Few case series have shown efficacy of rituximab in resistant cases of pemphigus. There are individual case reports of use of rituximab in childhood pemphigus.
Efficacy and safety of rituximab treatment in Indian pemphigus patients
Article first published online: 17 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology © 2011 European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages e17–e23, January 2013
How to Cite
Kanwar, A.J., Tsuruta, D., Vinay, K., Koga, H., Ishii, N., Dainichi, T. and Hashimoto, T. (2013), Efficacy and safety of rituximab treatment in Indian pemphigus patients. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 27: e17–e23. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2011.04391.x
We have shown the efficacy of rituximab in the Indian pemphigus patients, for the first time. Clinical response showed good correlation with fall in anti-Dsg1 antibody indices, whereas there was only a partial reduction in anti-Dsg3 indices. Childhood pemphigus also responded to rituximab therapy.
Funding source This study was supported by Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research and Strategic Research Basis Formation Supporting Project from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, and by Health and Labour Sciences Research Grants and grants for Research on Measures for Intractable Diseases from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan. The study was also supported by grants from the Uehara Memorial Foundation, Nakatomi Foundation, Kaibara Morikazu Medical Science Promotion Foundation, Japan Lydia O’Leary Memorial Foundation, Cosmetology Research Foundation, Japanese Dermatological Association (Shiseido Award), Fukuoka Foundation for Sound Health, and Galderma K.K. (Galderma Award).
Conflict of interest None.
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 17 DEC 2011
- Received: 31 August 2011; Accepted: 21 November 2011
This article has been cited by:
- 1A comprehensive analysis of treatment outcomes in patients with pemphigus vulgaris treated with rituximab, Autoimmunity Reviews, 2015, 14, 4, 323, ,
- 2An assessment of treatment history and its association with clinical outcomes and relapse in 155 pemphigus patients with response to a single cycle of rituximab, Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2015, 29, 4, ,
- 3The Emerging Role of Rituximab in Autoimmune Blistering Diseases, American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, 2015, 16, 3, 167, ,
- 6Successful use of rituximab in the treatment of childhood and juvenile pemphigus, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 2014, 71, 4, 669, , , , , ,
- 7Preliminary analysis of mortality associated with rituximab use in autoimmune diseases, Autoimmunity, 2013, 46, 8, 487, ,
- 8Refractory pemphigus foliaceus and Behçet’s disease successfully treated with tocilizumab, Immunologic Research, 2013, 56, 2-3, 390, , , , , , ,
- 9Rituximab, Reactions Weekly, 2013, 1452, 1, 37
- 10Selective Elevation of Antibodies to Desmoglein 1 during the Transition from Mucocutaneous to Cutaneous Type Pemphigus Vulgaris, Annals of Dermatology, 2013, 25, 2, 263, , , , ,
- 11Rituximab in the Treatment of Pemphigus Vulgaris, Dermatology and Therapy, 2012, 2, 1, , ,