Current address: Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, University of Georgia, Aiken, SC 29802, USA.
Role for the photosynthate demand of ectomycorrhizas in the response of Douglas fir seedlings to drying soil
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 117, Issue 2, pages 327–334, February 1991
How to Cite
DOSSKEY, M. G., BOERSMA, L. and LINDERMAN, R. G. (1991), Role for the photosynthate demand of ectomycorrhizas in the response of Douglas fir seedlings to drying soil. New Phytologist, 117: 327–334. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1991.tb04914.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- Received 12 June 1990; accepted 4 October 1990
- 1985 Phytohormone action: An integrative approach to understanding diverse mycorrhizal responses. In: The Proceedings of the 6th North American Conference on Mycorrhizae (Ed. by R.Molina), pp. 158–160. Oregon State University Forest Research Laboratory, Corvallis , USA .
- 1983), Effects of two species of VA mycorrhizal fungi on drought tolerance of winter wheat. New Phytohgist 93, 67–76. & (
- 1980), Phytohormone changes in Bouteloua gracilis infected by vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizae. I. Cytokinin increases in the host plant. Canadian Journal of Botany 58, 371–374. , , (
- 1982), Phytohormone changes in Bouteloua gracilis infected by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae. II. Altered levels of gibberellin-like substances and abscisic acid in the host plant. Canadian Journal of Botany 60, 468–471. , & (
- 1981), Comparative water relations and photosynthesis of mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal Bouteloua gracilis. New Phytologist 88, 683–693. , , & (
- 1986), Osmotic-adjustment in leaves of VA mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal rose plants in response to drought stress. Plant Physiology 82, 765–770. , & (
- 1988), Temperature-dependent feedback inhibition of photosynthesis in peanut. Planta 175, 348–354. , & (
- 1987), Glycine-Glomus-Rhixobium symbiosis. VI. Photosynthesis in nodulated, mycorrhizal, or N- and P-fertilized soybean plants. Plant Physiology 85, 120–123. & (
- 1983), The structure and function of mycelial systems of ectomycorrhizal roots with special reference to their role in forming inter-plant connections and providing pathways for assimilate and water transport. Plant and Soil 71, 433–443. , , & (
- 1984 Translocation of nutrients and hormones. In: Advanced Plant Physiology (Ed. by M. B.Wilkins), pp. 277–296. Pitman, London .
- 1935 The significance of the mycorrhiza of Pinus radiata. Commonwealth Forestry Bureau Bulletin No. 16. Canberra, Australia.
- 1980), Water deficits and root growth of ectomycorrhizal white oak seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 10, 545–548. , , , & (
- 1990), Carbon-sink stimulation of photosynthesis in Douglas-fir seedlings by some ectomycorrhizae. New Phytohgist 115, 269–274. , & (
- 1980), Structure and function of mycorrhizal rhizomorphs with special reference to their role in water transport. Nature 287, 834–836. , & (
- 1984), Influence of mycorrhizal fungi on cytokinin production in sour orange. Journal of the American Society of Horticultural Science 109, 587–590. , & (
- 1983), Effect of light, nitrogen fertilization, and mycorrhizal fungi on growth and photosynthesis of lodgepole pine seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13, 1099–1106. & (
- 1982), Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33, 317–345. & (
- 1960 Mycorrhiza of ponderosa pine in Nebraska grassland soils. Nebraska Agricultural Experiment Station Research Bulletin No. 192 pp. 1–47.
- 1981), The influence of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza on growth and water relations of red clover. New Phytohgist 89, 599–608. & (
- 1983 Mycorrhizal Symbiosis. Academic Press, London . &
- 1980), Regulation of photosynthesis by sink activity - the missing link. New Phytohgist 86, 131–144. (
- 1966 Sand and water culture methods used in the study of plant nutrition. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau Technical Communication No. 22. London.
- 1984 Physiological and morphological responses to water deficit in seedling progeny of four populations of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii [Mirb.] Franco). Ph.D. thesis, Oregon State University, Corvallis , USA .
