I thank Stathis Kalyvas, Elisabeth Wood, David Mayhew, Kenneth Scheve, Ana Arjona, Carolina de Miguel, Abbey Steele, Joan Villarroya, Alexander Downes, Ignacio Sánchez-Cuenca, Ryan Sheely, José Luis Ledesma and Mario Chacón for comments, suggestions, and/or conversation on the themes in this article. I also thank the ISQ anonymous referees, and the participants in the Security and Governance Section of the Ninth Spanish Congress of Sociology, as well as the Comparative Politics Workshop at Yale University, where a first version of this article was presented in 2007. I am responsible for any remaining errors.
Rivalry and Revenge: Violence against Civilians in Conventional Civil Wars1
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2010
© 2010 International Studies Association
International Studies Quarterly
Volume 54, Issue 2, pages 291–313, June 2010
How to Cite
Balcells, L. (2010), Rivalry and Revenge: Violence against Civilians in Conventional Civil Wars. International Studies Quarterly, 54: 291–313. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2478.2010.00588.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!