
- 2009. Building institutions based on information disclosure: Lessons from GRI's sustainability reporting. Journal of Cleaner Production 17(6): 571–580. , , and .
- 1996. How corporate social responsibility pays off. Long Range Planning 29(4): 495–502. , and .
- 2006. Institutional analysis and the paradox of corporate social responsibility. American Behavioral Scientist 49(7): 925–938.
- 2009. Is corporate responsibility converging? A comparison of corporate responsibility reporting in the USA, UK, Australia, and Germany. Journal of Business Ethics 87(1): 299–317. , and .
- CICA. 2010. Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues in institutional investor decision making. Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants. http://www.cica.ca/publications/list-of-publications/manual/item41881.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- CIESIN. 2011. Environmental sustainability index. http://www.sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/es/esi/ (accessed June 2011).
- CorporateRegister.com. 2011. Country stats. CorporateRegister.com Limited. http://www.corporateregister.com/stats/ (accessed June 2011).
- 2002. The diffusion of environmental management standards in Europe and the United States: An institutional perspective. Policy Sciences 35(1): 91–119.
- 2011. An institutional perspective on the diffusion of international management system standards: The case of the environmental management standard ISO 14001. Business Ethics Quarterly 21(1): 103–132. , and .
- 2004. Risk, regulation and the right to know: Exploring the impacts of access to information on the governance of environmental risk. Sustainable Development 12(3): 136–149.
- GreenBiz. 2009. Mandatory CSR reporting for Denmark's largest companies. GreenBiz.com. http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2009/01/07/mandatory-csr-reporting-denmarks-largest-companies (accessed June 2011).
- GRI. 2011a. GRI network structure. http://www.globalreporting.org/network/network-structure/ (accessed June 2011).
- GRI. 2011b. GRI's G3 sustainability reporting guidelines. http://www.globalreporting.org/reporting/reporting-framework-overview/ (accessed June 2011).
- 2010. Exploring the constitutive conditions for a self-energizing effect of CSR standards: The case of the “Equator Principles”. IOU Working Paper No. 115, University of Zurich Institute of Organization and Administrative Science. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID1706267_code1308477.pdf?abstractid=1706267&mirid=1 (accessed June 2011). , , and .
- 1998. Multivariate data analysis, 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. , , , and .
- 2006. Breaking the brand: The social regulation of multinational corporations. Unpublished PhD dissertation, Clark University.
- 2009. Power in numbers: A call for analytical generosity toward new political strategies. Environment and Planning A 41(2): 284–301.
- 2004. The corporate social responsibility system in Latin America and the Caribbean. Policy Paper, Canadian Foundation for the Americas (FOCAL). http://www.commdev.org/files/1469_file_csr_04.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- 2001. Global commodity networks, ethical trade and governmentality: Organizing business responsibility in the Kenyan cut flower industry. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 26: 390–406.
- ICGN. 2008. ICGN statement and guidance on non-financial business reporting. http://www.icgn.org/files/icgn_main/pdfs/best_practice/buss_reporting/icgn_statement_&_guidance_on_non-financial_business_reporting.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- ICGN. 2011. About ICGN. http://www.icgn.org/about-icgn/ (accessed June 2011).
- 2007. Are the corporate social responsibility matters based on good intentions or false pretenses? An empirical study of the motivations behind the issuing of CSR reports by UK companies. Corporate Governance 7(2): 136–147. , and .
- KPMG. 2008. KPMG international survey of corporate responsibility reporting 2008. KPMG International. http://www.kpmg.com/EU/en/Documents/KPMG_International_Survey_Corporate_Responsibility_Survey_Reporting_2008.pdf (accessed May 2011).
- KPMG. 2010. Carrots and sticks—promoting transparency and sustainability: An update on trends in voluntary and mandatory approaches to sustainability reporting. KPMG Advisory N.C., United Nations Environment Programme, Global Reporting Initiative, Unit for Corporate Governance in Africa. http://www.unep.fr/shared/publications/pdf/WEBx0161xPA-Carrots&SticksII.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- 2003. A brief history of social reporting. Business Respect 51. http://www.businessrespect.net/page.php?Story_ID=857 (accessed June 2011). , and .
- 2010. Top ESG issues for 2010 proxy season. MSCI Inc. Supply. http://www.msci.com/insights/sri/csr/proxy_season.html (accessed June 2011).
- 2010. Extrinsic and intrinsic drivers of corporate social performance: Evidence from foreign and domestic firms in Mexico. Journal of Management Studies 47(1): 1–26. , and .
- 2009. Corporate social responsibility and financial performance: The “virtuous circle” revisited. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 32(2): 197–209. , and .
- 2004. What explains the uneven take-up of ISO 14001 at the global level? A panel-data analysis. Environment and Planning A 36(5): 823–839. , and .
- 2011. The role of institutional and reputational factors in the voluntary adoption of corporate social responsibility reporting standards. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 39(1): 136–157. , and .
- 2003. Corporate social and financial performance: A meta-analysis. Organization Studies 24(3): 403–441. , , and .
- 2010. Geographic variations in the early diffusion of corporate voluntary standards: Comparing ISO 14001 and the Global Compact. Environment and Planning A 42(2): 347–365. , and .
- 2009. Going beyond a long-lasting debate: What is behind the relationship between corporate social and financial performance? Working Paper, Cranfield School of Management. http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/dinamic-content/media/Research/Research%20Centres/Doughty%20Centre%20for%20Corporate%20Responsibility/3going%20beyond.pdf (accessed June 2011). , , , and .
- 2006. A view of corporate citizenship in Latin America. Journal of Corporate Citizenship 21: 21–24.
- SEC. 2010. SEC issues interpretive guidance on disclosure related to business or legal developments regarding climate change. Securities and Exchange Commission. http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2010/2010-15.htm (accessed June 2011).
- 2007. An empirical analysis of the strategic use of corporate social responsibility. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 16(3): 773–792. , and .
- Stratos. 2005. Gaining momentum: Corporate sustainability reporting in Canada. Stratos Inc. http://www.stratos-sts.com/documents/2005_Gaining_Momentum.pdf (accessed June 2011).
- UN Global Compact. 2011a. Progress & Disclosure. http://www.unglobalcompact.org/COP/index.html. (accessed June 2011).
- UN Global Compact. 2011b. UNGC and the global reporting initiative (GRI). http://www.unglobalcompact.org/COP/Performance_Indicators.html (accessed June 2011).
- UNEP FI. 2011a. What we do. http://www.unepfi.org/ (accessed June 2011).
- UNEP FI. 2011b. Regional activities: Latin America and Caribbean. http://www.unepfi.org/regional_activities/latin_america/index.html (accessed June 2011).
- UNPRI. 2011. About us. http://www.unpri.org/about/ (accessed June 2011).
- 2007. Interview. On Ceres, the GRI and corporation 20/20. Journal of Corporate Citizenship 26: 38–42.
- 1997. The corporate social performance-financial performance link. Strategic Management Journal 18(4): 303–319. , and .
- 2005. Responsible competitiveness: Reshaping markets through responsible business practices. AccountAbility. http://www.accountability.org/images/content/1/1/110/Full%20Report%20%28Compressed%29.pdf (accessed June 2011). , , and .