This article is part of the first author's PhD dissertation, which was completed under the direction of the second author. Both authors are grateful to James Bradac, Ed Donnerstein, Dan Linz, Steve Chaffee, and Peggy Bowers for their helpful feedback during various phases of this study, as well as to Pam Gibbons and Helen Chen's assistance in data collection. In addition, we thank the editor, Cindy Gallois, and two anonymous reviewers for their useful suggestions that improved this article.
Words as Weapons—When Do They Wound? Investigations of Harmful Speech
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2006
Human Communication Research
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 260–301, December 1997
How to Cite
LEETS, L. and GILES, H. (1997), Words as Weapons—When Do They Wound? Investigations of Harmful Speech. Human Communication Research, 24: 260–301. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2958.1997.tb00415.x
- Issue published online: 17 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!