- • This research is about people with learning disabilities who were referred to the North Belfast social work team.
- • There were 252 referrals between 1995 and 2005 but only 127 cases were closed.
- • Over a third of the people being referred had behaviour problems.
- • There were more people with autism referred in the second half of the 10 years.
- • A fifth of the people who were referred only found out they had a learning disability when they were aged 16 or over.
- • People with learning disabilities often have health problems but these were often not mentioned when people were referred.
- • This research matters to people with learning disabilities because it is important to know what problems people have and what help they need.