*Acknowledgements: Thanks to Jonathan Steinberg for inviting me to present an early draft of this article at a conference entitled Perché la Svizzera Italiana, held at the University of Pennsylvania in April 2008. Similar thanks to Lucy Riall and Silvana Patriarca, who allowed me to present a different version at the conference mentioned in note 1. My gratitude goes to the editor and anonymous reviewers of Nations and Nationalism for their perceptive comments and to Sue Cornish for her excellent copy-editing and encouragement.
The limits of cultural nationalism: Italian Switzerland from a risorgimento perspective*
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2011
© ASEN/Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2011
Nations and Nationalism
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 57–77, January 2012
How to Cite
HUGHES, S. C. (2012), The limits of cultural nationalism: Italian Switzerland from a risorgimento perspective. Nations and Nationalism, 18: 57–77. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8129.2011.00496.x
Permissions for images: Figure 1 is an adapted version of a map by Poulpy located at http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Switzerland_Locator_Map_TI.svg. Figure 2 is from Freiheitsbaum auf dem Münsterplatz in Basel, 1798, Swiss National Museum, inventory number LM-44587. Figure 3 is from Rocco Torricelli, Saccheggio della Casa Agnelli li 29 Aprile (c. 1800), Archivio Fotografico del Dicastero Attività Culturali Città di Lugano. Figure 4 is from Balthasar A. Dunker, Wilheim Tell Bekämpft die Revolution (1798), Swiss National Museum, inventory number LM-20965. Figure 5 is from Antonio Soldati, Rivoluzione del Cantone Ticino, 5 Dicembre 1839 (c. 1840) from the print collection of the Archivio Cantonale di Ticino in Bellinzona.
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!