- 1984), Photosynthate partitioning in split-root citrus seedlings with mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal root systems. Plant Physiology 75, 26–30. & (
- 1980), Effect of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza on Citrus jambhiri water relations. New Phytohgist 85, 25–31. & (
- 1983), Effect of drought stress and vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza on citrus transpiration and hydraulic conductivity of roots. New Phytohgist 93, 61–66. , & (
- 1982 Production of ectomycorrhizal fungus inoculum. In: Methods and Principles of Mycorrhizal Research (Ed. by N. C.Schenck), pp. 131–146. The American Phytopathological Society, St Paul , Minnesota , USA . &
- 1984), Toward understanding soil water uptake by plant roots. Soil Science 137, 69–77. , , & (
- 1968 Physiology of Stomata. McGraw-Hill, New York . &
- 1987 Intercellular CO2 concentration and stomatal response to CO2. In: Stomatal Function (Ed. by E.Zeiger, G. D.Farquhar & I. R.Cowan), pp. 229–251. Stanford University Press, Stanford , California , USA .
- 1982), Increased drought tolerance of mycorrhizal onion plants caused by improved phosphorus nutrition. Planta 154, 407–413. & (
- 1966), A method of estimating the total length of root in sample. Journal of Applied Ecology 3, 139–145. (
- 1983 Biophysical Plant Physiology and Ecology. Freeman and Co., San Francisco .
- 1987 Ectomycorrhiza in semi-hydroponic scots pines: increased photosynthesis but reduced growth! In: The Proceedings of the 7th North American Conference on Mycorrhizae (Ed. by D. M.Sylvia, L. L.Hung & J. H.Graham), pp. 256. University of Florida. Gainesville , USA . &
- 1983), The role of ectomycorrhizas in drought tolerance of Douglas-fir seedlings. New Phytologist 95, 83–95. , & (
- 1985 Carbon flow in mycorrhizal plant associations. In: The Proceedings of the 6th North American Conference on Mycorrhizae (Ed. by R.Molina), pp. 165–169. Oregon State University Forest Research Laboratory, Corvallis , USA . ,
- 1981), Carbon How in plant microbial associations. Science 213, 473–474. & (
- 1987 Development and function of mycorrhizal hyphae in soil. In: The Proceedings of the 7th North American Conference on Mycorrhizae (Ed. by D. M.Sylvia, L. L.Hung & J. H.Graham), pp. 178–180. University of Florida, Gainesville , USA .
- 1979 Mycorrhizae and water stress. In: Root Physiology and Symbiosis (Ed. by A.Riedacker & J.Gagnaire-Michard), pp. 392–408. IUFRO Symposium Proceedings, Nancy , France .
- 1983), Nitrogen nutrition, photosynthesis and carbon allocation in ecto-mycorrhizal pine. Plant and Soil 71, 415–432. , & (
- 1988), Effect of restricted root growth on carbohydrate metabolism and whole plant growth of Cucumis sativus L. Plant Physiology 87, 409–422. & (
- 1979), Fiber, food, fuel, and fungal symbionts. Science 206, 419–422. & (
- 1971), Mycor-rhizal enhancement of water transport in soybean. Science 172, 581–583. , & (
- 1972), Nutrient status and mycorrhizal enhancement of water transport in soybean. Plant Physiology 49, 700–703. , & (
- 1985 VA mycorrhizas: plant and fungal water relations. In: The Proceedings of the 6th North American Conference on Mycorrhizae (Ed. by R.Molina), pp. 161–164. Oregon State University Forest Research Laboratory, Corvallis , USA . &
- 1978), Water uptake by mycorrhizal roots of radiata pine seedlings. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 5, 301–309. & (
- 1973 Hormonal relationships in mycorrhizal development. In: Ectomycorrhizae: Their Ecology and Physiology (Ed. by G. C.Marks & T. T.Kozlowski), pp. 231–298. Academic Press, New York .
- 1984), Effects of different geographic isolates of Glomus on the water relations of Agropyron smithii. Mycologia 76, 261–267. & (
- 1984), Mycorrhizae, water relations, growth, and nutrient uptake of geranium grown under moderately high phosphorus regimes. Journal of the American Society of Horticultural Science 109, 210–213. & (
- 1966), Role of plant growth in regulating photosynthesis. Nature 210, 77–79. & (
- 1970), Mycorrhizal responses of radiata pine in experiments with different fungi. Australian Forestry 34, 183–191. & (
- 1975 Source-sink relations and the partitioning of assimilates in the plant. In: Photosynthesis and Productivity in Different Environments (Ed. by J. P.Cooper), pp. 481–499. IBP Programme 3, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . . &
- 1979), Stomatal conductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282, 424–425. , & (