The Impact of Anti-Immigration Policies and Perceived Discrimination in the United States on Migration Intentions among Mexican Adolescents
Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Author. International Migration © 2012 IOM
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 20–32, August 2012
How to Cite
Becerra, D. (2012), The Impact of Anti-Immigration Policies and Perceived Discrimination in the United States on Migration Intentions among Mexican Adolescents. International Migration, 50: 20–32. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2435.2012.00770.x
- Issue online: 12 JUL 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2012
- 1999 “Depressive symptomatology: prevalence and psychosocial risk factors among Mexican migrant farmworkers in California”, Journal of Community Psychology, 27: 457–471. , , , et al.
- 2001 “Models of acculturation and health behaviors among Latino immigrants to the US”, Social Science & Medicine, 53: 41–53. , , , et al.
- 2010 “Differences in perceptions of barriers to college enrollment and the completion of a degree among Latinos in the U.S.”, Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 9(2): 187–201.
- 2010 “Poverty and other factors affecting migration intentions among adolescents in Mexico”, Journal of Poverty, 14: 1–16. , , , et al.
- 1987 “Self-selection and the earnings of immigrants”, American Economic Review, 77(4): 531–553.
- 1989 “Economic theory and international migration”, International Migration Review, 23: 457–485.
- 2004 “Trends in Mexican migration to the United States, 1965 to 1995”, in J. Durand and D. Massey (Eds), Crossing the border: Research from the Mexican Migration Project, Russell Sage Foundation, New York: 17–44. , and
- 2010 “We are not criminals: social work advocacy and unauthorized migrants”, Social Work, 55(1): 74–81.
- 2008 “Language oppression and resistance: the case of middle class Latinos in the United States”, Ethnic and Racial Studies, 31(2): 390–410. , and
- 2005 “Bilingualism for children: implementing a dual language program in an English-only state”, Educational Policy, 19(5): 701–728. , , , et al.
- 1990 “Labor migration to the United States: development outcomes and alternatives in Mexican sending communities”, Final Report to the Commission for the Study of International Migration and Cooperative Development, The Center for U.S.–Mexican Studies/University of California, San Diego.
- 2009 “Perceived discrimination among three groups of refugees resettled in the USA: associations with language, time in the USA, and continent of origin”, Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health, 11(6): 505–512. , and
- 2000 Magical Urbanism: Latinos Reinvent the U.S. Big City, Verso, New York.
- 1995 “Better middle-schooling for Mexican-Americans”, Education Digest, 61: 43–70. , and
- 1996 “International migration and development in Mexican communities”, Demography, 33(2): 249–264. , , , et al.
- 2002 “Latino phenotypic discrimination revisited: the impact of skin color on occupational status”, Social Science Quarterly, 83(2): 612–623. , and
- 2003 “Acculturation stress, social support, and self-rated health among Latinos in California”, Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 5(3): 109–117. , and
- 2001 “The role of discrimination and acculturative stress in the physical health of Mexican-origin adults”, Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 23(4): 399–429. , , , et al.
- 2000 “Discrimination distress during adolescence”, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 29(6): 679–695. , , and
- 2004 “Sources of Mexico's migration stream: rural, urban, and border migrants to the United States”, Social Forces, 82(3): 937–967.
- 2006 “Self-reported discrimination and mental health status among African descendants, Mexican Americans, and other Latinos in the New Hampshire REACH 2010 initiative: the added dimension of immigration”, American Journal of Public Health, 96(10): 1821–1828. , , , et al.
- 2000 “Acculturation, familism, and alcohol use among Latino adolescent males: Longitudinal relations”, Journal of Community Psychology, 28(4): 443–458. , , and
- 1990 “The position of U.S. English on bilingual education”, The Annals of the American Academy and Political Science, 508: 48–61.
- 2000 “Levels of racism: a theoretic framework and a gardener's tale”, American Journal of Public Health, 90(8): 1212–1215.
- 1999 “The prevalence, distribution, and mental health correlates of perceived discrimination in the United States”, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 40(3): 208–230. , , and
- 2008 “Drug resistance strategies and substance use among adolescents in Monterrey, Mexico”, The Journal of Primary Prevention, 29: 167–192. , , , et al.
- 1984 Stress, Appraisal, and Coping, Springer, New York. , and
- 2004 “Migration, self-selection, and income inequality: an international analysis”, KYKLOS, 57: 125–146. , and
- 1986 La casa dividida: Un estudio de caso sobre la migración a Estados Unidos en un pueblo michoacano [The House Divided: A Case Study On Migration to the U.S. in a Town in Michoacan], El Colegio de Michoacán, México.
