New HCV therapies on the horizon
Article first published online: 20 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Clinical Microbiology and Infection © 2011 European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Clinical Microbiology and Infection
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 122–134, February 2011
How to Cite
Vermehren, J. and Sarrazin, C. (2011), New HCV therapies on the horizon. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 17: 122–134. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2010.03430.x
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 20 JAN 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 NOV 2010 10:56AM EST
- Article published online: 18 November 2010
- 1The need for an HCV vaccine. WHO Factsheet 2010. Available at: http://www.who.int/vaccine_research/diseases/viral_cancers/en/index2.html (last accessed 1 August 2010)...
- 22Activity of telaprevir monotherapy or in combination with peginterferon-alfa-2a and ribavirin in treatment-naive genotype 4 hepatitis-C-patients: final results of study C210. Hepatology 2010; 52: 719A., , et al.
- 24Telaprevir in combination with peginterferon and ribavirin in genotype 1 HCV treatment-naive patients: final results of phase 3 ADVANCE study. Hepatology 2010; 52: 427A., , et al.
- 25Telaprevir in combination with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for 24 or 48 weeks in treatment-naive genotype 1 HCV patients who achieved an extended rapid viral response: final results of phase 3 ILLUMINATE study. Hepatology 2010; 52: 401A., , et al.
- 27Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. 65% of people whose prior treatment for hepatitis C was unsuccessful achieved SVR (viral cure) with telaprevir-based therapy in phase 3 REALIZE study. Press Release 2010. Available at: http://investors.vrtx.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=505239 (last accessed 18 October 2010)..
- 33Clonal analysis of mutations selected in the HCV NS3 protease domain of genotype 1 non-responders sequentially treated with boceprevir (SCH503034) and/or pegylated interferon alfa-2b (PEG-IFN alfa-2b). Hepatology 2009; 50: 1040A., , et al.
- 34Efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 protease inhibitor, in combination with peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in treatment-naive patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C infection (SPRINT-1): an open-label, randomised, multicentre phase 2 trial. Lancet 2010; 376: 705–716., , et al.
- 36HCV RESPOND-2 final results: high sustained virologic response among genotype 1 previous non-responders and relapsers to peginterferon/ribavirin when re-treated with boceprevir plus pegintron (peginterferon alfa-2b)/ribavirin. Hepatology 2010; 52: 430A., , et al.
- 37Boceprevir (BOC) combined with peginterferon alfa-2b/ribavirin (P/R) for treatment-naive patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype (G) 1: SPRINT-2 final results. Hepatology 2010; 52: 402A., , et al.
- 40Accelerated clinical trial design to assess the safety, tolerability and anti-viral activity of PHX1766, a novel HCV NS3/4A protease inhibitor, in healthy volunteers and chronic hepatitis C patients. Hepatology 2009; 50: 1031A., , et al.
- 41Safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics and antiviral activity following single- and multiple-dose administration of BMS-650032, a novel HCV NS3 inhibitor, in subjects with chronic genotype 1 hcv infection. Hepatology 2009; 50: 411A., , et al.
- 42SILEN-C1: early antiviral activity and safety of BI 201335 combined with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in treatment-naive patients with chronic genotype 1 HCV infection. Hepatology 2009; 50: 2A., , et al.
- 43Safety and antiviral activity of MK-5172, a novel HCV NS3/4A protease inhibitor with potent activity against known resistance mutants, in genotype 1 and 3 HCV-infected patients. Hepatology 2010; 52: 706A., , et al.
- 44Safety, pharmacokinetics, and antiviral activity of single oral doses of the HCV NS3 protease inhibitor GS 9256. Hepatology 2010; 52: 717A., , et al.
- 45Three-day, dose-ranging study of the HCV NS3 protease inhibitor GS-9451. Hepatology 2010; 52: 714A., , et al.
- 47Phase II randomised, partially-blind, parallel-group study of oral danoprevir (RG7227) with PegIFNalfa-2a (PEGASYS) plus ribavirin in treatment-naive genotype 1 patients with CHC: results of planned week 12 interim analysis of the ATLAS study. Hepatology 2010; 52: 335A., , et al.
- 48Sustained viral response (SVR) rates in genotype 1 treatment-naive patients with chronic hepatitis C (CHC) infection treated with vaniprevir (MK-7009), a NS3/4A protease inhibitor, in combination with pegylated interferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for 28 days. Hepatology 2010; 52: 361A., , et al.
- 49Virological response and safety of 4 weeks treatment with the protease inhibitor BI 201335 combined with 48 weeks of peginterferon alfa 2a and ribavirin for treatment of HCV GT-1 patients who failed peginterferon/ribavirin. Hepatology 2010; 52: 704A., , et al.
