Legionnaires’ disease caused by Legionella longbeachae and Legionella pneumophila: comparison of clinical features, host-related risk factors, and outcomes
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Clinical Microbiology and Infection
Volume 16, Issue 9, pages 1405–1407, September 2010
How to Cite
Amodeo, M. R., Murdoch, D. R. and Pithie, A. D. (2010), Legionnaires’ disease caused by Legionella longbeachae and Legionella pneumophila: comparison of clinical features, host-related risk factors, and outcomes. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 16: 1405–1407. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2009.03125.x
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Original Submission: 4 October 2009; Revised Submission: 9 November 2009; Accepted: 12 November 2009 Editor: G. Greub
- 1Legionnaires’ disease in Europe: 2005–2006. Euro Surveill 2007; 12: E7–8., .
- 2Increasing incidence of legionellosis in the United States, 1990–2005: changing epidemiologic trends. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 47: 591–599., .
- 3Institute of Environmental Science & Research Ltd. Notifiable and other diseases in New Zealand: annual report 2007. Wellington: ESR, 2008. Available at: http://www.surv.esr.cri.nz (last accessed 5 June 2009).
- 4A review of national legionellosis surveillance in Australia, 1991–2000. Commun Dis Intell 2002; 26: 461–468., , .
- 5Epidemiology of severe pneumonia caused by Legionella longbeachae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, and Chlamydia pneumoniae: 1-year, population-based surveillance for severe pneumonia in Thailand. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 45: e147–e155., , et al.
- 6Infection due to Legionella species other than L. pneumophila. Clin Infect Dis 2002; 35: 990–998., .
- 7American Thoracic Society; Infectious Diseases Society of America. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005; 171: 388–416.
- 8Defining community acquired pneumonia severity on presentation to hospital: an international derivation and validation study. Thorax 2003; 58: 377–382., , et al.
- 9American College of Chest Physicians–Society of Critical Care Medicine Consensus Conference. Definitions for sepsis and organ failure and guidelines for use of innovative therapies in sepsis. Crit Care Med 1992; 20: 864–875.
- 10The diagnostic significance of relative bradycardia in infectious disease. Clin Microbiol Infect 2000; 6: 633–634..
- 11Community-acquired pneumonia in Christchurch and Waikato 1999–2000: microbiology and epidemiology. NZ Med J 2001; 114: 488–492., , et al.
- 12Community acquired pneumonia: aetiology and usefulness of severity criteria on admission. Thorax 1996; 51: 1010–1016., , et al.
- 13Sport and Recreation New Zealand. Sport, recreation and physical activity participation among New Zealand adults: key results of the 2007/08 active NZ survey. Wellington: SPARC, 2008. Available at: http://www.sparc.org.nz (last accessed 13 July 2009).
- 14Legionnaires’ disease and gardening. Clin Microbiol Infect 2007; 13: 88–91., , et al.
- 15Fatal case of community-acquired pneumonia caused by Legionella longbeachae in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2004; 23: 116–118., , , , .
- 16Fatal Legionella longbeachae infection following heart transplantation. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1998; 17: 53–55., , , , .
- 17Legionnaires’ disease in immunocompromised patients: a case report of Legionella longbeachae pneumonia and review of the literature. J Med Microbiol 2008; 57 (Pt 3): 384–387., , , , , .
- 18Legionella longbeachae in Western Australia: a 12-month retrospective review. Med J Aust 1996; 164: 704., , , .
- 19Does using potting mix make you sick? Results from a Legionella longbeachae case-control study in South Australia Epidemiol Infect 2007; 135: 34–39., , , , , .
- 20Comparison of virulence of Legionella longbeachae strains in guinea pigs and U937 macrophage-like cells. Infect Immun 2001; 69: 5335–5344., , , , .