Permanent address: Dept. of Biochemistry, North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong 793014, India.
The marine lichen Lichina confinis (O. F. Müll.) C. Ag.: ultrastructure and localization of nitrogenase, glutamine synthetase, phycoerythrin and ribulose 1, 5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in the cyanobiont
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 124, Issue 1, pages 149–160, May 1993
How to Cite
JANSON, S., RAI, A. N. and BERGMAN, B. (1993), The marine lichen Lichina confinis (O. F. Müll.) C. Ag.: ultrastructure and localization of nitrogenase, glutamine synthetase, phycoerythrin and ribulose 1, 5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in the cyanobiont. New Phytologist, 124: 149–160. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1993.tb03805.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 18 May 1992; accepted 18 January 1993)
- Lichina confinis;
- glutamine synthetase
Thallus ultrastructure and the localization of proteins involved in photosynthesis, N2 fixation and ammonia assimilation was studied in the Lichina confinis (O. F. Müll) C. Ag.-Calothrix symbiosis. The lichen thallus showed profuse branching. Within this, the cyanobiont was located in the cortical zone. Haustoria were frequently observed in contact with vegetative cells of the cyanobiont but not with heterocysts. An extensive mucilage layer containing numerous vesicles occurred around cyanobiont cells. Immunolabelling showed nitrogenase to be exclusively located in heterocysts of the cyanobiont and the free-living Calothrix sp. Glutamine synthetase (GS) levels in the cyanobiont were found to be drastically decreased compared to the levels in free-living (cultured) Calothrix sp. Such a decrease was more prominent in mature parts of the thallus than in the apical region. Rubisco was mostly located in carboxysomes of the vegetative cells of the cyanobiont. There were relatively low levels of Rubisco in the cytoplasm of vegetative cells, while heterocysts showed negligible levels. In free-living (cultured) Calothrix sp., phycoerythrin (PE) was found to be located along the thylakoid membranes both in vegetative cells and heterocysts. Cyanobiont cells showed a similar pattern but the levels were relatively lower.
relative molecular mass
transmission electron microscopy
scanning electron microscopy
- 1962 Lichens. In: LewisRA, ed. Physiology and biochemistry of algae. New York : Academic Press, 817.
- 1982 Algal/fungal symbioses. In: RoundFE, ChapmanDJ, eds. Progress in phycological research. Amsterdam : Elsevier Biomedical Press, 179–233.
- 1983 Ultrastructure of Stigonema in the cephalodia of Stereocaulon pashcale. Lichenologist 15: 181–190. ,
- 1985 Immunogold localization of glutamine synthetase in a nitrogen-fixing cyanobacterium (Anabaena cylindrica). Planta 166: 329–334. , , , ,
- 1986 Nitrogenase in free-living and symbiotic cyanobacteria: immunoelectron microscopic localization. FEMS Microbiology Letters 35: 75–78. , , .
- 1989 The Nostoc-Nephroma symbiosis: localization, distribution pattern and levels of key proteins involved in nitrogen and carbon metabolism of the cyanobiont. Physiologia Plantarum 11: 216–224. , .
- 1988 Dinitrogenase reductase (Fe-protein) of nitrogenase in the cyanobacterial symbionts of three Azolla species: localization and sequence of appearance during hetero-cyst differentiation. Planta 176: 319–333. , , ,
- 1990 Azolla-Anabaena symbiosis: biochemistry, physiology, ultrastructure and molecular biology. In: RaiAN, ed. CRC handbook of symbiotic cyanobacteria. Boca Raton , Florida : CRC Press Inc., 65–117. ,
- 1987 Studies on the ultrastructure of some cyanolichen haustoria. Protoplasma 139: 145–152. ,
- 1984 The carboxysomes (polyhedral bodies) of autotrophic prokaryotes. Biological Reviews 59: 389–422. , .
- 1980 Cellular compartmentation of photosynthetic and respiratory enzymes in the heterocystous cyanobacterium Anabaena cylindrica. Archives of Microbiology 124: 149–154. , , .
- 1982 Phycobilisomes: composition and structure. In: CarrNG, WhittonBA, eds. The biology of cyanobacteria. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publishers, 143–190. , .
- 1985 Localization of ribulose 1, 5–bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in the N2-fixing cyanobacterium Anabaena cylindrica. FEMS Microbiology Letters 28: 65–68. , , , , , .
- 1977 The physiology of the lichen Peltigera aphthosa, with special reference to the blue-green phycobiont (Nostoc sp.). Physiologia Plantarum 41: 298–304.
