Family Migration: The Role of Children and Education in Family Decision-Making Strategies of Polish Migrants in London
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. International Migration © 2011 IOM
Volume 51, Issue 2, pages 90–103, April 2013
How to Cite
Ryan, L. and Sales, R. (2013), Family Migration: The Role of Children and Education in Family Decision-Making Strategies of Polish Migrants in London. International Migration, 51: 90–103. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2435.2010.00652.x
- Issue online: 21 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
- 2004A Community for Children? Children, Citizenship and Internal Migration in the EU, Ashgate, Aldershot. , and
- 1998Shifting Spaces, The Policy Press, Bristol.
- 2004Citizenship, migration and the valuation of care in the European Union”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 30 (2), 2004: 373–396.
- 2008Moving People and Knowledge: Scientific Mobility in an Enlarged EU, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham. , and
- 2004Untying and retying family migration in the New EuropeJournal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 30 (2), 2004: 229–241. , and
- 2000Linking migration and family studies: transnational migrants and the care of ageing parents”, in B. Agozino (Ed.), Theoretical and Methodological Issues in Migration Research, Ashgate, Aldershot: 61–91. , and
- Bryceson, D., and U. Vuorela (Eds.) 2002The Transnational Family: New European Frontiers and Global Networks. Berg, Oxford.
- Burrell, K. (Ed.) 2009Polish Migration to the UK in the “New” European Union, Ashgate, Aldershot.
- 2007Husband’s career first: renegotiating career and family commitment among migrant Chinese academic couples”, Work, Employment and Society, 21(1): 47–65.
- Department of Children, Schools and Families2008School Census, 2008, DCSF, London.
- 2004Polish undocumented immigrant, regular high skilled workers and entrepreneurs in the UK”, Working Papers 54 , Institute of Social Studies, Warsaw University, Warsaw.
- 2006Class and Ethnicity: Polish Migrants in London, CRONEM, University of Roehampton, Roehampton. , , and
- 2006Labour mobility in the enlarged European Union: international migration from the EU8 countries”, CMR Working Papers 14/72 , Warsaw University Centre of Migration Research, Warsaw University, Warsaw, http://www.migracje.uw.ed u.pl/index.php/Publications/Wp. , , and
- 2005From ethnic cooperation to in-group competition: undocumented Polish workers in Brussels”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 31(4): 675–697.
- 2004A utopian imagination in migration’s terra incognita? Acknowledging the non-economic worlds of migration decision making”, Population, Space and Place, 10: 239–253.
- Home Office2009Accession Monitoring Report 2009, Home Office, London.
- 2000Gender, Migration and Welfare in Europe, Routledge, London. , , and
- Lincoln Education Authority2007Poles Apart But Could be Closer, Lincoln Eduation Authority, http://www.schoolsnetwork.org.uk
- 2005Capital, Identities and Strategies for Success: Explorations of the Perspectives of East European Migrant Mothers on their Children’s Education in the UK, MA dissertation, Institute of Education, London.
- 2004Settled in mobility: engendering post-wall migration in Europe’, Feminist Review, 77: 7–25.
- 2008Floodgates or Turnstiles? Post-EU Enlargement Migration Flows to and from the UK, IPPR, London. , and
- 2007Migrant women, social networks and motherhood: the experiences of Irish nurses in Britain”, Sociology, 41 (2): 295–312.
- 2010Transnational Relations: family migration among recent Polish migrants in London, International Migration– available on early view.
- 2006Depression in Irish migrants to London: a case control study”, British Journal of Psychiatry, 188: 560–566. , , , and
- 2007Polish Migrants in London: Social Networks, Transience and Settlement, Middlesex University, London. , et al.
- 2008Social networks, social support and social capital: the experiences of recent Polish migrants in London”, Sociology, 42 (4): 672–690. , , and
- 2009Family strategies and transnational migration: recent Polish migrants in London”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 35 (1): 61–77. , et al.
- Ryan, L., and W. Webster (Eds) 2008Gendering Migration: Masculinity, Femininity and Ethnicity in Post-War Britain, Ashgate, London.
- 2007Understanding Immigration and Refugee Policy, Bristol: Policy Press.
- 2009Polish Pupils in London Schools: Opportunities and Challenges, Multiverse and Middlesex University, Middlesex. , , and
- 2004An ‘untied’ research agenda for family migration”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 30 (2): 263–282.
- 2006Representation across languages: biographical sociology meets translation and interpretation studies”, Qualitative Sociology Review, 2 (1): 7–21.
- 2008Wychowawacze i edukacyjne konsekwencje ‘euroemigracji’ rodzicow i opiekunow”, Problemy Opiekunczo-Wychowawacze, 48 (5): 21–26.
- 2005Global care chains: a critical introduction”, Global Commission on International Migration Working Paper Series, no. 44, GCIM, Geneva, http://www.gcim.org .
- 2001Migrant Women: Professionals in the European Union, Palgrave, Basingstoke.