- 50Efficacy and safety of TMC435 in combination with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in treatment-naive genotype-1 HCV patients: 24-week interim results from the PILLAR study. Hepatology 2010; 52: 403A., , et al.
- 51Antiviral activity, safety and pharmacokinetics of IDX320, a novel macrocyclic HCV protease inhibitor, in a 3-day proof-of-concept study in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2010; 52: 882A., , et al.
- 524-week virologic response and safety of ABT-450 given with low-dose ritonavir (ABT-450/r) in combination with pegylated interferon alpha-2a and ribavirin (SOC) after 3-day monotherapy in genotype 1 (GT1) HCV-infected treatment-naive subjects. Hepatology 2010; 52: 878A., , et al.
- 56High rates of early viral response, promising safety profile and lack of resistance-related breakthrough in HCV GT 1/4 patients treated with RG7128 plus PEGIFN alfa-2a (40 KD)/RBV: planned week 12 interim analysis from the propel study. Hepatology 2010; 52: 360A., , et al.
- 57A phase IIa study of IDX184 in combination with pegylated interferon (pegIFN) and ribavirin (RBV) in treatment-naive HCV genotype 1-infected subjects. Hepatology 2010; 52: 337A., , et al.
- 58High rapid virologic response (RVR) with PSI-7977 qd plus PEG-IFN/RBV in a 28-day phase 2a trial. Hepatology 2010; 52: 706A., , et al.
- 61Safety and antiviral activity of NS5B polymerase inhibitor MK-3281 in treatment-naive genotype 1a, 1b and 3 HCV-infected patients. Hepatology 2009; 50: 1026A., , et al.
- 63BI 207127 is a potent HCV RNA polymerase inhibitor during 5 days monotherapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2009; 50: 1044A., , et al.
- 65Virologic response rates following 4 weeks of filibuvir in combination with pegylated interferon alfa-2a and ribavirin in chronically-infected HCV genotype-1 patients. J Hepatol 2010; 52: S465., , et al.
- 69Safety and antiviral activity of ANA598 in combination with pegylated interferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin in treatment-naive genotype-1 chronic HCV patients. Hepatology 2010; 52: 334A., , et al.
- 70Treatment-naive, HCV genotype 1-infected subjects show significantly greater HCV RNA decreases when treated with 28 days of ABT-333 plus peginterferon and ribavirin compared to peginterferon and ribavirin alone. Hepatology 2009; 50: 5A., , et al.
- 71HCV796: a selective nonstructural protein 5B polymerase inhibitor with potent anti-hepatitis C virus activity in vitro, in mice with chimeric human livers, and in humans infected with hepatitis C virus. Hepatology 2009; 49: 745–752., , et al.
- 72Antiviral response and resistance analysis of treatment-naive HCV infected subjects receiving single and multiple doses of GS-9190. Hepatology 2010; 52: 722A., , et al.
- 73Phase I study in healthy volunteers and patients with IDX375, a novel non-nucleoside HCV polymerase inhibitor. Hepatology 2010; 52: 1219A., , et al.
- 77BMS-824393 is a potent hepatitis C virus NS5A inhibitor with substantial antiviral activity when given as monotherapy in subjects with chronic G1 HCV infection. Hepatology 2010; 52: 1203A., , et al.
- 79Dual, triple, and quadruple combination treatment with a protease inhibitor (GS-9256) and a polymerase inhibitor (GS-9190) alone and in combination with ribavirin (RBV) or PegIFN/RBV for up to 28 days in treatment naive, genotype 1 HCV subjects. Hepatology 2010; 52: 400A., , et al.
- 80Strong antiviral activity and safety of IFN-sparing treatment with the protease inhibitor BI 201335, the HCV polymerase inhibitor BI 207127 and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Hepatology 2010; 52: 876A., , et al.
- 81Combination therapy with BMS-790052 and BMS-650032 alone or with PEGIFN/RBV results in undetectable HCV RNA through 12 weeks of therapy in HCV genotype 1 null responders. Hepatology 2010; 52: 877A., , et al.
- 86Debio 025, a cyclophilin binding molecule, is highly efficient in clearing hepatitis C virus (HCV) replicon-containing cells when used alone or in combination with specifically targeted antiviral therapy for HCV (STAT-C) inhibitors. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009; 53: 967., , et al.
- 97Q2week controlled-release-interferon-alpha2b+ribavirin reduces flu-like symptoms >50% and provides equivalent efficacy in comparison to weekly pegylated-interferon-alpha2b+ribavirin in treatment-naive-genotype-1-chronic-hepatitis C: results from EMPOWER, a randomized-open-label-12-week-comparison in 133 patients. J Hepatol 2010; 52: S467., , et al.