I am indebted to Bill Bissell, Faisal Devji, Richard Harris and David Rifkind for their insights, ideas and suggestions for improving this article. The IJURR reviewers provided excellent criticism and advice on early drafts. I owe longstanding debts of gratitude for the hospitality and wisdom of Professor Alwiya Omar, Ahmed Sharif, the staff of the Lamu Fort and Zanzibar library, and the family of Captain A.Y. Jumbe. More than anyone, Ashley Cruce influenced my work by tutoring me in the cultural complexities of Swahili cities. Nevertheless, any shortcomings of the article are entirely my own.
Heritage in the Dynamic City: The Politics and Practice of Urban Conservation on the Swahili Coast
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2012
© 2012 Urban Research Publications Limited
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 215–237, January 2013
How to Cite
HEATHCOTT, J. (2013), Heritage in the Dynamic City: The Politics and Practice of Urban Conservation on the Swahili Coast. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 37: 215–237. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2427.2012.01154.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!