- 2004 “Migration strategies in urban contexts: labor migration from Mexico City to the United States”, Migraciones Internacionales, 2(3): 34–59.
- 1991 Research with Hispanic Populations, SAGE Publications, Newbury Park, CA. , and
- 2009 “Cultural specific youth substance abuse resistance skills: applicability and generalizabiltity on both sides of the US–Mexico border”, Research on Social Work Practice, 19(2): 152–164. , , , et al.
- 1992 “Determinants of savings, remittances, and spending patterns among U.S. migrants in four Mexican communities”, Sociological Inquiry, 62(2): 185–207. , and
- 2002 Beyond smoke and mirrors: Mexican immigration in an era of economic integration, Russell Sage Foundation, New York. , , and
- 1987 Return to Aztlan: The Social Process of International Migration from Western Mexico, The University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , , , and
- 1986 “Ethnic identities and patterns of schools success and failure among Mexican-descent and Japanese American students in a California high school: an ethnographic analysis”, American Journal of Education, 95: 233–255.
- 2001 “The politicization of Chicago Mexican Americans: naturalization, the vote, and perceptions of discrimination”, Aztlán, 26(2): 63–86. , and
- 2000 “Policy shifts in language-minority education: a mismatch between politics and pedagogy”, The Educational Forum, 64(3): 204–214.
- 1993 Latinos in a Changing U.S. Economy: Comparative Perspectives on Growing Inequality, SAGE Publications, Newbury Park, CA. , and
- Office of Immigration Statistics 2008 Immigration Enforcement Actions: 2007, US Department of Homeland Security, Washington, DC.
- 1991 “Immigrant and involuntary minorities in comparative perspective”, in M.A. Gibson and J. Ogbu (Eds), Minority Status and Schooling: A Comparative Study of Immigrant and Involuntary Minorities, Garland, New York: 3–33.
- 1993 “Variability in minority school performance: a problem in search of an explanation”, In E. Jacob and C. Jordan (Eds), Minority Education: Anthropological Perspectives, Ablex, Norwood, NJ: 83–111.
- 1991 La inmigracion en los Estados Unidos y el desarrollo de la pequeña empresa en la Republica Dominicana [Immigration in the United States and the Development of Small Business in the Dominican Republic], Facultad Latino-Americana de Cièncias Sociales, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. , and
- 2001 Legacies: The Story of the Immigrant Second Generation, The University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , and
- 1993 “The new second generation: segmented assimilation and its variants”, Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 530: 74–96. , and
- 1980 “Assimilation or consciousness: perceptions of U.S. society among recent Latin American immigrants to the United States”, Social Forces, 59(1): 200–224. , , and
- 1983 “Labor market discrimination against Hispanics and Black men”, Review of Economics and Statistics, 65: 570–579.
- 2008 “Crossing the immigration and race border: a critical race theory approach to immigration studies”, Criminal Justice Review, 11(1): 23–27.
- 2001 Ethnicities: Children of Immigrants in America, The University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , and
- 2003 “Re-thinking illegality as violence against, not by Mexican immigrants, children, and youth”, Journal of Social Issues, 59(1): 15–31.
- Southwest Interdisciplinary Research Center 2007 Los centros VIBA y la salud de sus jovenes [The VIBA Centers and the Health of Its Youth], Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
- 2002 “The social adaptation of children of Mexican immigrants: educational aspirations beyond junior high school”, Social Science Quarterly, 83(4): 1026–1043.
- 2005 “Revisiting the bilingual debate from the perspectives of parents: policy, practices, and matches or mismatches”, Educational Policy, 19: 729–744. , and
- 2005 “Identities under siege: immigration stress and social mirroring among the children of immigrants”, In M.M. Suárez-Orozco, C. Suárez-Orozco and D. Boilian-Qin (Eds), The New Immigration: An Interdisciplinary Reader, Routledge, New York: 135–155.
- US Census Bureau 2000 March 2000 Current Population Survey, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC.
- 2006 Race and Hispanic Origin in 2004, Population Profile of the United States, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC.
- 1998 “Assessing the stressful effects of racism: a review of instrumentation”, Journal of Black Psychology, 24(3): 269–288.
- 1995 “Cultural conflicts and problem behaviors of Latino adolescents in home and school environments”, American Journal of Community Psychology, 23: 167–179. , , , et al.
- 1985 “The mental health needs of Mexican American agricultural workers”, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 1(3): 47–55. , , , et al.
- 1995 “Immigration and ethnic and racial inequality in the United States”, Annual Review of Sociology, 21: 419–446. , and