Conflict of interest statement: No conflicts declared.
Impaired balance in developmental dyslexia? A meta-analysis of the contending evidence
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2006
Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry
Volume 47, Issue 11, pages 1159–1166, November 2006
How to Cite
Rochelle, K. S.H. and Talcott, J. B. (2006), Impaired balance in developmental dyslexia? A meta-analysis of the contending evidence. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 47: 1159–1166. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7610.2006.01641.x
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2006
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2006
- Manuscript accepted 14 March 2006
- American Psychiatric Association (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th edn, text revision). Washington, DC: Author.
- 2002). Cerebellar abnormalities in developmental dyslexia: Cause, correlate or consequence? Cortex, 38, 491–498. (
- 1978). Difficulties in auditory organization as a possible cause of reading backwardness. Nature, 271, 746–747. , & (
- *, , , , , & (1985). Static postural stability is normal in dyslexic children. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 18, 31–34.
- 1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd edn). New York: Academic Press. (
- DDAT (2005). How does it work? Retrieved 18 September 2005 from http://ddat.co.uk.
- 1985). Motor proficiency in dyslexic children with and without attentional disorders. Archives of Neurology, 42, 228–231. , , , & (
- 2000). Close interrelation of motor development and cognitive development and of the cerebellum and prefrontal cortex. Child Development, 71, 44–56. (
- Education (National Curriculum) (Foundation Stage Profile Assessment Arrangements) (England) Order (2003) (Statutory Instrument 2003 No. 1327). Norwich: The Stationery Office.
- *, & (1992). Automatisation deficits in balance for dyslexic children. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 75, 507–529.
- 1993). Validation of the Adult Dyslexia Index. Internal Report LRG 93/16: University of Sheffield, Department of Psychology. , & (
- 1998). The Dyslexia Adult Screening Test. London: The Psychological Corporation. , & (
- *, & (1999). Performance of dyslexic children on cerebellar and cognitive tests. Journal of Motor Behavior, 31, 68–78.
- 2004). Dyslexia Screening Test-Junior (DST-J). Oxford: Harcourt Assessment, Inc. , & (
- *, , & (1996). Impaired performance of children with dyslexia on a range of cerebellar tasks. Annals of Dyslexia, 46, 259–283.
- 2001a). Pre-School Screening Test (PREST). London: The Psychological Corporation. , , & (
- 2001b). Cerebellar tests differentiate between poor readers with and without IQ discrepancy. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 34, 119–135. , , & (
- 1997). Linguistic processing. In J.D.Schmahmann (Ed.), The cerebellum and cognition (pp. 233–254). San Diego, CA: Academic Press. , & (
- 2003). Deficits in attention, motor control and perception: A brief review. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 88, 904–910. (
- 2000). The neurological basis of developmental dyslexia: An overview and working hypothesis. Brain, 123, 2373–2399. (
- 1992). The movement assessment battery for children. Kent, UK: The Psychological Corporation. , & (
- 1939). The cerebellum of man. Brain, 62, 1–30. (
- 2004). Sensory processing, reading, IQ, and attention. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 88, 274–295. , , , , , , , & (
- 2003). Cerebellar involvement in clumsiness and other developmental disorders. Neural Plasticity, 10, 143–155. (
- 2004). The neural representation of time. Current Opinion in Neurobiology, 14, 225–232. , & (
- 1994). Motor sequence learning: A study with positron emission tomography. Journal of Neuroscience, 14, 3775–3790. , , , , & (
- 2001). The comorbidity of ADHD in the general population of Swedish school-age children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 42, 487–492. , & (
- 2001). The term comorbidity may be of questionable value in reference to developmental disorders: Data and theory. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 34, 555–565. , , , & (
- 1983). One jumped off the balance beam: Meta-analysis of perceptual-motor training. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 16, 165–173. , & (
- 1997). Salzburger Lese- und Rechtschreibtest. Bern, Switzerland: Huber. , , & (
- 2006). DCD and ADHD: A genetic study of their shared aetiology. Human Movement Science, 25, 110–124. , , & (
- *, , , & (2003). Balance and gait in children with dyslexia. Experimental Brain Research, 150, 237–244.
