Present address: NRI, Chatham, Kent ME4 4TB.
Effect of powdery mildew infection on concentrations of apoplastic sugars in pea leaves
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 123, Issue 2, pages 283–288, February 1993
How to Cite
AKED, J. and HALL, J. L. (1993), Effect of powdery mildew infection on concentrations of apoplastic sugars in pea leaves. New Phytologist, 123: 283–288. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1993.tb03737.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 24 December 1991; accepted 25 September 1992)
- 1993. The uptake of glucose, fructose and sucrose into the lower epidermis of pea (Pisum sativum L. cv. Argenteum) leaf discs. New Phytologist 123: 271–276. , .
- 1974. Chemical analysis of ecological materials. AllenSC, ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications, 134. , , ,
- 1977. Effects of powdery mildew Erysiphe pisi and water stress upon the water relations of pea. Physiological Plant Pathology 10: 139–149. .
- 1988. Introduction and general principles. In: BakerDA, HallJL, eds. Solute transport in plant cells and tissues. Harlow : Longman, 1–27. , .
- 1978. The host-parasite physiology of the maize smut fungus Ustilago maydis 11. Translocation of the 14C-labelled assimilates in smutted maize plants. Physiological Plant Pathology 12: 102–112. , .
- 1978. Accumulation of solutes in relation to the structure and function of haustoria in powdery mildews. In: SpencerDM, ed. The powdery mildews. London , New York , San Francisco : Academic Press, 183–235. , .
- 1984. Characterisation of the parasitic-interface between Erysiphe pisi and Pisum sativum using fluorescent probes. Physiological Plant Physiology 25: 259–276. , .
- 1969. Malate dehydrogenase from pea epicotyls. Methods in Enzymology 13: 148–150. .
- 1983. Nycthemeral changes in intracellular and apoplastic sugars in Vicia faba leaves. Physiologie Vegetate 21: 459–467. , , ,
- 1977. Uptake and metabolism of carbohydrates by epidermal tissue. Planta 134: 83–90. ,
- 1971. Translocation of carbon in powdery mildewed barley. Plant Physiology 47: 324–328. .
- 1965. The sugar content of cell walls and intercellular spaces in sugar cane stems and its relation to sugar transport. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 18: 959–969. .
- 1971. Routine analysis by gas-liquid chromatography of carbohydrates in extracts of plant tissues. New Phytologist 70: 239–297. , .
- 1965. Method of obtaining fluid from the intercellular spaces of foliage and the fluid's merit as substrate for phytobacterial pathogens. Phytopathology 55: 1033–1034.
- 1966. Translocation in healthy and rust-affected beans. Phytopathology 56: 170–175. , .
- 1969. An improved method for the enzymic determination of glucose in the presence of maltose. Analytical Biochemistry 30: 467–470. , .
- 1990. Quantification of apoplastic potassium content by elution analysis of leaf lamina tissue from pea (Pisum sativum L. cv. Argenteum). Plant Physiology 94: 1040–1047. , .
- 1979. Physiology of fungal Haustoria (Erysiphales). Ph.D thesis, University of London, U.K . .
- 1978. Uptake of 14C photosynthates from Pisum sativum by haustoria of Ervsiphe pisi. Physiological Plant Pathology 12: 199–209. , .
- 1982. Transport, translocation and metabolism of 14C-photosynthates at the host-parasite interface of Pisum sativum and Erysiphe pisi. New Phytologist 91: 221–244. , .
- 1984. Apoplastic phloem unloading in the stem of bean. Journal of Experimental Botany 35: 538–550. , .
- 1975. Pisatin production in powdery mildewed pea seedlings. Phytopathology 65: 1263–1267. , , ,
- 1968. Transport of 3-0-methylglucose into and out of storage cells of Daucus carota. Plant Physiology 43: 1023–1030. ,
- 1987. Infection-related proteins in intercellular washing fluids from stem rust-affected wheat leaves: race-associated protein differences revealed by Page and Con A blotting. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 31: 375–386. , .
- 1978. General preparation and staining of thin sections. In: HallJL, ed. Electron microscopy and cytochemistry of plant cells. Amsterdam , Oxford , New York : Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, 1–63. .
- 1975. The injurious effect of pisatin on the plasma membrane of pea. Plant and Cell Physiology 16: 939–942. , , ,
- 1981. Understanding cell structure. Cambridge , New York , Melbourne : Cambridge University Press. .
- 1992. The effect of infection by Erysiphe pisi DC on acid and alkaline invertase activities and aspects of starch biochemistry in leaves of Pisum sativum L. New Phytologist 121: 535–543. , .
- 1980. An examination of centrifugation as a method of extracting an extracellular solution from peas, and its use for the study of indoleacetic acid-induced growth. Plant Physiology 66: 321–325. , .