The authors’ affiliations are Monash University, Centre for Health Economics, Level 2, Building 75, Clayton, Vic. 3800, Australia. E-mail: email@example.com; +61 3 99058155; School of Economics, Finance and Marketing, RMIT University, School of Economics, Finance and Marketing. Level 12, 239 Bourke Street, Vic. 3000, Australia. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; +61 3 99255861. This study uses unit record data from the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey. The HILDA Project was initiated and is funded by the Australian Government Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) and is managed by the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research (Melbourne Institute). The findings and views reported in this study, however, are those of the authors and should not be attributed to either FaHCSIA or the Melbourne Institute.
Climbing the Job Ladder: New Evidence of Gender Inequity
Article first published online: 29 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Regents of the University of California
Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society
Volume 51, Issue 1, pages 129–151, January 2012
How to Cite
JOHNSTON, D. W. and LEE, W.-S. (2012), Climbing the Job Ladder: New Evidence of Gender Inequity. Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, 51: 129–151. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-232X.2011.00667.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 29 JAN 2012
- 1977. “Statistical Theories of Discrimination in the Labor Market. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 30: 175–87. , and .
- 2003. “Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden? Journal of Labor Economics 21: 145–77. , , and .
- 2007. “Is There a Glass Ceiling over Europe? Exploring the Gender Pay Gap Across the Wages Distribution. Industrial & Labor Relations Review 60: 163–86. , , and .
- 2003. Women Don’t Ask: Negotiation and the Gender Divide. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. , and .
- 2000. “Avenues of Attainment: Occupational Demography and Organizational Careers in the California Civil Service. American Journal of Sociology 106: 88–144. , , and .
- 2010. “Occupational Segregation and the Gender Wage Gap in Private- and Public-Sector Employment: A Distributional Analysis. Economic Record 86(273): 227–46. , and .
- 2008. “Glass Ceilings or Sticky Floors? Statistical Discrimination in a Dynamic Model of Hiring and Promotion. The Economic Journal 118: 961–82. .
- 2007. “New Evidence on Gender Differences in Promotion Rates: An Empirical Analysis of a Cross Section of Establishments. Industrial Relations 46: 511–50. , and .
- 2000. “Gender Differences in Pay. Journal of Economic Perspectives 14: 75–99. , and .
- 2003. “A Sticky Floors Model of Promotion, Pay and Gender. European Economic Review 47: 295–322. , , and .
- 2009a). “Gender Differences in Risk Behaviour: Does Nurture Matter?” IZA Discussion Papers 4026, Bonn, Germany: Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA). , and (
- 2009b). “Choosing to Compete: How Different are Girls and Boys”. IZA Discussion Papers 4027, Bonn, Germany: Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA). , and (
- 1999. “The Equal Pay Case – Thirty Years On. Australian Economic Review 323: 265–72. .
- 2001. “The Determinants of Earnings: A Behavioural Approach. Journal of Economic Literature 39: 1137–76. , , and .
- 2001. “Getting Ahead: The Determinants of and Payoffs to Internal Promotion for Young U.S. Men and Women.” In Worker Well-Being in a Changing Labor Market, Research in Labor Economics, edited by Solomon W. Polachek, pp. 339–72. New York: JAI Elsevier Science. .
- 2007. “Job Characteristics and Labor Market Discrimination in Promotions: New Theory and Empirical Evidence.” ILR Working Paper 5. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations. , , and .
- 2008. “Gender Differences in Deception. Economics Letters 99: 197–99. , and .
- 2004. “The Gender Wage Gap in Paid- and Self-Employment in Australia. Australian Economic Papers 43: 257–76. , and .
- 2008. “Men, Women and Risk Aversion: Experimental Evidence.” In Handbook of Experimental Results, edited by C. Plott and V. Smith, pp. 1061–73. Amsterdam: Elsevier. , and .
- 2005. “Do Race, Gender, and Age Differences Affect Manager-Employee Relations? An Analysis of Quits, Dismissals, and Promotions at a Large Retail Firm.” Unpublished manuscript. , , and .
- 2009. “Gender Differences in Competition: Evidence from a Matrilineal and a Patriarchal Society. Econometrica 77: 1637–64. , , and .
- 2003. “Performance in Competitive Environments: Gender Differences. Quarterly Journal of Economics 118(3): 1049–74. , , and .
- 1997. “The Impact of Psychological and Human Capital on Wages. Economic Inquiry 35: 815–29. , , and .
- 1999. “Labour Market Institutions and the Gender Pay Ratio. Australian Economic Review 32: 272–78. .
- 2009. “An Economic Theory of Glass Ceiling.” CMPO Working Paper No. 09/227. , , and .
- 1996. “Gender Differences in Promotions and Wages. Industrial Relations 35: 461–72. , and .
- 1996. “Equal Worth, Equal Opportunities: Pay and Promotion in an Internal Labour Market. Economic Journal 106: 401–9. , and .
- 2006. “Glass Ceiling or Sticky Floor? Exploring the Australian Gender Pay Gap. The Economic Record 82: 408–27.
- 1996. “Rat Race Redux: Adverse Selection in the Determination of Work Hours in Law Firms. American Economic Review 86: 329–48. , , and .
- 2010. “Glass Ceiling and Double Disadvantage Effects: Women in the US Labour Market. Applied Economics 42: 603–13. , and .
- 2008. “The Gender Gap in Early-Career Wage Growth. Economic Journal 118: 983–1024. , and .
- 2005. “Universal Features of Personality Traits from the Observer’s Perspective: Data from 50 Countries. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 88: 547–61. , and .
- 1996. “Promotions and Wage Growth. Journal of Labor Economics 14: 175–209. .
- 1987. “Job Discrimination, Market Forces, and the Invisibility Hypothesis. Quarterly Journal of Economics 102: 453–76. , and .
- 1994. “Effects on Earnings of the Removal of Direct Discrimination in Minimum Wage Rates: A Validation of the Blinder Decomposition. Labour Economics 1: 347–63. .
- 2007. “Do Women Shy Away From Competition? Do Men Compete Too Much? Quarterly Journal of Economics 122: 1067–101. , and .
- 2005. “The Effects of Personality on Earnings. Journal of Economic Psychology 26: 363–84. , and .
- 1996. “Gender, Race, and Promotions within a Private-Sector Firm. Industrial Relations 35: 276–95. , and .
- 2006. “Gender Differences in Promotion on a Job Ladder: Evidence from Finnish Metalworkers. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 59: 285–301. , and .
- 1972. “The Statistical Theory of Racism and Sexism. American Economic Review 62: 659–61. .
- 1999. “Equal Pay: Is the Pendulum Swinging Back? Journal of Industrial Relations 41: 561–74. , and .
- 2005. “Intrafirm Mobility and Sex Differences in Pay. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 58: article 3. , and .
- 2009. “Gender Differences in Financial Risk Aversion and Career Choices are Affected by Testosterone. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States 106(36): 15268–73. , , and .
- 2005. “A Meta-Analysis of the International Gender Wage Gap. Journal of Economic Surveys 19: 479–511. , and .