Support for David Bloom's work on this article was provided by the Program on the Global Demography of Aging at Harvard University, funded by Award Number P30AG024409 from the National Institute on Aging. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institute on Aging or the National Institutes of Health.
Economic security arrangements in the context of population ageing in India
Article first published online: 27 SEP 2010
© 2010 The author(s). International Social Security Review © 2010 International Social Security Association
International Social Security Review
Special Issue: Social security and the challenge of demographic change
Volume 63, Issue 3-4, pages 59–89, July 2010
How to Cite
Bloom, D. E., Mahal, A., Rosenberg, L. and Sevilla, J. (2010), Economic security arrangements in the context of population ageing in India. International Social Security Review, 63: 59–89. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-246X.2010.01370.x
The authors thank Mukul Asher, Suman Bery, Sonal Desai, Roddy McKinnon, and Kavita Sivaramakrishnan for their useful comments, and Elizabeth Cafiero and Anup Karan for their help on this article.
- Issue published online: 27 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 27 SEP 2010
- 1995. A field of one's own: Gender and land rights in Asia. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- 2009. “Pension plans, provident fund schemes and retirement policies: India's social security reform imperative”, in ASCI Journal of Management, Vol. 39, No. 1.
- 2010. The global economic crisis: An opportunity for strengthening Asia's social protection systems? (Working paper, No.198). Tokyo, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- 2007. India's capital markets: Unlocking the door to future growth. Frankfurt, Deutsche Bank Research. < http://www.db.com/spain/content/downloads/DB_Research_Current_Issues_070214.pdf> (accessed on 14.06.2010).
- 2009. “Reforming pensions: Principles analytical errors and policy directions”, in International Social Security Review, Vol. 62, No. 1. ;
- 2005. Scaling up microfinance for India's rural poor (Draft). New Delhi, National Council for Applied Economic Research. ;
- 2010. Enhancing social protection initiatives in the developing member countries (Report to the Asian Development Bank). Boston, MA, Harvard School of Public Health (forthcoming). et al.
- 2009. “Social pensions and policy learning: The case of southern Africa”, in International Social Security Review, Vol. 62, No. 4. ;
- 1998. Widows in India. New Delhi, Sage.
- 2007. “Changing the development policy paradigm: Investing in a social security floor for all”, in International Social Security Review, Vol. 60, No. 2/3. ;
- 2008. The quality of medical advice in low income countries (Policy research working paper, No. 4501). Washington, DC, World Bank. ; ;
- 2009. Migration and human development in India (Draft). London, Overseas Development Institute. ;
- 2010. Evaluating India's national rural employment guarantee scheme: The case of Birbhum District, West Bengal (Working paper, No. 490). The Hague, Institute of Social Studies.
- 2009. “The battle for employment guarantee”, in Frontline, 16 January. ;
- 1995. Economic development and social opportunity. New Delhi, Oxford University Press. ;
- 1997. “Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data”, in Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 54, No. 2. ;
- ESA. 2009. World population prospects: The 2008 revision. New York, NY, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs — Population Division. < http://esa.un.org/unpp/index.asp> (accessed on 19.07.2010).
- 2009. A primary evaluation of service delivery under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM): Findings from a study in Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Rajasthan (Working paper, No. 1). New Delhi, Planning Commission of India.
- Government of Andhra Pradesh. 2009. Andhra Pradesh Self Help Groups (SHG) Women Co-Contributory Pension Act 2009. Hyderabad. <http://www.rd.ap.gov.in/insurance/AbhayaHastam_Bill.pdf> (accessed on 19.07.2010).
- Government of India. 2007. “Maintenance and welfare of parents and senior citizens Act, 2007”, in Gazette of India (Extraordinary), 31 December. http://socialjustice.nic.in/oldageact.php?format=largeprint> (accessed on 19.07.2010).
- Government of India. 2009. National health accounts, 2004-05. New Delhi, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- 2005. Old age income support in the 21st Century: An international perspective on pension systems and reform. Washington, DC, World Bank. ;
- 2000. Social risk management: A new conceptual framework for social protection, and beyond (Social protection discussion paper, No. 0006). Washington, DC, World Bank. < http://info.worldbank.org/etools/docs/library/80363/conceptfram.pdf> (accessed on 19.07.2010). ;
- 2009. “ ‘Capture’ of anti-poverty programs: An analysis of the National Rural Employment Guarantee Program in India”, in Journal of Asian Economics, Vol. 20, No. 4. et al.
- 2007. “For reducing poverty faster: Target reasons before people”, in World Development, Vol. 35, No. 11.
- 2006. “Diffusion of diagnostic medical technology and policy implications for India”, in International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, Vol. 22, No. 2. ; ;
- 2002. “Social risk management: A conceptual fallacy of composition”, in Risk Management: An International Journal, Vol. 4, No. 4.
