The Experiences of Accession 8 Migrants in England: Motivations, Work and Agency
Article first published online: 15 JAN 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 IOM
Volume 49, Issue 2, pages 54–79, April 2011
How to Cite
Cook, J., Dwyer, P. and Waite, L. (2011), The Experiences of Accession 8 Migrants in England: Motivations, Work and Agency. International Migration, 49: 54–79. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2435.2009.00595.x
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 15 JAN 2010
- 2000 Doing the Dirty Work: The Global Politics of Domestic Labour, Zed Books, London.
- 2006 Fair Enough? Central and East European Migrants in Low-Wage Employment in the UK, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, York. , et al.
- 1979 The Myth of Return: Pakistanis in Britain, Heinemann Educational Publishers, London.
- 1995 Connecting Gender and Ageing: A Sociological Approach, Milton Keynes, Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and
- Audit Commission 2007 Crossing Borders. Responding to the Local Challenges of Migrant Workers, Audit Commission Publishing Team, London.
- 2000 Politics and the Roma in state Socialist Eastern Europe”, Communist and Post Communist Studies, 33: 421–427.
- 1994 Black Women in the Labour Market: Research Review, Equal Opportunities Commission, Manchester.
- Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) 2008 The Path To Citizenship: Next Steps In Reforming the Immigration System, Border and Immigration Agency Communications Directorate, London.
- Bradford Central and Eastern European Working Group (BCEEWG) 2006 A8 Migration in Bradford: A Template for Action, BCEEWG, http://www.bradfordinfo.com/themes/CoI/documents/Community%20reports%20PDF/Abridged%20A8%20Migration%20In%20Bradford.pdf.
- 1996 Whose myths are they anyway?: a comment”, British Journal of Sociology, 47(1): 175–177.
- 2004 The settlement patterns and residential histories of older Gujaratis, Punjabis and Sylhetis in Birmingham, England”, Ageing and Society, 24: 383–409.
- Business in the Community (BITC) 2000 “Gender”, BITC, http://www.bitc.org.uk/workplace/diversity_and_inclusion/gender/index.ntml .
- 1996 Movement, asylum, borders; Christian perspectives”, International Migration Review, 30(1): 7–17.
- Commission on Integration, Cohesion 2007 Our Shared Future, Crown Copyright, London.
- 2008 Migration Work and Citizenship in the Enlarged European Union, Ashgate, Farnham.
- 1999 Agency, modernity and social policy”, Journal of Social Policy, 28(3): 413–435. , and
- 2006 Employers’ use of migrant labour main report”. Home Office Online Report 04/06, Research Development and Statistics Directorate, Home Office, London. , et al.
- 2009 Poland: new maternity, paternity and parental leave entitlements”, http://www.worldlinklaw.com/businfo/poland/employment.htm . , and
- 2001 Retired EU migrants: healthcare rights and European social citizenship”, Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 23(3): 311–327.
- 2008 The new face of East-West migration in Europe”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 34(5): 701–716.
- Fife Research Coordination Group (FRCG) 2007 Migrant Workers in Fife Survey 2007, http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/uploadfiles/publications/c64_MigrantWorkersSurveyKnowFifeFindingsV1_2.pdf .
- 1996 Feminist fallacies: a reply to Hakim on women’s employment”, British Journal of Sociology, 47(1): 167–174. , et al.
- 2000 Women’s Work in France And Britain: Theory, Practice and Policy, Macmillan, Basingstoke. , and
- 2005 Migrating towards minority status: shifting European policy towards the Roma”, Journal of Common Market Studies, 23(4): 763–86.
- 2000 The consequences of anti-gypsy racism in Europe”, Other Voice 2(1): http://www.othervoices.org/2.1/hancock/roma.html .
- 2005 Beyond poverty, beyond Europe”, SAIS Review, Xv(2) (summer/fall): 181–185.
- 1995 Five feminist myths about women’s”, British Journal of Sociology, 46(3): 429–455.
- 2006 Migration as feminisation? Chinese women’s experiences of work and family in Australia”, Journal of Ethic and Migration Studies, 32(3): 497–514.
- Home Office 2006 Accession Monitoring Report May 2004-June 2006, Crown Copyright, London.
