- • Many people with a learning disability are frightened when they are interviewed by the police.
- • They are worried that the police will not understand their story and sometimes keep quiet because they do not understand what is happening.
- • It can also be very worrying for a person with a learning disability if they have to attend court and give evidence.
- • The law allows for vulnerable witnesses to have access to support from a professional known as an intermediary.
- • The law does not yet support vulnerable offenders in this way, but It may now be possible to get professional support from an intermediary if you are an offender.
- • The intermediary might be able to help you communicate with the police and with people at court if you are a witness or an offender.