- 2009. Public-private partnerships to reduce maternal mortality: Silver bullet and smoking gun? (Conference paper, XXVI International Population Conference, Marrakech, 27 September-2 October). <http://iussp2009.princeton.edu/download.aspx?submissionId=93495> (accessed on 06.08.2010). ;
- 2006. “Microcredit: Why India is failing”, in Rediff India Abroad, 10 November. <http://www.rediff.com/money/2006/nov/10spec.htm> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 2009. National health profile of India, 2009. New Delhi, Directorate General of Health Services — Central Bureau of Health Intelligence.
- 2008. “Andhra villagers now have pension on their fingertips”, in Business Standard, 2 September.
- 1995. “Income smoothing and consumption smoothing”, in Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 9, No. 3.
- 2010. “Hospitals complain to IRDA as insurance companies pull the plug”, in Times of India, 10 July. <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Hospitals-complain-to-IRDA-as-insurance-cos-pull-cashless-plug/articleshow/6149759.cms> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- National Sample Survey Organization. 1987. National sample survey: 43rd round. New Delhi, Ministry of Planning and Policy Implementation.
- National Sample Survey Organization. 1996. National sample survey: 52nd round. New Delhi, Ministry of Planning and Policy Implementation.
- National Sample Survey Organization. 2004. National sample survey: 60th round. New Delhi, Ministry of Planning and Policy Implementation.
- 2004. Do children act as old age security in rural India? Evidence from an analysis of elderly living arrangements. Cardiff, Cardiff Business School.
- 2005. Property rights of Indian women. < http://www.muslimpersonallaw.co.za/inheritancedocs/Property%20Rights%20of%20INdian%20Women.pdf> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- 2007. “HelpAge silver lining for senior citizens”, in Hindustan Times, 16 May. <http://www.hindustantimes.com/HelpAge-silver-lining-for-senior-citizens/Article1-223136.aspx> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- Planning Commission. 2007. Report of the Working Group on Competitive Micro-Credit Market in India: The Eleventh Five-Year Plan. New Delhi, Planning Commission — Development Policy Commission.
- 2009. “MP, AP unveil first public-private pension scheme”, in The Economic Times, 29 August.
- 2005. Yeshasvini Trust, Karnataka, India (Good and bad practices case study, No. 20). Geneva, CGAP Microinsurance Working Group. < http://www.microhealthinsurance-india.org/content/e22/e61/e651/e841/Yeshasvini_Trust_final.pdf> (accessed on 06.08.2010). et al.
- 2007. Population ageing, health and social security in India (Discussion paper, No. 3). Osaka, Osaka City University — Centre for Research on Economic Inequality.
- 2009. A rapid evaluation of the Rajiv Arogyasri Community Health Insurance Scheme: Andhra Pradesh — Final report. Hyderabad, Indian Institute of Public Health. ;
- Registrar General of India. 2009. Abridged life tables for India, 2002-2006. New Delhi, Ministry of Home Affairs.
- 2007. Estimating informal employment and poverty in India (Discussion paper, No. 7). New Delhi, United Nations Development Programme — Human Development Resource Centre.
- 2006. “Indian pension reform: A sustainable and scalable approach”, in D.Kelly et al. (ed.), Managing globalization: Lessons from China and India. New York, NY, World Scientific.
- 2009. Developing micro-pensions in India: Issues and challenges (Draft). Singapore, National University of Singapore — Lee Yuan Kew School for Public Policy. ;
- 2010. “Government tardy in implementing act on parents, elderly”, in The Tribune, 21 January. <http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100122/punjab.htm> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- 2004. Poverty targeting in Asia: Country experience of India (ADBI Discussion paper, No. 5). Tokyo, Asian Development Bank Institute. < http://www.adbi.org/files/2004.02.05.dp005.poverty.india.pdf> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- 2002. Size, contribution and characteristics of informal employment in India (Draft). Ahmedabad, Gujarat Institute for Development Research.
- 2008. “Crop insurance in India: A study”, in Journal of the Insurance Institute of India, January-June. <http://www.insuranceinstituteofindia.com/InsuranceInst/Publication/Uploads/Journal-Jan-June-2008/Journal08_%20pg15-17.pdf> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- 1999. Demographics of ageing in India: An abstract (Draft). New Delhi, University of Delhi — Institute of Economic Growth.
- World Bank. 2009. World development indicators (WDI) 2009. Washington, DC. <http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/world-development-indicators/wdi-2009> (accessed on 19.07.2010).
- 2010. “Beyond the count”, in India Today, 25 March. <http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/89821/Nation/Beyond+the+count.html> (accessed on 06.08.2010).
- 2008. “The health care systems of China and India: Performance and future challenges”, in Health Affairs, Vol. 27, No. 4. ;