- 1986 Immunogold localization of glutamine synthetase in the cyanobionts of the lichens Peltigera aphtosa and Peltigera canina. Lichen Physiology and Biochemistry 1: 27–34. , , .
- 1978 Heterocysts. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 29: 319–344.
- 1982 Photosynthesis. In: CarrNG, WhittonBA, eds. The biology of cyanobacteria. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publishers, 191–214. , .
- 1991 Functional aspects of the symbiosis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 42: 553–578.
- 1986 Glutamine synthetase: activity and localization in cyanobacteria of the cycads Cycas revoluta and Zamia skinneri. Planta 169: 1–7. ,
- 1989 Occurrence and localization of phycoerythrin in symbiotic Nostoc of Cycas revoluta and in the free-living isolate Nostoc 7422. Plant Physiology 89: 783–785. ,
- 1976 In vitro dissociation and reassociation of the symbionts of the lichen Heppia echinulata. Protoplasma 87: 135–143. ,
- 1990 Cyanobacterial-bryophyte associations. In: RaiAN, ed. CRC handbook of symbiotic cyanobacteria. Boca Raton , Florida : CRC Press Inc., 43–63. .
- 1977 The oxygen tension within lichen thalli. The New Phytologist 79: 649–657. .
- 1982 Regulation of glutamine synthetase activity and synthesis in free-living and symbiotic Anabaena spp. Journal of Bacteriology 152: 626–635. ,
- 1971 Fine structure of the blue-green phycobiont and its relation to the mycobiont in two Gonohymenia lichens. Archives of Microbiology 76: 103–113. , ,
- 1973 Vesicles in the phycobiont sheath as possible transfer structures between the symbionts in the lichen Lichina pygmaea. The New Phytologist 72: 343–347.
- 1990a Cyanobacteria in Symbiosis. In: RaiAN, ed. CRC handbook of symbiotic cyanobacteria. Boca Raton , Florida : CRC Press Inc., 1–7. .
- 1990b Cyanobacteria-Fungal Symbioses: The Cyanolichens. In: RaiAN, ed. CRC handbook of symbiotic cyanobacteria. Boca Raton , Florida : CRC Press Inc., 9–41. .
- 1989 Anthoceros Sostoc symbiosis: immuno electronmicroscopic localization of nitrogenase, glutamine synthetase, phycoerythrin and ribulose- 1, 5–bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in the cyanobiont and the cultured (free-living) isolate Nostoc 7801. Journal of General Microbiology 135: 385–395. , , ,
- 1981 15N2-incorporation and metabolism in the lichen Peltigera aphtosa Willd. Planta 152: 544–552. , , .
- 1983 Interaction between cyanobacterium and fungus during l5N2, incorporation and metabolism in the lichen. Peltigera canina. Archives of Microbiology 134: 136–142. , ,
- 1990 Correlation between nitrogenase and glutamine synthetase expression in the cyanobacterium Anabaena cylindrica. Physiologia Plantarum 80: 12–19. , ,
- 1968 Lichen physiology XI. The role of alga in determining the pattern of carbohydrate movement between lichen symbionts. The New Phytologist 67: 469–486. , , .
- 1979 Generic assignments, strain histories and properties of pure culture of cyanobacteria. Journal of General Microbiology 111: 1–61. , , , , .
- 1985 Studies on the nitrogen metabolism of the lichens Peltigera aphthosa and Peltigera canina. In: BrownDH, ed. Lichen physiology and cell biology. London : Plenum Press, 145–160. , , .
- 1970 Algal fixation of atmospheric nitrogen. Plant and Soil 32: 555–588. .
- 1980, Some aspects of structure and function in N., fixing cyanobacteria. Annual Revieic of Microbiology 34: 497–536. .
- 1977 Modification of nitrogen-fixing algae in lichen symbioses. Nature (London) 265: 371–372. ,
- 1983 Cyanobacterial-eukaryotic plant symbioses. Annales de Microbiologie (Inst. Pasteur) 134 B: 205–228. , , .
- 1990 Developmental labelled nitrogen fixation in the Nostoc-Gunnera drica magellanica Lam. symbiosis. Planta 182: 355–362. , ,
- 1982 Heterocysts. In: CarrNG, WhittonBA, eds. The biology of cyanobacteria. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publishers, 359–386. .
- 1976 Pathway of nitrogen metabolism after fixation of 13N-labelled nitrogen gas by the cyanobacterium, Anabaena cylindrical. Journal of Biological Chemistry 251: 5027–5034. , , , ,
- 1983 Phycobilijproteins in Anbaena 7119 heterocysts. In: PapageorgiouGC, PackerL, eds. New York : Elsevier, 69–90. , .