Bring Race to the Center: The Importance of Race in Racially Diverse Religious Organizations
Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2008
2008 The Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion
Volume 47, Issue 1, pages 5–9, March 2008
How to Cite
EDWARDS, K. L. (2008), Bring Race to the Center: The Importance of Race in Racially Diverse Religious Organizations. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 47: 5–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5906.2008.00387.x
- Issue online: 12 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 12 MAR 2008
- 2003. Whitewashing race: A critical perspective on whiteness. In White out: The continuing significance of racism, edited by A. W.Doane and E.Bonilla-Silva, pp. 21–34. New York : Routledge Press.
- 1995. Race, religion, and nationality in American society: A model of ethnicity—from contact to assimilation. Journal of American Ethnic History 14:38–101.
- 1998. Making inclusive communities: Congregations and the “problem” of race. Social Problems 45:451–71. .
- 1977. Inequality and heterogeneity: A primitive theory of social structure. New York : Free Press. .
- 1984. Crosscutting social circles. Orlando , FL : Academic Press. .
- 2001. White supremacy and racism in the post-civil rights era. Boulder, CO : Lynne Rienner. .
- 1998. National congregations study. Data file and codebook. Tucson , AZ : University of Arizona, Department of Sociology. .
- 1999. The national congregations study: Background, methods, and selected results. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 38:458–76. , , , and .
- 2005. Against all odds: The struggle for racial integration in religious organizations. New York : New York University Press. , , and .
- 1988. Mapping the terrain: Definitions. In Ethnicity and race: Making identities in a changing world, edited by S.Cornell and D.Hartman. Thousand Oaks , CA : Pine Forge Press. and .
- 2003. Rethinking whiteness studies. In White out: The continuing significance of racism, edited by A. W.Doane and E.Bonilla-Silva, pp. 4–18. New York : Routledge Press.
- 2008. The elusive dream: The power of race in interracial churches. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2000. Divided by faith: Evangelical religion and the problem of race in America. New York : Oxford University Press. and .
- 2001. White racism: The basics, 2nd ed. New York : Routledge. , , and .
- 1993. “Was blind, but now I see”: White race consciousness and the requirement of discriminatory intent. Michigan Law Review 91:953. .
- 1993. White women, race matters: The social construction of whiteness. Minneapolis , MN : University of Minnesota Press. .
- 1999. Across cultural divides: The values of a superordinate identity. In Cultural divides: Understanding and overcoming group conflict, edited by D. A.Prentice and D. T.Miller. New York : Russell Sage Foundation. , , , , and .
- 1989. Reducing intergroup bias: The benefits of recategorization. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 57:239–49. , , , and .
- 2003. White on arrival: Italians, race, color, and power in Chicago 1890–1945. New York : Oxford University Press. .
- 1999. Racial situations: Class predicaments of whiteness in Detroit. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. .
- 1999. Whiteness of a different color: European immigrants and the alchemy of race. Cambridge : Harvard University Press. .
- 2004. “What group?” Studying whites and whiteness in the era of “color-blindness.” Sociological Theory 22:623–46.
- 1998. The possessive investment in whiteness: How white people profit from identity politics. Philadelphia , PA : Temple University Press. .
- 1996. White by law: The legal construction of race. New York : New York University Press. .
- 2005. A mosaic of believers: Diversity and innovation in a multiethnic church. Bloomington , IN : Indiana University Press. .
- 1992. Social networks and organizational dynamics. American Sociological Review 57:153–70. , , and .
- 1987. Homophily in voluntary organizations: Status distance and the composition of face-to-face groups. American Sociological Review 52:370–79. and .
- 2003. White supremacy as socio-political system: A philosophical perspective. In White out: The continuing significance of racism, edited by A. W.Doane and E.Bonilla-Silva, pp. 35–48. New York : Routledge. .
- 1994. Racial formation in the United States: From the 1960s to 1990s. New York : Routledge. and .
- 1995. On the edge or in between: Niche position, niche overlap, and the duration of voluntary association memberships. American Journal of Sociology 101:698–720. and .
- 1985. Racial attitudes in America: Trends and interpretations. Cambridge : Harvard University Press. , , and .
- 2006. Strategic ethnicity: The construction of multiracial/multiethnic religious community. Ethnic and Racial Studies 29:856–81. .
- 1998. Forever foreigners or honorary whites?: The Asian ethnic experience today. New Brunswick , NJ : Rutgers University Press. .
- 1990. Ethnic options: Choosing identities in America. Berkeley , CA : University of California Press. .
- 1993. Portraits of white racism. New York : Cambridge University Press.