A PEDIGREE OF PARALYSIS AGITANS
Article first published online: 13 APR 2011
1926 Blackwell Publishing Ltd/University College London
Annals of Eugenics
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 455–464, April 1926
How to Cite
BELL, J. and CLARK, A. J. (1926), A PEDIGREE OF PARALYSIS AGITANS. Annals of Eugenics, 1: 455–464. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-1809.1926.tb02046.x
- Issue published online: 13 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 13 APR 2011
- 2Opera Omnia. Lipsiae, 1824. De tremore, Cap. XIII and IV, in which species of tremor are differentiated, occurs in, pp. 586–593.]
- 3Institutiones Pathologiae medicinalis. Leiden, 1758. [Gives probably the first description of the gait characteristic of Paralysis agitans, p. 398: “Est et, ubi musculi, recte quidem ad voluntatis nutum in actum concitati, injussa dein agilitate atque impetu non reprimendo motus suos accelerant, mentemque invitam praecurrunt. Vitium, loquelae musculis frequens, nee his solis tamen proprium: vidi enim, qui currere, non gradi, poterat.”].
- 4Nosologie méthodique. Paris, 1771. Translated from the Latin by Nicolas. In the section entitled “Des Maladies Convulsives” the following occurs: “Il paroît qu'on doit rapporter au même genre de maladie une autre espèce très-rare que les auteurs n'ont pas aperçue, et que je ne crois pas pouvoir mieux appeller que du nom de scélotyrbe festinante ou festinie.” T. I, p. 798.]
- 5Opera Medica. Amstelodami, 1780. [Sections V, XIX and XXV of the Section entitled “Praxeos Medicae Idea Nova,” pp. 291, 292, refer to the author's differentiation between tremors which occur on attempts at voluntary motion and those which occur whilst the body is at rest.].
- 6An Essay on the Shaking Palsy. London, 1817.
- 7A Form of Trembling Palsy. Lancet, Vol. I 1879, pp. 3–5. London, 1879. Plate, fig. 6.
- 8Contribution à l'étude des causes de la paralysie agitante. Paris, 1880.
- 9Paralysis agitans” in Eulenburg's Real-Encyclopädie der gesammten Heilkunde, Bd. X. Wien and Leipzig, 1882. Hereditary cases of the disease are described, p. 323. Plate, figs. 2, 4, 9.
- 10Antécédents et causes de la maladie de Parkinσon. Paris, 1883. [Said to refér to a case of Paralysis agitans in mother and daughter.].
- 11Paralysis agitans and a Consideration of some Cases of this Disease. Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases, Vol. XV, pp. 356–365. New York, 1888. [The hereditary element, it is said, does not seem to play any rôle in Paralysis agitans, yet one case is reported in a male whose father and two brothers were similarly affected, also a second case in a male whose brother was affected.].
- 12Delia Paralisi Agitante. Rivista Sperimentale di Freniatria e di Medicina Legale, Vol. XV, pp. 1–49. Reggio-Emilia, 1889. Plate, fig. 3.
- 13Contribution à l'étude clinique des formes de la maladie de Parkinson. Paris, 1892. [Describes a case of Paralysis agitans in two sisters.].
- 14A Manual of Diseases of the Nervous System. 2nd Edn. London, 1893. For observations concerning the heredity of Paralysis agitans see, p. 637. Heredity can seldom be traced, perhaps in not more than 15. In one case… the patient's father and uncle had suffered from it…. The sister of one patient and the mother of another and in two other cases the father suffered also from Paralysis agitans.
- 15La malattia di Parkinson e l'eredo-familiarità. Bollettino clinico-scientifico delta Poliambulanza di Milano.and
- 16A clinical study of twenty-four cases of Paralysis agitans. New York Medical Journal, Vol. lxx, pp. 41–46. New York, 1899. [The following hereditary cases are reported: (1) An affected male had a father with Paralysis agitans, his mother and a maternal uncle died with some form of paralysis. (2) Paralysis agitans in a mother and in her son. (3) An affected male had a father and possibly a paternal uncle similarly affected. (4) An affected female had a father and a paternal aunt with Paralysis agitans.].and
- 17Znvei Fälle von Paralysis agitans im jugendlichen Alter. Dissertation, Königsberg, 1899. [A brother and sister were affected, the onset of tremor being at the age of 13 for the brother and at 16 for the sister: the mother was hysterical.].
- 18Two cases of Paralysis agitans in the same family in which improvement followed the administration of Hyoscine. Lancet, Vol. I for 1902, p. 1097. London, 1902. Plate, fig. 5.
- 19Une famille de Parkinsonniens. Gazette médicate de Nantes, T. XXI, pp. 594–598. Nantes, 1903. [Describes Paralysis agitans in a brother and sister and in a male first cousin; two nephews were showing certain symptoms which the recorder thought might well be the forerunners of the disease in them also.].
- 20Paralysis agitans: some clinical observations based on the study of 219 cases seen at the Clinic of Professor M. Allen Starr. Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases, Vol. XXXI, pp. 177–188. New York, 1904. [In 16 of cases the disease was found to have occurred in relatives—in the mother six times, in the father three times, in three cases a sister was affected, in one case a brother and in one case a cousin.].
- 21Lehrbuch der Nervenkrankheiten. 4te Aufl. Berlin, 1905. [Paralysis agitans is described Bd. II, S. 1313–1329; the following hereditary cases are reported: (1) Two sisters with Paralysis agitans at a comparatively early age. (2) Patient and brother affected. (3) (in 5th Edn) Three sisters affected.].
- 22Morbo di Parkinson post-infettivo e famigliare. La Riforma medica, Vol. XXI, pp. 150–154. Napoli, 1905. [A brother and sister were affected, no information is given of other members of the family.].
- 23Due casi di morbo di Parkinson atipici in fratelloe sorella. La Riforma medica, Vol. XXIV, pp. 1067–70. Napoli, 1908. Plate, fig. 11.
- 24Demonstration eines Kranken mit juveniler Paralysis agitans. Berliner klinische Wochenschrift, Bd. XLVIII, S. 1250. Berlin, 1911. [Two siblings were affected, the onset in each case was at the age of 18 years.].
- 25Ueber Paralysis agitans. Berlin, 1911. [Four hereditary cases are described in this monograph: (1) The patient and two of the grandfather's brothers were affected. (2) The patient, father and uncle were affected. (3 and 4) In both cases the disease occurred in patient and sister.].
- 26Über Paralysis agitans im jugendlichen Alter. Zeitschrift f. d. ges. Neurologic u. Psychiatrie, Bd. IV, S. 520–587. Berlin, 1911.
- 27Über Paralysis agitans. Deutsche Zeitschrift f. Nervenheilkunde, Bd. XLVII, S. 192–206. Leipzig, 1913. Plate, fig. 10.
- 28Medizinisch-biologische Familien-Forschungen. Jena, 1913. [See Text, pp. 461–4, Atlas Plate XXXV.] Plate, fig. 7.
- 29Parkinsonsche Krankheit und Unfall. Dissertation. Zerbst, 1914.
- 30Progressive Atrophy of the Globus pallidus. A system disease of the Paralysis agitans type characterised by atrophy of the motor cells of the corpus striatum. Brain, Vol. XL, pp. 58–148. London, 1917.
- 31Heredofamiliarität bei Paralysis agitans. Deutsche Zeitschrift f. Nervenheilkunde, Bd. LXXIX, S. 367–373. Leipzig, 1923. Plate, fig. 8.and
- 32Parkinson's Disease. A Clinical Study of one hundred and forty-six cases. Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry, Vol. VII, pp. 711–720. Chicago, 1923.and