Why Refugees Rebel: Towards a Comprehensive Theory of Refugee Militarization
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Author. International Migration © 2013 IOM
Volume 51, Issue 5, pages 133–148, October 2013
How to Cite
Lebson, M. (2013), Why Refugees Rebel: Towards a Comprehensive Theory of Refugee Militarization. International Migration, 51: 133–148. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2435.2012.00780.x
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2013
- 2003 “When is a refugee not a refugee? Flexible social categories and host/refugee relations in Guinea”, UNHCR Evaluation and Policy Analysis Unit, http://www.unhcr.org/research/RESEARCH/3ea55d0a4.pdf (accessed 12 December 2007).
- 2001 Using Conflict Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and
- 2001 “Appeal over Bangladeshi refugees in India”, BBC News, 15 November, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1656672.stm (accessed 4 February 2009).
- 2002 After Involuntary Migration: The Political Economy of Refugee Encampments, Lexington Books, Lanham, MD.
- Brown, M., O.R. Coté Jr, S.M. Lynn-Jones, and S.E. Miller (Eds) 2001 Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2004 “Ethnicity without groups”, in A. Wimmer, R.J. Goldstone, D.L. Horowitz, U. Joras and C. Schetter (Eds), Facing Ethnic Conflicts: Toward a New Realism, Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, MD: Ch. 2.
- 1998 “Ethnic and nationalist violence”, Annual Review of Sociology, 24: 423–452. , and
- 1995 “‘Hearts and minds’: bringing symbolic politics back in”, Polity, 27(4): 559–585.
- Cairns, E., and M. Roe (Eds) 2003 The Role of Memory in Ethnic Conflict, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
- 2004 “Greed and grievance in civil war”, Oxford Economic Papers, 56(4): 563–595. , and
- 2003 “Ethnicity, insurgency, and civil war”, American Political Science Review, 97(1): 75–90. , and
- Ferris, E. (Ed.) 1985 Refugees and World Politics, Praeger, New York.
- 1995 “Constructing social protest”, in H. Johnston and B. Klandermans (Eds), Social Movements and Culture, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, MN: Ch. 5.
- 2006 “Forced migration and armed conflict: an analytical framework and a case study of refugee-warriors in Guinea”, Arbeitspapier Nr. 1, Universität Hamburg – IPW,
- Goff, P., and K. Dunn (Eds) 2004 Identity and Global Politics: Empirical and Theoretical Elaborations, Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- 2003 “The geopolitics of Afghan refugees in Pakistan”, in S. Stedman and F. Tanner (Eds), Refugee Manipulation: War, Politics, and the Abuse of Human Suffering, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, DC: 57–94.
- 1970 Why Men Rebel, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2003 Why Muslims Rebel: Repression and Resistance in the Islamic World, Lynne Rienner, Boulder, CO.
- 2004 Ethnic Conflict in World Politics (second edition), Westview Press, Boulder, CO. , and
- 2008 “From ‘refugee warriors’ to ‘returnee warriors’: militant homecoming in Afghanistan and beyond”, Working Paper No. 5, CSCW/PRIO.
- 2009 Social Networks and Migration in Wartime Afghanistan, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
- 1994 “Structure and agency and the sticky problem of culture”, Sociological Theory, 12(1): 57–72.
- 1970 Exit, Voice, and Loyalty: Responses to Decline in Firms, Organizations, and States, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 1985 Ethnic Groups in Conflict, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA.
- 2002 “Odyssean and Rubicon refugees: toward a typology of refugees in the land of exile”, International Migration, 40(6): 3–22.
- Lake, D., and D. Rothchild (Eds) 1998 The International Spread of Ethnic Conflict: Fear, Diffusion, and Escalation, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2009 “Ethno-nationalism and violent projects of return: the effect of homeland attachment on refugees' engagement in conflict”, presented at the Annual Conference of the International Studies Association.
- 2004 “Exclusion, marginalization, and political mobilization: the road to hell in the Great Lakes”, in A. Wimmer, R.J. Goldstone, D.L. Horowitz, U. Joras and C. Schetter (Eds), Facing Ethnic Conflicts: Toward a New Realism, Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, MD: Ch. 4.
- 2003 “The situation of Burmese refugees in Bangladesh”, delivered at the Regional Conference on the Protection for Refugees from Burma, 6–7 November, http://www.burmalibrary.org/docs/CMP2003-11-07.htm (accessed 4 February 2009).
