Between 2000 and 2010, Chinese NOCs signed billion-dollar investment deals involving equity ownership of oil resources in countries like Iran, Venezuela, Nigeria, and Kazakhstan (US Energy Information Administration 2009). In other countries like Angola, the PRC subsidized NOC investment with hundreds of millions of dollars in economic assistance (Simao 2008). CNPC, largest of the NOCs, has financed port construction in Sudan, Pakistan, and Myanmar (Niazi 2005; Storey 2006). In 2006, it opened an overland pipeline from Kazakhstan into China through the city of Urumqi and in October 2009, CNPC began construction of a 500-mile overland oil and gas pipeline through from the Myanmar coast to the Yunnan city of Kunming (Blanchard and Aizhu 2010).
Great Powers and Strategic Hedging: The Case of Chinese Energy Security Strategy
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2011
© 2011 International Studies Association
International Studies Review
Volume 13, Issue 2, pages 214–240, June 2011
How to Cite
Tessman, B. and Wolfe, W. (2011), Great Powers and Strategic Hedging: The Case of Chinese Energy Security Strategy. International Studies Review, 13: 214–240. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2486.2011.01022.x
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!