Gerald Hoekveld (1934), the first author of this article, died on 3 February 2011, almost literally with his pen in his hand after a long illness which in no way dampened his enthusiasm for intellectual work. He was a much loved and respected person in Dutch academic circles, where he was professor of Regional Geography at the University of Utrecht. On his retirement in 1998 he said that he ‘wanted to do something with ethics’, and then published a book and several articles on the subject. This was out of his conviction that ethics was important for social and political practice. He wanted this article to be closely related to the theory and practice of spatial planning, and asked me to write it with him. I was very happy to do so — Barrie Needham
Planning Practice between Ethics and the Power Game: Making and Applying an Ethical Code for Planning Agencies
Article first published online: 2 MAR 2012
© 2012 Urban Research Publications Limited
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research
Volume 37, Issue 5, pages 1638–1653, September 2013
How to Cite
Hoekveld, G. and Needham, B. (2013), Planning Practice between Ethics and the Power Game: Making and Applying an Ethical Code for Planning Agencies. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 37: 1638–1653. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2427.2012.01146.x
The authors thank the IJURR reviewers, whose suggestions were found to be very constructive and useful.
- Issue published online: 19 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 2 MAR 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!