This article has benefited greatly from comments by the four IJURR referees. The author would like to thank Alec Murphy for reviewing earlier drafts of the article and providing many helpful suggestions. Any remaining flaws or errors are mine alone.
From Frontier to Bridgehead: Cross-border Regions and the Experience of Yunnan, China
Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2012
© 2012 Urban Research Publications Limited
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research
Volume 37, Issue 4, pages 1213–1232, July 2013
How to Cite
Su, X. (2013), From Frontier to Bridgehead: Cross-border Regions and the Experience of Yunnan, China. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 37: 1213–1232. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2427.2012.01191.x
- Issue online: 20 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2012
- 2007) Adam Smith in Beijing: lineages of the twenty-first century. Verso, London and New York. (
- 2003) Blinkered visions: Islamic identity, Hui ethnicity, and the Panthay Rebellion in southwest China, 1856–1873. Journal of Asian Studies 62.4, 1079–1108. (
- 2010) Jiakuai jianshe qiaotoubao tuidong Yunnan xinkuaiyue [Speeding up bridgehead construction and promoting Yunnan's regional development] [WWW document]. URL http://www.qstheory.cn/jj/qyjj/201010/t20101021_53146.htm (accessed 30 August 2011). (
- 2004) From ‘spaces of place’ to ‘spaces of flows’? Territorial and functional governance in cross-border regions in Europe and North America. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 28.3, 530–548. (
- 2004) New state spaces: urban governance and the rescaling of statehood. Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York. (
- 2009) Restructuring, rescaling, and the urban question. Critical Planning 16 (Summer), 61–79. (
- 2010) Rethinking world politics: a theory of transnational neopluralism. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (
- 2005) As borders bend: transnational spaces on the Pacific Rim. Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham, MD. (
- China Daily (2010) Yunnan gateway plan eyes broad Asian links. China Daily 3 August [WWW document]. URL http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2010-08/03/content_11083689.htm (accessed 10 August 2011).
- China Securities Journal (2010) Yunnan quyu zhenxing guihua youwang huopi [Yunnan's plan of regional rejuvenation may get approval]. 23 March [WWW document]. URL http://www.cs.com.cn/xwzx/03/201003/t20100323_2373790.html (accessed 16 January 2011).
- 2009) Russia's breakthrough into the Asia-Pacific: China's role. International Relations of the Asia-Pacific 10.1, 61–91. (
- 2003) Premodern flows in postmodern China: globalization and the Sipsongpanna Tais. Modern China 29.2, 176–203. (
- Evans, G. , C. Hutton and K.E. Kuah (eds.) (2000) Where China meets Southeast Asia: social and cultural change in the border regions. Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- Financial Times (2009) China to deploy foreign reserves. 21 July [WWW document]. URL http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b576ec86-761e-11de-9e59-00144feabdc0.html (accessed 13 June 2010).
- 2006) Asian borderlands: the transformation of Qing China's Yunnan frontier. Harvard University Press, Cambridge. (
- Government of the People's Republic of China (2010) Xibu dakaifa 10nian — Yunnan cong ‘datongdao’ dao ‘qiaotoubao’ [Developing the western region for 10 years — Yunnan from the ‘channel’ to a ‘bridgehead']. 5 July [WWW document]. URL http://www.gov.cn/jrzg/2010-07/05/content_1645588.htm (accessed 9 July 2010).
- 2006) The rescaling of governance in Europe: new spatial and institutional rationales. European Planning Studies 14.7, 881–904. (
- 2001) Ways of being ethnic in southwest China. University of Washington Press, Seattle. (
- 2003) The new imperialism. Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York. (
- 2007) In what ways is ‘The New Imperialism’ really new? Historical Materialism 15.3, 57–70. (
- 2010) The enigma of capital and the crises of capitalism. Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York. (
- 2007) Regions and regional uneven development forever? Some reflective comments upon theory and practice. Regional Studies 41.9, 1149–1160. (
- 2002) The future of the capitalist state. Polity, London. (
- 2003) Globalization and the national state. [WWW document]. URL http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/sociology/papers/jessop-globalization-and-the-national-state.pdf (accessed 3 July 2012). (
- 2005) Regional decentralization and fiscal incentives: federalism, Chinese style. Journal of Public Economics 89.9/10, 1719–1742. , and (
- 2009) Cross-border regions and territorial restructuring in Central Europe: room for more transboundary space. European Urban and Regional Studies 16.2, 177–191. (
- 1997) Spatial selectivity of the state? The regulationist enigma and local struggles over economic governance. Environment and Planning A 29. 831–864. (
- 2001) The rise of the regional state in economic governance: partnerships for prosperity or new scales of state power? Environment and Planning A 33.7, 1185-1212. (
- Kavalski, E. (ed.) (2010). The new central Asia: the regional impact of international actors. World Scientific, Singapore.
