The Liberalization of Young Evangelicals: A Research Note
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2010
© 2010 The Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion
Volume 49, Issue 2, pages 351–360, June 2010
How to Cite
Smith, B. G. and Johnson, B. (2010), The Liberalization of Young Evangelicals: A Research Note. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 49: 351–360. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5906.2010.01514.x
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2010
- ABC World News Tonight. 2008. Are young Evangelicals skewing more liberal?: Observers say younger Christians have longer, broader list of social concerns. Dan Harris , February 10, 2008.
- 2000. Emerging adulthood: A theory of development from the late teens through the twenties. American Psychologist 55(5):469–80. .
- 2004. Emerging adulthood: The winding road from late teens through the twenties. New York : Oxford University Press. .
- 2007. American piety 2005: Methods and select findings from the Baylor Religion Survey. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 46(4):447–63. , , and .
- 2006. Letters to a young evangelical. New York : Basic Books. .
- 2008. Red letter Christians. Ventura , CA : Regal. .
- 2002. The new faithful: Why young adults are embracing Christian orthodoxy. Chicago , IL : Loyola Press. .
- 2007. Young white evangelicals: Less Republican, still conservative. Washington , DC : Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life . Available at http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=250, accessed April 9, 2010. .
- 2009. Faith beyond his father's. Newsweek, January 17, 2009. Available at http://www.newsweek.com/id/180107, accessed April 9, 2010. and .
- 2007. Recovering the lost: Remeasuring U.S. religious affiliation. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 46(4):483–500. , , and .
- 2008. “Young, evangelical … for Obama?” Seattle Times, May 11, 2008. Available at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004406277_evangvote11m.html, accessed April 9, 2010. .
- 1954. Measures of association for cross classifications. Journal of the American Statistical Association 49(268):732–64. and .
- 2009. American Religious Identification Survey 2008, Summary Report. Hartford , CT : Trinity College. and .
- 2006. Are young evangelicals leaning left Generation Next, PBS, November 21, 2006. Available at http://www.pbs.org/newshour/generation-next/demographic/religion3_11-21.html, accessed April 9, 2010. .
- 2005. Soul searching: The religious and spiritual lives of American teenagers. New York : Oxford University Press. and .
- 2009. Souls in transition: The religious and spiritual lives of emerging adults. New York : Oxford University Press. and .
- 1987. A theory of religion. New York : David Lang. and .
- 2000. The measure of American religion: Toward improving the state of the art. Social Forces 79(1):291–318. , , , , , and .
- 2006. God's politics: Why the right gets it wrong and the left doesn't get it. San Francisco , CA : Harper. .
- Among evangelicals, a transformation. National Review, December 21, 2007. Available at http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=ZTRmZTE2OTc3YjlmMGQ4YzBlYTYxODYzMmQ4OTdiMDY, accessed April 9, 2010. .
- 2009a. Young evangelicals cheer Obama—For now. Forbes, January 22, 2009a. Available at http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/21/evangelicals-polls-obama-oped-cx_jz_0122zogby.html, accessed April 9, 2010. .
- 2009b. GOP's Christian Right pact costs votes. Forbes, April 8, 2009b. Available at http://www.Forbes.com/2009/04/08/christian-right-republican-party-opinions-columnists-john-zogby.html, accessed April 9, 2010. .