- • When some one gets cancer the doctor, most times, tells them about it and does not keep it a secret.
- • Because this can be very upsetting, the government pays for special training to help doctors and nurses to do this well.
- • The training does not include anything about the needs of people with learning disabilities.
- • Some people with learning disabilities were asked whether the doctor had told them when they were ill, and most of them said ‘no’.
- • Learning disability staff need to help doctors and nurses understand how to speak to people with learning disabilities. People with learning disabilities need to understand about their illness and be involved in decisions about their treatment.