Thanks to three anonymous referees for helpful comments. The usual disclaimer applies.
UK Economic Policy and the Global Financial Crisis: Paradigm Lost?*
Article first published online: 20 OCT 2009
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies
Special Issue: European Perspectives on the Global Financial Crisis
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 1041–1061, November 2009
How to Cite
HODSON, D. and MABBETT, D. (2009), UK Economic Policy and the Global Financial Crisis: Paradigm Lost?. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, 47: 1041–1061. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5965.2009.02034.x
- Issue published online: 20 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 20 OCT 2009
- 2001) ‘The Economic Analysis Underlying the “Third Way. New Political Economy, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 255–78. and (
- Bank of England (1998) ‘Statement by the Governor’. News Release, Bank of England, London, 21 October.
- Bank of England (2009) Annual Report (London: Bank of England).
- 2005) ‘The Housing Market and the Wider Economy’. Institute for Economic Affairs, London. (
- 2009) ‘Regulation and Supervision of Financial Intermediaries in the EU: The Aftermath of the Financial Crisis. JCMS, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 1107–28. (
- 1999) ‘The Rationale for a Single National Financial Services Regulator’. Financial Services Authority Occasional Paper, No. 2. (
- 1999) ‘The Conditions for Full Employment’. The Mais Lecture, Cass Business School, City University, London. (
- 2009) The Fundamental Principles of Financial Regulation (Geneva: International Centre for Monetary and Banking Studies). , , , and (
- 2009) ‘The Unfortunate Uselessness of Most “State of the Art” Academic Monetary Economics’. Financial Times, 3 March. Full text available at: «http://blogs.ft.com/maverecon/2009/03/the-unfortunate-uselessness-of-most-state-of-the-art-academic-monetary-economics. (
- 2001) ‘New Labour and the Politics of Depoliticization. British Journal of Politics & International Relations, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 127–49. (
- 2006) Macroeconomics: Imperfections, Institutions and Policies (Oxford: Oxford University Press). and (
- 2006) ‘Complexity, Constraint and New Labour's Putative Neo-liberalism. British Journal of Political Science, Vol. 37, No 2, pp. 378–81. and (
- 2009) Central Banking in a Free Society (London: Institute for Economic Affairs). (
- Conservative Party (2008) ‘Reconstruction: Plan for a Strong Economy. Plan for Change’. Conservative Party, London.
- Conservative Party (2009) ‘From Crisis to Confidence: Plan for Sound Banking’. Policy White Paper, Conservative Party, London.
- 2008) ‘Financial Crisis: Can the Bank of England's Mervyn King survive?. Daily Telegraph, 30 September. , and (
- 2008) ‘Maintaining Stability in a Global Economy’. The Mais Lecture, Cass Business School, City University, London. (
- 2009) ‘It is Time for Debate on How to Cut Public Spending. Financial Times, 30 April. (
- 2008) Global Financial Regulation (Cambridge: Polity). and (
- 2004) ‘Prosperity and Fairness? Can New Labour Bring Fairness to the 21st Century by Following the Dictates of Endogenous Growth? British Journal of Politics & International Relations, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 213–30. (
- 1982) ‘Milton Friedman and Thatcher's Monetarist Experience. Journal of Economic Issues, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 525–33. (
- 1995) ‘Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated? Oxford Economic Papers, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 539–60. and (
- 2004) ‘The New Bank of England Quarterly Model. Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 188–93. (
- 1993) ‘Policy Paradigms, Social Learning, and the State: The Case of Economic Policymaking in Britain. Comparative Politics, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 275–96. (
- 2004) ‘Credibility, Competitiveness and the Business Cycle in “Third Way” Political Economy: A Critical Evaluation of Economic Policy in Britain since 1997. New Political Economy, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 39–56. (
- 2006) ‘What's in a Name? New Labour's Putative Keynesianism. Journal of Political Science, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 187–92. (
- HM Treasury (2009) Budget Report 2009 (London: The Stationery Office).
- 1981) ‘The Fight Against Inflation’. The Mais Lecture, Cass Business School, City University, London. (
- House of Lords Select Committee on Economic Affairs (2004) Monetary and Fiscal Policy: Present Successes and Future Problems (London: The Stationery Office Ltd).
- International Monetary Fund (2009) ‘United Kingdom – 2009 Article IV Consultation: Concluding Statement of the Mission’ (Washington, DC: IMF).
- 1936) The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money (London: Macmillan). (
- 1997) ‘Changes in UK Monetary Policy: Rules and Discretion in Practice. Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 81–97. (
- 2009) ‘The Rock of Stability? The Political Economy of the Brown Government. Policy Studies, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 17–32. (
- 2006) ‘The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer. Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 29–46. (
- National Institute of Economic and Social Research (2009) National Institute Economic Review (London: NIESR).
- 2005) ‘Practical Issues in UK Monetary Policy, 2000–05’. British Academy Keynes Lecture, British Academy, London. (
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (2009) OECD Interim Economic Outlook (Paris: OECD).
- 2004) ‘Learning and Change in 20th-Century British Economic Policy. Governance, Vol. 17, No 3, pp. 414–41. and (
- 2008) ‘Recovery through Fiscal Responsibility’. Speech at the London School of Economics, 31 October 2008. (
- 2009) ‘The Old and the New Politics of International Financial Stability. JCMS, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 955–75. (
- 2006) Brown's Britain (London: Short Books). (
- 2009) ‘The “British Plan” as a Pace-Setter: The Europeanization of Banking Rescue Plans in the EU? JCMS, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 1063–83. (
- 2008) ‘Taking the State Seriously: Policy, Polity, and the Politics of Ideas and Discourse in Political Economy’. National Meetings of the American Political Science Association, Boston MA, 28 August–1 September. and (
- 2009) ‘The Need to Return to a Monetary Framework. Business Economics, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 63–72. (
- 1980) Interview with Gordon Burns for Granada Television, 14 April. Full text available at «http://www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/displaydocument.asp?docid=104211. (
- 1997) ‘International Games with National Rules: How Regulation Shapes Competition in “Global” Markets. Journal of Public Policy, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 169–93. (
- 2004) ‘Endogenous Growth Theory: Explanation or Post Hoc Rationalization for Policy? British Journal of Politics & International Relations, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 543–51. (
- 1998) ‘“Resign or Apologize”. Call to George in Jobs Row. Financial Times, 22 October. and (
- 2009) ‘Why Britain has to Curb Finance’. Financial Times, London, 22 May. (
- 2009) ‘Convergence in Macroeconomics: Elements of the New Synthesis. American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 267–79. (