We would like to thank the two IJURR referees for their helpful comments on the submitted manuscript, particularly in pressing us to distil our main arguments. Earlier versions of this article have been presented at a number of seminars and conferences over the last few years. These include: the Annual Association of American Geographers in Chicago, April 2006; and Las Vegas, March 2009; the Revenge and Renewal conference, Newcastle University, August 2006; and at the Centre for Urban and Regional Development (CURDS), Newcastle University, 2008; the contributions from participants at these events are gratefully acknowledged. Thanks too to Chris Allen, Andrea Armstrong, Angus Cameron, Roy Coleman, Martin Jones, Colin McFarlane, Gerry Mooney, Beverley Searle, Tom Slater, Ian Watt and David Wilson for comments on earlier versions. We are culpable for remaining errors of fact, misrepresentation and analysis.
Stretching Urban Renaissance: Privatizing Space, Civilizing Place, Summoning ‘Community’
Article first published online: 29 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research © 2011 Urban Research Publications Limited
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 1–28, January 2012
How to Cite
MACLEOD, G. and JOHNSTONE, C. (2012), Stretching Urban Renaissance: Privatizing Space, Civilizing Place, Summoning ‘Community’. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 36: 1–28. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2427.2011.01067.x
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 29 SEP 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!