Human rights and the Beijing Olympics: imagined global community and the transnational public sphere1
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2012
© London School of Economics and Political Science 2012
The British Journal of Sociology
Special Issue: Olympic and world sport: making transnational society? Editors: Richard Giulianotti and Susan Brownell
Volume 63, Issue 2, pages 306–327, June 2012
How to Cite
Brownell, S. (2012), Human rights and the Beijing Olympics: imagined global community and the transnational public sphere. The British Journal of Sociology, 63: 306–327. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-4446.2012.01411.x
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2012
- (Date accepted: February 2012)
- 1993 Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism, London: Verso.
- Beijing Organising Committee for the Games of the XXIX Olympiad (BOCOG) 2008 Official Report of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, vol. 3, Beijing: BOCOG.
- 2004 ‘Expanding Dialogue: The Internet, the Public Sphere and Prospects for Transnational Democracy’, The Sociological Review 52(1): 131–55.
- 1995 Training the Body for China: Sports in the Moral Order of the People's Republic, Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- 2008 Beijing's Games: What the Olympics Mean to China, Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield.
- 2009 ‘Beijing's Olympic Education Program: Re-Thinking Suzhi Education, Re-Imagining an International China’, China Quarterly 197: 44–63.
- 1992 Media Events: The Live Broadcasting of History, Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press. and
- 2007 ‘Transnationalizing the Public Sphere: On the Legitimacy and Efficacy of Public Opinion in a Post-Westphalian World’, Theory, Culture & Society 24(4): 7–30.
- 2004 ‘The Globalization of Football: A Study in the Glocalization of the “Serious Life” ’, The British Journal of Sociology 55(4): 545–68. and
- 2012 ‘Mapping The Global Football Field: A Sociological Model of Transnational Forces within the World Game’, The British Journal of Sociology 63(2): 216–40. and
- 1989 The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere: An Inquiry into a Category of Bourgeois Society, Cambridge: MIT Press. Transl. Thomas Burger.
- 1992 ‘Further reflections on the public sphere’ in C. Calhoun (ed.) Habermas and the Public Sphere, Cambridge: MIT Press. Transl. Thomas Burger.
- 2001 The Postnational Constellation: Political Essays, Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. Transl. Max Pensky.
- International Olympic Committee 2000 Manual for Candidate Cities for the Games of the XXIX Olympiad 2008, Lausanne: IOC.
- International Olympic Committee 2009 Factsheet: Beijing Facts & Figures, update July 2009, Lausanne: IOC.
- 2008 ‘With a Month to Go Until Olympics, China Grows Anxious,’ McClatchy Newspapers, July 7, http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/v-print/story/43368.html
- 2007 ‘An Olympic Reprieve for China's Convicts’, Time online, 11 June, http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1631399,00.html
- 2005 He Zhenliang: Wuhuan zhi Lu [He Zhenliang and the Olympics], Beijing: Shijie Zhishi Chubanshe.
- 2008 Qinli shen Ao [Personal Experiences of the Olympic Bid], (Hangzhou: Zhejiang Renmin Chubanshe).
- 2004 International Sports Law, 2nd ed., Ardsley, New York: Transnational Publishers.
- 2007 ‘Amnesty wijst China op beloften’[‘Amnesty points out China promises’], de Volkskrant, 1 September.
- Nielsen Co. 2008 ‘The Final Tally – 4.7 Billion Tunes in to Beijing 2008 – More than Two in Three People Worldwide: Press Release’, 5 September. Hong Kong: The Nielsen Company.
- 2007 ‘ “Amnesty licht publiek vals voor over China”– IOC-lid Verbruggen valt mensenrechtenorganisatie aan’ [‘ “Amnesty is Deliberately Misinforming the Public about China”– IOC Member Verbruggen Attacks Human Rights Organization’], de Volkskrant, 1 September 2007.
- 1969 The Ritual Process: Structure and Anti-Structure, Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press.
- 2008 ‘Rogge says Olympics in “crisis” ’, USA Today, 10 April.
- 2008 China's Great Leap: The Beijing Games and Olympian Human Rights Challenges, New York: Seven Stories Press. (ed.)
- 2007 Shehuizhuyi yu Renquan [Socialism and Human Rights], Shanghai: Xuelin Chubanshe.
- 2009 Titan Fengyun [Stormy Weather in the World of Sports], Nanjing: Jiangsu Renmin Chubanshe.