Constance Classen holds a doctorate from McGill University, Montreal. Her Montreal address is 602 Côte St. Antoine, Westmount, Quebec, Canada H3Y 2K7. She has undertaken field research on ethnomedicine in Northwestern Argentina. Her current research centres on the history of the senses in the West. She is the author of Inca Cosmology and the Human Body (1993), Worlds of Sense: Exploring the Senses in History and Across Cultures (1993) and Aroma: The Cultural History of Smell (1994), co-written with David Howes and Anthony Synnott.
Foundations for an anthropology of the senses
Article first published online: 2 SEP 2010
International Social Science Journal
Volume 49, Issue 153, pages 401–412, September 1997
How to Cite
Classen, C. (1997), Foundations for an anthropology of the senses. International Social Science Journal, 49: 401–412. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2451.1997.tb00032.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 2 SEP 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!