Vicarious Traumatisation as a Consequence of Jury Service
Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2008
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The Howard League and Blackwell Publishing Ltd
The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 1–12, February 2009
How to Cite
ROBERTSON, N., DAVIES, G. and NETTLEINGHAM, A. (2009), Vicarious Traumatisation as a Consequence of Jury Service. The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, 48: 1–12. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2311.2008.00539.x
- Issue online: 19 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 NOV 2008
- Date submitted: February 2008Date accepted: June 2008
- 2001) ‘Effectiveness of psychological debriefing’, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 104, 423–37. and (
- 1992) ‘Crisis debriefing of juries: a follow-up’, American Journal of Preventive Psychiatry, 4, 2–6. and (
- 2005) ‘Juror reactions to jury duty: perceptions of the system and potential stressors’, Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 23, 321–46. , , , and (
- 1989) ‘The Trauma Symptom Checklist (TSC-33): early data on a new scale’, Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 4, 151–63. and (
- 2004) ‘Juror stress: sources, severity and solutions’, Dissertations Abstracts International: Section B, 64 (8-B), 4027. (
- Criminal Justice System (2008) Witness Walkthrough – Support for Witnesses. Available at: http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/witness/walkthrough/support_for_witnesses/faq/index.html (accessed 8 February 2008).
- 2005) ‘Marathon trial cost juror her wedding and a job’, Daily Telegraph, 25 March. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/03/25/ntrial25.xml (accessed 8 February 2008). (
- DSM-IV-TR (2004) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Available at: http://dsmivtr.org/ (accessed 8 February 2008).
- 1991) ‘Crisis debriefing of a jury after a murder trial’, Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 42, 79–81. and (
- 1993) ‘Juror stress: identification and intervention’, Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 21, 409–17. and (
- 1995) Compassion Fatigue: Coping with Secondary Traumatic Stress Disorder in Those Who Treat the Traumatized, New York: Brunner Mazel. (
- 1997) Decision Making Under Stress, Aldershot: Ashgate. , , and (
- Floyd County (2008) Juror Information. Available at: http://www.floydcountyga.org/Courts/Juror_info.htm (accessed 8 February 2008).
- 2006) ‘Lay participation in legal decision making in Australia and New Zealand: jury trials and administrative tribunals’, in: M.Kaplan and A.M.Martin (Eds.), Understanding World Jury Systems through Social Psychological Research, New York: Psychology Press. and (
- 1979) ‘Impact of Events Scale: a measure of subjective stress’, Psychosomatic Medicine, 41, 209–18. , and (
- Jury Central Summoning Bureau (2007) Her Majesty's Court Service. Available at: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/jury_service/index.htm (accessed 8 February 2008).
- 2006) Understanding World Jury Systems through Social Psychological Research, New York: Psychology Press. and (
- 1992) ‘The occupational hazards of jury duty’, Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 20, 325–33. and (
- 1994) ‘Addressing juror stress: a trial judge's perspective', Drake Law Review, 43, 97–125. (
- 1999) ‘Decline of the ‘Little Parliament’: juries and jury reform in England and Wales’, Law and Contemporary Problems, 62, 7–40. and (
- 2004) Jurors' Perceptions, Understanding, Confidence and Satisfaction in the Jury System: A Study in Six Courts, London: Home Office. , and (
- 2004) ‘Reaching out to juries rocked by evidence’, The National Law Journal, October. Available at: http://www.law.com/jsp/law/LawArticleFriendly.jsp?id=1097686223509 (accessed 19 August 2008). (
- 1990) ‘Vicarious traumatization: a framework for understanding the psychological effects of working with victims’, Journal of Traumatic Stress, 3, 131–49. and (
- National Center for State Courts (1998) Through the Eyes of the Juror: A Manual for Addressing Juror Stress (NCSC Publication No. R-209), Williamsburg, VA.: National Center for State Courts.
- 2003) ‘Predictors of post-traumatic stress disorder and symptoms in adults: a meta-analysis’, Psychological Bulletin, 129, 52–73. , , and (
- 1998) ‘The Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview’, Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 59 (Suppl 20), 22–33. , , , , , , , and (
- 1994) ‘The health effects of jury service’, Law and Psychology Review, 18, 267–307. , and (
- 1970) Manual for the State–Trait Anxiety Inventory, Palo Alto, CA.: Consulting Psychologists Press. , and (
- 2003) ‘For jurors, stress of capital case can linger’, Washington Post, 21 Novermber, A1. and (
- 1999) Juries in Criminal Trials, Part Two: A Summary of Research Findings (Preliminary Paper 37(2)), Wellington, New Zealand: New Zealand Law Commission. , and (
- Vidmar, N. (Ed.) (2000) World Jury Systems, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2007) ‘Fights, friendships, sickies, sailing holidays and justice: life as a juror on the 13-month terrorism trial’, The Times, 3 May, 6–7. (