- 2000 “Refugee involvement in political violence: quantitative evidence from 1987–1998”, Working Paper No. 26, UNHCR Evaluation and Policy Analysis Unit.
- 2005 Dangerous Sanctuaries: Refugee Camps, Civil War, and the Dilemmas of Humanitarian Aid, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.
- 2005 Protracted Refugee Situations: Domestic and International Security Implications, Routledge, Oxford. , and
- 2008 “Burmese refugees in South and Southeast Asia: a comparative regional analysis”, in G. Loescher, J. Milner, E. Newman and G. Troeller (Eds), Protracted Refugee Situations: Political, Human Rights and Security Implications, United Nations University Press, Tokyo: Ch. 14. , and
- Loescher, G., and L. Monahan (Eds) 1989 Refugees and International Relations, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Loescher, G., J. Milner, E. Newman, and G. Troeller (Eds) 2008 Protracted Refugee Situations: Political, Human Rights and Security Implications, United Nations University Press, Tokyo.
- 2006 “Diasporas and homeland conflict”, in M. Kahler and B. Walter (Eds), Territoriality and Conflict in an Era of Globalization, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK: Ch. 5.
- 1995a Purity and Exile, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1995b “Refugees and exile: from ‘refugee studies’ to the national order of things”, Annual Review of Anthropology, 24: 495–523.
- 2003 “Political rights of refugees”, UNHCR Department of International Protection, Legal and Protection Policy Research Series, http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/pdfid/3fe820794.pdf (accessed 25 July 2010).
- 1996 Comparative Perspectives on Social Movements, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , and
- 1997 “Toward an integrated perspective on social movements and revolution”, in M. Lichbach and A. Zuckerman (Eds), Comparative Politics: Rationality, Culture, and Structure, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK: Ch. 6. , , and
- 2008 “Protracted refugee situations, conflict and security: the need for better diagnosis and prescription”, in G. Loescher, J. Milner, E. Newman and G. Troeller (Eds), Protracted Refugee Situations: Political, Human Rights and Security Implications, United Nations University Press, Tokyo: Ch. 4. , and
- Muggah, R. (Ed.)2006 No Refuge: The Crisis of Refugee Militarization in Africa, Zed Books, London.
- 2006 Rethinking Refugees: Beyond States of Emergency, Routledge, New York.
- 2006 “Refugees and the spread of civil war”, International Organization, 60(2): 335–366. , and
- Schlee, G. (Ed.)2002 Imagined Differences: Hatred and the Construction of Identity, Lit Verlag, Münster.
- Schlee, G. (Ed.) 2008a How Enemies are Made: Towards a Theory of Ethnic and Religious Conflicts, Berghahn Books, New York.
- 1992 “Master frames and cycles of protest”, in A. Morris and C. Mueller (Eds), Frontiers in Social Movement Theory, Yale University Press, New Haven, CT: Ch. 6. , and
- Stedman, S., and F. Tanner (Eds) 2003 Refugee Manipulation: War, Politics, and the Abuse of Human Suffering, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, DC.
- 1998 Power in Movement: Social Movements and Contentious Politics (second edition), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2002 Condemned to Repeat? The Paradox of Humanitarian Action, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.
- 2002 Ethnic Conflict and Civil Life: Hindus and Muslims in India, Yale University Press, New Haven, CT.
- 2003 “Nationalism, ethnic conflict, and rationality”, Perspective on Politics, 1(1): 85–99.
- 2007 “Ethnicity and ethnic conflict”, in C. Boix and S. Stokes (Eds), Oxford Handbook of Comparative Politics, Oxford University Press, Oxford: Ch. 12.
- 2000 “Collective identities and the development of conflict analysis”, in P. Coy and L. Woehrle (Eds), Social Conflicts and Collective Identities, Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, MD: Ch. 1. , and
- 2006 Ethnic Conflict: A Global Perspective, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2009 Case Study Research (fourth edition), SAGE Publications, Los Angeles, CA.
- 1986 “International factors in the formation of refugee movements”, International Migration Review, 20(2): 151–169. , , and
- 1989 Escape from Violence: Conflict and the Refugee Crisis in the Developing World, Oxford University Press, New York. , , and