- ICoCo [Institute for Community Cohesion] 2007 New European migration: Good practice guide for local authorities, ICoCo, Coventry.
- 2004 Knowledge utilisation in public policy: the case of Roma population research in Slovakia”, International Social Science Journal, 56(179): 57–73. , and
- 2000 Gender and International Migration in Europe, Routledge, London. , et al.
- 2006 Cold shoulders and napkins handed: gestures of responsibility”, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 31: 193–207. , and
- Learning and Skills Council Yorkshire and Humber (LSCYH) 2007 Migrant Workers in West Yorkshire, LSCYH, North Yorkshire and Humber.
- 2008 The impact of migration from the new European Union member states on native workers”, Economics Department, University of Leicester, Leicester. , and
- 1997 Citizenship: Feminist Perspectives, Macmillan, Basingstoke.
- 2007 The social and economic experiences of asylum seekers, migrant workers, refugees and overstayers. Key findings on qualifications, learning and work”, report for the Yorkshire & Humberside Regional Migration Partnership, August. , and
- 2009 The rhetoric of the ‘good worker’ versus the realities of employers’ use and experiences of migrant workers”, Work, Employment and Society, 23(1): 142–159. , and
- 2005 For better or worse: exploring multiple dimensions of place meaning”, Journal of Environmental Pyschology, 25: 67–86.
- 2002 Qualitative Researching, Sage, London.
- 2008 Thinking through work: complex inequalities, constructions of difference and trans-national migrants”, Progress in Human Geography, 32(4): 491–507.
- 2009 Old and new European economic migrants: whiteness and managed migration polices”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 35(1): 19–36.
- 2007 Division, segmentation and interpellation: the embodied labours of migrant workers in a Greater London hotel”, Economic Geography, 83: 1–25. , , and
- 1997 Not Only for Myself: Identity, Politics and the Law, New Press, New York.
- 1992 Not Easy Being British: Colour, Culture and Citizenship, R.T. Trentham, London.
- 2004 Ethnic inequalities”, in A.Walker and C.Hagan Hennessy (Eds), Growing Older: Quality of Life in Old Age, Open University Press, Maidenhead: 35–59. , et al.
- 2008 Floodgates or Turnstiles? Post EU Enlargement Migration Flows To (and From) the UK, Institute for Public Policy Research, London. , , and
- 2008 Bosses called on to fund English lessons for staff”, The Observer, 24 February: 21.
- Ritchie, J., and L.Spencer (Eds) 2003 Qualitative Research Practice, Sage, London.
- 1997 “Structure and agency: the new research agenda”, in J.Bynner, L.Chisholm and A.Furlong (Eds), Youth, Citizenship and Social Change in a European Context, Ashgate, Aldershot Hants.
- 2008 Migrant workers in the ILO’s ‘global alliance against forced labour’ report: a critique”, Third World Quarterly, 29: 7.
- 2004 Workers wanted: employer recruitment of immigrant labor”, Work and Occupations, 31(4): 453–73.
- 1995 Gender segregation in societal context”, Work, Employment and Society, 9(2): 213–240. , and
- 2009 Family strategies and transnational migration: recent Polish migrants in London”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 35(1): 61–77. , et al.
- 2004 Power, difference and mobility: feminist advances in migration studies”, Progress in Human Geography, 28(4): 490–506.
- 2007 Migrants’ Lives Beyond the Workplace: The Experiences of Central and East Europeans in the UK, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, York. , et al.
- 2006 Assessing the Local and Regional Impacts of International Migration, final report of a research project for the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), formerly the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM), London. , et al..
- 2006 Early immigrants in Sweden: ‘otherness’ under construction”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 32(8): 1395–1375.
- Travellers Health Partnership Report (THRP) 2006 Roma Families in Leeds: A Social Audit of their Situation, Needs and Services, Leeds City Council, Leeds.
- 1997 Gender Transformations, Routledge, London.
- 2004 What constitutes agency and empowerment for women in later life? The Sociological Review, 52(1): 22–34.
- 2007 Theorizing and researching intersectionality: a challenge for feminist geography”, The Professional Geographer, 59(1): 10–21.
- 2002 Ethnic mobilisation and the political conditionality of European Union accession: the case of Roma in Slovakia”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 28(1): 83–101.