Religion and Altruistic U.S. Foreign Policy Goals: Evidence from a National Survey of Church Members
Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2008
© 2008 The Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion
Volume 47, Issue 2, pages 191–209, June 2008
How to Cite
WUTHNOW, R. and LEWIS, V. (2008), Religion and Altruistic U.S. Foreign Policy Goals: Evidence from a National Survey of Church Members. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 47: 191–209. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5906.2008.00402.x
- Issue online: 22 MAY 2008
- Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2008
- 2005. Pillars of faith: American congregations and their partners. Berkeley and Los Angeles : University of California Press.
- 1998. Religion and global affairs: Religious “militants for peace. SAIS Review 18:38–44.
- 2005. Missiometrics 2005: A global survey of world mission. International Bulletin of Missionary Research 29:27–30. , , and .
- 2001. Debunking myths about foreign aid. Christian Century (August 1–8):26–28.
- 2003. Religious nongovernmental organizations: An exploratory analysis. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 14:15–39.
- 1994. Religion and globalization. Thousand Oaks , CA : Sage.
- 2002. Worldviews 2002. Chicago : Chicago Council on Foreign Relations. .
- 2000. Beyond “identity.” Theory and Society 29:1–47. and .
- 2004. The politics of aids: Engaging conservative activists. Foreign Affairs 83:1–5.
- 1994. Social theory and the politics of identity. In Social theory and the politics of identity, edited by C.Calhoun, pp. 9–36. Oxford : Blackwell.
- 2006. God's potters: Pastoral leadership and the shaping of congregations. Grand Rapids , MI : Eerdmans. .
- 1993. Beyond establishment: Protestant identity in a post-Protestant age. Louisville : Westminster/John Knox Press. and .
- 1997. Identity construction: New issues, new directions. Annual Review of Sociology 23:285–489. .
- 2004. Congregations in America. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press.
- Chicago Council on Foreign Relations. 2002. Harris Interactive/CCFR Poll: American public opinion and US foreign policy, 2002: General Public Codebook. Storrs , CT : Roper Center for Public Opinion Research.
- 1993. Tradition in a rootless world: Women turn to Orthodox Judaism. Berkeley and Los Angeles : University of California Press.
- 1988. Catholic relief services: The beginning years. New York : Catholic Relief Services.
- 2004. Bringing religion into international relations. New York : Palgrave Macmillan. and .
- 2003. Global Catholicism: Portrait of a world church. Maryknoll , NY : Orbis. and .
- 2005. The American religious landscape and political attitudes: A baseline for 2004. Washington, DC: Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.
- 2004. Evangelicals in America: Report to religion and ethics newsweekly. Washington, DC: Greenberg, Quinlan, Rosner Research Inc. and .
- 2006. Religion and politics in the international system today. New York : Cambridge University Press. .
- 2002. The “invisible” NGO: US evangelical missions in Kenya. Journal of Religion in Africa 32:32–60.
- 2002. Opinion roundup: Is attacking Iraq moral? Christianity Today: Online.
- 2004. Freeing God's children: The unlikely alliance for global human rights. Boston : Rowman & Littlefield.
- 1994. Religion and the American political culture: Alternative models of citizenship and discipleship. Sociology of Religion 56:271–84.
- 1996. Social identity. London : Routledge.
- 2002. The next Christendom: The coming of global Christianity. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2003. Faith-based diplomacy: Trumping realpolitik. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2005. The chosen nation: The influence of religion on U.S. foreign policy. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Policy Brief 37:1–8.
- 2003. Terror in the mind of God: The global rise of religious violence. Berkeley and Los Angeles : University of California Press.
- 2001. Importance of foreign aid is hitting home. USA Today (December 3):Online.
- 2002. Love your enemies? Protestants and foreign policy in the United States. In The quiet hand of god: Faith-based activism and the public role of mainline protestantism, edited by R.Wuthnow and J.Evans, pp. 364–80. Berkeley and Los Angeles : University of California Press. and .
- 2003. Holy terrors: Thinking about religion after September 11. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2003. With God on their side: Religion and U.S. foreign policy. In Religion returns to the public square: Faith and policy in America, edited by H.Heclo and W. M.McClay, pp. 327–59. Washington DC and Baltimore : Woodrow Wilson Center Press and Johns Hopkins Press. .