- 2008) Decentralized authoritarianism in China: the Communist Party's control of local elites in the post-Mao era. Cambridge University Press, New York. (
- 2010) Central–local relations in the People's Republic of China: trends, processes and impacts for policy implementation. Public Administration and Development 30.3, 177–190. (
- 1999) State policy and spatial restructuring in post-reform China, 1978–95. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 23.4, 670–696. (
- 1995) Federalism, Chinese style: the political basis for economic success in China. World Politics 48.1, 50–81. , and (
- 2008) Rethinking multi-level governance in a changing European Union: why metageography and territoriality matter. GeoJournal 72.1, 7–18. (
- 2006) Neoliberalism as exception: mutations in citizenship and sovereignty. Duke University Press, Durham, NC. (
- 1996) Territories, boundaries, and consciousness: the changing geographies of the Finnish–Russian border. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester and New York. (
- People's Daily (2011) Waishang ke zhijie yi Renminbi zai Yunnan bianjing zhoushi chuzi touzi [Foreign investors can use Renminbi to invest in Yunnan's border cities]. 16 January [WWW document]. URL http://yn.people.com.cn/GB/210654/210667/13741331.html (accessed 16 January 2011).
- 2007) The dragon looks south: China and Southeast Asia in the new century. Praeger, Westport, CT. (
- 2003) Cross-border regions in Europe. European Urban and Regional Studies 10.2, 153–171. (
- 2007) Policy entrepreneurship and multi-level governance: a comparative study of European cross-border regions. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 25.6, 861–879. (
- Perkmann, M. and N.-L. Sum (eds.) (2002) Globalization, regionalization and cross-border regions. Palgrave, London.
- 2008) The conflicting logics of cross-border reterritorialization: geopolitics of Euroregions in Eastern Europe. Political Geography 27.4, 418–438. (
- 1998) Federalism and the soft budget constraint. American Economic Review 88.5, 1143–1162. and (
- 2008) Hyperborder: the contemporary US–Mexico border and its future. Princeton Architectural Press, New York. (
- 2007) Cross-border and local co-operation on the island of Ireland: an economic perspective. Political Geography 26.5, 554–574. (
- 2008) Negotiating remote borderland access: small scale trade on the Vietnam–China border. Development and Change 39.4, 667–696. and (
- 2004 ) Triangulating the borderless world: geographies of power in the Indonesia–Malaysia–Singapore Growth Triangle. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 29.4, 485–498. , , and (
- 2012) Rescaling the Chinese state and regionalization in the Greater Mekong Subregion. Review of International Political Economy 19.3, 501–527. (
- 2009) Developing cross border regional innovation systems: key factors and challenges. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie 101.2, 150–160. (
- 2010) The great recession and China's policy toward Asian regionalism. Asian Survey 50.3, 520–538. (
- 2007) Restructuring industrial districts, scaling up regional development: a study of the Wenzhou model, China. Economic Geography 83.4, 421–444. , and (
- Xinhua (2010) China's Yunnan eyes deeper trade links with SE Asia with overland transportation. 23 September [WWW document]. URL http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/business/2010-09/23/c_13526607_2.htm (accessed 21 March 2011).
- Xinhua Yunnan Channel (2009) Yunnan-Laowo hezuo huiyi kaimu [Yunnan–Laos cooperation conference opening]. 23 June [WWW document]. URL http://www.yn.xinhuanet.com/gov/2009-06/23/content_16891223.htm (accessed 9 July 2012).
- Xinhua Yunnan Channel (2010) Qin Guangrong: fazhan linian de tupo cuisheng Yunnan jubian [Qin Guangrong: ‘The development of the concept of breakthrough in the birth of Yunnan changes’]. 1 February [WWW document]. URL http://www.yn.xinhuanet.com/gov/2010-02/01/content_18925262.htm (accessed 9 July 2012).
- 2009) Towards a better understanding of the political economy of regional integration in the GMS: Stakeholder coordination and consultation for subregional trade facilitation in China. Working Paper No. 77, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade, Bangkok. and (
- 2009) Between winds and clouds: the making of Yunnan. Columbia University Press, New York. (
- 2005) Multilevel governance in the cross-boundary region of Hong Kong–Pearl River Delta, China. Environment and Planning A 37.12, 2147–2168. (
- 2009) Strategic coupling of regional development in global production networks: redistribution of Taiwanese personal computer investment from the Pearl River Delta to the Yangtze River Delta, China. Regional Studies 43.3, 385–407. (
- 1967) Trade and expansion in Han China: a study in the structure of Sino–barbarian economic relations. University of California Press, Berkeley. (
- Yunnan Bureau of Statistics (1999–2010) Yunnan tongji nianjian [Yunnan Statistical Yearbook]. Zhongguo Tongji Chubanshe, Beijing.
- Yunnan Daily (2010) Quanli zhichi Yunnan jianshe Zhongguo mianxiang xinan kaifangde qiaotoubao [Fully support Yunnan's bridgehead construction]. 14 April [WWW document]. URL http://yn.yunnan.cn/html/2010-04/14/content_1140740.htm (accessed 17 January 2011).
- Yunnan Department of Commerce (2010) Yunnansheng Zhengfu he Haiguan Zongshu qianshu xieyi [Yunnan Provincial Government and the General Administration of Customs sign the memo] [WWW document]. URL http://18.104.22.168/canton_model47/newsview.aspx?id=1233926 (accessed 7 May 2010).
- 1999) Decentralization reforms and regionalism in China: a review. International Regional Science Review 22.3, 251–281. and (
- 2010) The Chinese Communist Party as organizational emperor: culture, reproduction and transformation. Routledge, London and New York. (
- 2007) Governing China's local officials: an analysis of promotion tournament model. Economic Research Journal 7, 35–50. (