Members of the Working Group were as follows: S. Bronzwaer (Chairman), F. Aarestrup, A. Battisti, B. Bengtsson, S. Piriz Duran, H.-D. Emborg, G. Kahlmeter, D. Mevius, G. Regula, P. Sanders, C. Teale, D. Wasyl, K. De Smet, J. Torren Edo, P. Tüll, H. Deluyker and P. Mäkelä.
Harmonised monitoring of antimicrobial resistance in Salmonella and Campylobacter isolates from food animals in the European Union
Version of Record online: 7 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Clinical Microbiology and Infection
Volume 14, Issue 6, pages 522–533, June 2008
How to Cite
European Food Safety Authority—Working Group on Developing Harmonised Schemes for Monitoring Antimicrobial Resistance in Zoonotic Agents (2008), Harmonised monitoring of antimicrobial resistance in Salmonella and Campylobacter isolates from food animals in the European Union. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 14: 522–533. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2008.02000.x
The information contained in this publication does not necessarily reflect the opinion or the position of the European Food Safety Authority.
- Issue online: 7 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 7 APR 2008
- Accepted: 17 January 2008
- 1Microbial resistance to antibiotics. An evolving and persistent problem. Lancet 1982; 10: 83–88..
- 5Monitoring of antimicrobial resistance in animals: principles and practices. In: AarestrupFM, ed., Antimicrobial resistance in bacteria of animal origin. Washington, DC: ASM Press, 2006; 397–413., , .
- 7Anonymous. Directive 2003/99/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003 on the monitoring of zoonoses and zoonotic agents, amending Council Decision 90/424/EEC and repealing Council Directive 92/117/EEC. OJEU L325, 12 December 2003: 31–40.
- 8Anonymous. Report of the Task Force of Zoonoses Data Collection including a proposal for a harmonized monitoring scheme of antimicrobial resistance in Salmonella in fowl (Gallus gallus), turkeys, and pigs and Campylobacter jejuni and C. coli in broilers. EFSA J 2007; 96: 1–46.
- 9Anonymous. Commission Decision 2007/407/EC on a harmonised monitoring of antimicrobial resistance in Salmonella in poultry and pigs, OJEU L153, 14 June 2007: 26.
- 10Anonymous. Commission Decision 2007/516/EC concerning a financial contribution from the Community towards a survey on the prevalence and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter spp. in broiler flocks and on the prevalence of Campylobacter spp. and Salmonella spp. in broiler carcasses to be carried out in the Member States. OJEU L190, 21 July 2007, 25–37.
- 11The global epidemic nature of antimicrobial resistance and the need to monitor and manage it locally. Clin Infect Dis 1997; 24: 2–8..
- 14Anonymous. Regulation (EC) No 2160/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003 on the control of Salmonella and other specified food-borne zoonotic agents. OJEU L325, 12 December 2003:1–14.
- 15International Organisation for Standardization. Clinical laboratory testing and in vitro diagnostic test systems—susceptibility testing of infectious agents and evaluation of performance of antimicrobial susceptibility test devices—part 1: reference method for testing the in vitro activity of antimicrobial agents against rapidly growing aerobic bacteria involved in infectious diseases. Geneva: ISO, 2006.
- 16Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing, 16th informational supplement, M100-S16. Wayne, PA: CLSI, 2006.
- 17Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance standards for antimicrobial disk and dilution susceptibility tests for bacteria isolated from animals, tentative guideline, M31-A3, 3rd edn. Wayne, PA: CLSI, 2006.
- 22Anonymous. Commission Regulation (EC) No. 1430/94 amending Annexes I, II, III and IV of Council Regulation (EEC) No. 2377/90 laying down a Community procedure for the establishment of maximum residue limits of veterinary medicinal products in foodstuffs of animal origin. OJEU L156, 23 June 1994: 6.
- 23Mechanisms and spread of bacterial resistance to antimicrobial agents. In: AarestrupFM, ed., Antimicrobial resistance in bacteria of animal origin. Washington, DC: ASM Press, 2006; 73–98., , .
- 29Health Protection Agency. Laboratory detection and reporting of bacteria with extended spectrum β-lactamases. National Standard Method QSOP 51 Issue 2, 2006. Available at: http://www.hpa-standardmethods.org.uk/documents/qsop/pdf/qsop51.pdf.
- 36Antimicrobial resistance in Campylobacter. In: AarestrupFM, ed., Antimicrobial resistance in bacteria of animal origin. Washington, DC: ASM Press, 2006; 269–292., , , .
- 37DANMAP. Use of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, foods and humans in Denmark, 2004. Available at: http://www.dfvf.dk/files/filer/zoonosecentret/publikationer/danmap/danmap_2004.pdf.
- 38MeviusDJ, PellicaanC, PeltWV, eds. MARAN-2004—Monitoring of antimicrobial resistance and antibiotic usage in animals in the Netherlands in 2004, 2005. Available at http://www.cidc-lelystad.wur.nl).
- 39Veterinary monitoring of antimicrobial resistance in Spain (VAV 2004), 2005. Available at: http://www.vigilanciasanitaria.es/data/VAV2004.pdf., .