- 2004. Christian fundamentalists and public opinion toward the Middle East: Israel's new best friends Social Science Quarterly 85:695–712.
- 2004. American nationalism and U.S. foreign policy from September 11 to the Iraq war. Political Science Quarterly 119:399–423.
- 2006. God's country? Foreign Affairs 85. Available at http://fullaccess.foreignaffairs.org.
- 2002. Healing a broken world: Globalization and God. Minneapolis , MN : Augsburg Fortress. .
- 1999. Walking with the poor: Principles and practices of transformational development. Maryknoll , NY : Orbis Books.
- 2003. America's God: From Jonathan Edwards to Abraham Lincoln. New York : Oxford University Press.
- 2004. The rise of evangelicalism: The age of Edwards, Whitefield, and the Wesleys. Downers Grove , IL : InterVarsity Press.
- 2005. Foreign operations (house)/state, foreign operations, and related programs (senate): FY 2006 appropriations. Washington, DC: Catholic Relief Services, Foreign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division.
- 2005. Christian right's alliances bend political spectrum. USA Today (June 14).
- 2006. American theocracy: The peril and politics of radical religion, oil, and borrowed money in the 21st century. New York : Viking.
- 2002. The challenge of September 11 to secularism in international relations. World Politics 55:66–95.
- 2002. Altruism and altruistic love: Science, philosophy, and religion in dialogue. New York : Oxford University Press. , , , and .
- 2006. Do response rates matter in RDD telephone surveys Public Research Institute Theory and Method (November 13). Available at pri.sfsu.edu. .
- 1998. Clarifying the foreign aid puzzle: A comparison of American, Japanese, French, and Swedish aid flows. World Politics 50:294–323. , , and .
- 2005. Onward Christian Soldiers? Religion and the Bush doctrine. Christianity Today 11:5–6.
- 1990. More than altruism: The politics of private foreign aid. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1998. American evangelicalism: Embattled and thriving. Chicago : University of Chicago Press.
- 2003. Altruism in contemporary America: A report from the national altruism study, GSS topical report no. 34. University of Chicago, National Opinion Research Center , Chicago .
- 2006. American evangelists and church-state dilemmas in multiple African contexts. In Freedom's distant shores: American Protestants and post-colonial alliances with Africa, edited by R. DrewSmith, pp. 143–54. Waco , TX : Baylor University Press.
- 2000. The measure of American religion: Toward improving the state of the art. Social Forces 79:291–318. , , , , , and .
- 2000. The past, present and future of an identity theory. Social Psychology Quarterly 63:284–97. and .
- 2004. Building communities of character: Foreign aid policy and faith-based organizations. SAIS Review 24:133–48.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2000. Urban/rural and metropolitan/nonmetropolitan population: 2000. Census 2000 Summary File 1. Available at http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-P1&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-format=US-1. Accessed June 1, 2006.
- 2004. Evangelicals give U.S. foreign policy an activist tinge. Wall Street Journal (May 26).
- WCC Central Committee. 2002. Major features of globalization affecting the church. Ecumenical Review 54:483–94.
- 1993. Are the sheep hearing the shepherds? Cue perceptions, congregational responses, and political communication processes. In Rediscovering the religious factor in American politics, edited by D.C.Leege and L.A.Kellstedt, pp. 235–54. New York : M.E. Sharpe. , , , and .
- 1999. Pursuing partnership: World Vision and the ideology of development–A case study. Development in Practice 9:410–23.
- 2006. Generalized ordered logit/partial proportional odds models for ordinal dependent variables. STATA Journal 6:58–82.
- 2004. Saving America? Faith-based services and the future of civil society. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 2005. Poll positions. Foreign Affairs 54:1–5.
- 2004. Explaining foreign policy: U.S. decision-making and the Persian Gulf war. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2004. Christianity and human rights: A sociological assessment of the “rise of the religious right” in America and the consequences of that on human rights concerns in the U.S. and the third world. Christianity and human rights: The Fourth Annual Lilly Fellows Program, Louisville.