- 1968). Progress in learning disabilities. New York: Grune and Stratton. (
- 1990). Automaticity: A new framework for dyslexia research? Cognition, 35, 159–182. , & (
- 1994). Comparison of deficits in cognitive and motor skills among children with dyslexia. Annals of Dyslexia, 44, 147–164. , & (
- *, & (1995). Dyslexia is more than a phonological disability. Dyslexia, 1, 37–45.
- *, & (1997). Development of objective procedures for screening and assessment of dyslexic students in higher education. Journal of Research in Reading, 20, 77–83.
- 1999). Developmental dyslexia: The role of the cerebellum. Dyslexia, 5, 155–177. , & (
- 2003). Science, sense and synergy: Response to commentators. Dyslexia, 9, 167–176. , & (
- 1999). Association of abnormal cerebellar activation with motor learning difficulties in dyslexic adults. The Lancet, 353, 1662–1667. , , , , , & (
- 1999). Motor coordination and kinaesthesis in boys with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 41, 159–165. , , & (
- 2005). Generalist genes and learning disabilities. Psychological Bulletin, 131, 592–617. , & (
- *, & (2003). On the automaticity/cerebellar deficit hypothesis of dyslexia: Balancing and continuous rapid naming in dyslexic and ADHD children. Neuropsychologia, 41, 1493–1497.
- 1998). Metabolic abnormalities in developmental dyslexia detected by 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy. The Lancet, 351, 1849–1852. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2002). Cerebellar morphology in developmental dyslexia. Neuropsychologia, 40, 1285–1292. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- *, , & (2003). The relationship between motor control and phonology in dyslexic children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 44, 712–722.
- *, , , , , , & (2003). Theories of developmental dyslexia: Insights from a multiple case study of dyslexic adults. Brain, 126, 841–865.
- 1991). Meta-analytic procedures for social research. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications. (
- 2002). Contrasts and correlations in theory assessment. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 27, 59–66. , & (
- 2003). Dyslexia (specific reading disability). Pediatrics in Review, 24, 147–152. , & (
- 2003). Do ‘clumsy’ children have visual deficits? Behavioural Brain Research, 139, 123–129. , , & (
- 2001). From language to reading and dyslexia. Dyslexia, 7, 37–46. (
- 2003). A critique of claims from Reynolds, Nicolson & Hambly (2003) that DDAT is an effective treatment for children with reading difficulties –‘lies, damned lies and (inappropriate) statistics’? Dyslexia, 9, 127–133. , & (
- 1988). Explaining the differences between the dyslexic and garden-variety poor reader: The phonological-core variable-model. Journal of Disabilities, 21, 590–612. (
- 1997). To see but not to read; the magnocellular theory of dyslexia. Trends in Neurosciences, 20, 147–152. , & (
- 1987). The assessment of motor impairment in children with moderate learning difficulties. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 57, 225–236. , & (
- *, & (1999). Developmental dyslexia: Related to specific or general deficits? Annals of Dyslexia, 49, 71–104.
- 2004). Specific reading disability (dyslexia): What have we learned in the past four decades? Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45, 2–40. , , , & (
- 1991). The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children. (3rd edn). London: The Psychological Corporation. (
- 1993). Wechsler Objective Reading Dimensions Test. London: The Psychological Corporation. (
- 2005). Neuropsychological analyses of comorbidity of reading disability and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: In search of the common deficit. Developmental Neuropsychology, 27, 35–78. , , , , & (
- *, , & (1998). Poor reading: A deficit in skill automatization or a phonological deficit? Scientific Studies of Reading, 2, 321–340.
- *, , & (1999). Reading and dual-task balancing: Evidence against the automatization deficit explanation of developmental dyslexia. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 32, 473–478.
- *, & (1994). Testing the automatization deficit hypothesis of dyslexia via a dual-task paradigm. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 27, 660–665.