Light environment alters response to ozone stress in seedlings of Acer saccharum Marsh, and hybrid Populus L.
II. Diagnostic gas exchange and leaf chemistry
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 124, Issue 4, pages 637–646, August 1993
How to Cite
VOLIN, J. C., TJOELKER, M. G., OLEKSYN, J. and REICH, P. B. (1993), Light environment alters response to ozone stress in seedlings of Acer saccharum Marsh, and hybrid Populus L. New Phytologist, 124: 637–646. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1993.tb03853.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 20 November 1992; accepted 22 March 1993)
- 1989 Biosynthesis and anti-oxidant function of glutathione in plants. Physiologia Plantarum 77: 457–464. .
- 1982 Effects of low concentrations of ozone, singly, and in combination with sulphur dioxide on net photosynthesis rates of Vicia faba L. Journal of Experimental Botany 33: 1302–1311. , , .
- 1990. Assessment of Rubisco activity. MS thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison , Wisconsin , USA . .
- 1981 Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1988 Extracellular ascorbic acid and enzyme activities related to ascorbic acid metabolism in Sedum album L. leaves after ozone exposure. Environmental and Experimental Botany 28: 231–238. , .
- 1981. Applied regression analysis, 2nd edn. New York : John Wiley and Sons, Inc. , .
- 1991. Variation in leaf structure, nitrogen, and photosynthesis across light gradients in a temperate and tropical forest. PhD. dissertation, University of Wisconsin, Madison , Wisconsin , USA . .
- 1992. Leaf mass per area, nitrogen content and photosynthetic carbon gain in Acer saccharum seedlings in contrasting forest light environments. Functional Ecology 6: 423–435. , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. New York : Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 1988. Ontogenetic patterns of CO2 exchange of Quercus rubra L. leaves during three flushes of shoot growth I. Median flush leaves. Forest Science 34 (1): 55–68. , , , .
- 1987. An optimal sampling strategy for determining CO2 exchange rate as a function of photosynthetic photon flux density. Photosynthetica 21(1): 98–101. , , , .
- 1979 A method for the extraction of chlorophyll from leaf tissue without maceration. Canadian Journal of Botany 57: 1332–1334. , .
- 1987 The effect of ozone in ambient air on ribulosebisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activity decreases photosynthesis and grain yield in wheat. Journal of Plant Physiology 130: 189–200. , , , .
- 1965. Growth of tree seedlings as affected by light intensity. I. White birch, yellow birch, sugar maple and silver maple. Department of Forestry of Canada, publication number 1121, Ottawa , Canada . .
- 1982. Effects of oxidants on metabolic function. In: UnsworthMH, OrmordDP, eds. Effects of gaseous air pollution in agriculture and horticulture. London : Butterworth Scientific, 189–203. .
- 1981 Depression of net photosynthesis in Vicia faba L. exposed to sulphur dioxide and ozone. Nature (London) 291: 585–586. , , .
- 1983 Ozone-induced reduction in quantity of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase in alfalfa foliage. Plant Physiology 73: 185–187. , .
- 1983. Effects of low concentrations of O3 on net photosynthesis, dark respiration and chlorophyll contents in aging hybrid poplar leaves, Plant Physiology 73: 291–296. .
- 1987 Quantifying plant response to ozone: a unifying theory. Tree Physiology 3: 63–91. .
- 1985 Ambient levels of ozone reduce net photosynthesis in tree and crop species. Science 230: 566–570. , .
- 1984 Effects of low level O3 exposure on leaf diffusive conductance and water-use efficiency in hybrid poplar. Plant, Cell and Environment 7: 661–668. , .
- 1988. Diagnostic gas exchange for analyzing functional limitations for branches. In: WinnerWE, PhelpsLB, eds. Proceedings of workshop on response of trees to air pollution: the role of branch studies, USA. , .
- 1989 Effects of chronic doses of ozone on loblolly pine: photosynthetic characteristics in the third growing season. Forest Science 3: 745–755. , .
- Statistical Analysis System. 1985. SAS user's guide: Statistics. Version 5. Cary , North Carolina , USA : SAS Institute Inc.
- 1988 Immunological properties of spinach glutathione reductase and inductive biosynthesis of the enzyme with ozone. Plant and Cell Physiology 29: 637–642. , , .
- 1982. Variation in plant response to ozone: a conceptual model of physiological events. In: UnsworthMH, OrmrodDP, eds. Effects of gaseous air pollution in agriculture and horticulture. London : Butterworth Scientific, 113–138. ,
- 1993 Light environment alters response to ozone stress in seedlings of Acer saccharum Marsh, and hybrid Populus L. I. In situ net photosynthesis, dark respiration and growth. New Phvtologist 124: 627–636. , , , .
- 1979 Stomatal con-ductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282: 424–426. , , .
- 1985 Leaf conductance in relation to rate of CO2 assimilation I. Influence of nitrogen nutrition, phosphorus nutrition, photon flux density, and ambient partial pressure of CO2 during ontogeny. Plant Physiology 78: 821–825. , , .