Nitrogen uptake, partitioning and internal cycling in Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr. as influenced by nitrogen supply
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 125, Issue 1, pages 113–119, September 1993
How to Cite
MILLARD, P. and PROE, M. F. (1993), Nitrogen uptake, partitioning and internal cycling in Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr. as influenced by nitrogen supply. New Phytologist, 125: 113–119. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1993.tb03869.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 6 January 1993; accepted 12 April 1993)
- 1980. Effects of irrigation and fertilisation on mineral nutrients in Scots pine needles. In: PressonT, ed. Structure and function of northern coniferous forests – an ecosystem study. Stockholm : Swedish Natural Science Research Council, 219–228. , .
- 1985. Above-Ground nutrient distribution and cycling in Pinus radiata D. Don and Eucalyptus obliqua L'Hérit, Forests in south eastern Australia. Forest Ecology and Management 13: 41–52. , .
- 1990. Needle growth in Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis): effects of nutrient deficiency and needle position within shoots. Tree Physiology 6: 41–56. , .
- 1983. Seasonal changes in nitrogen and phosphorus fractions and autumn retranslocation in evergreen and deciduous taiga trees. Ecology 64: 376–391. , .
- 1992. Accumulation and retranslocation of foliar nitrogen in fertilised and irrigated Pinus radiata. Forest Ecology and Management 52: 201–223. , .
- 1985. Effects on growth of simulated and induced pruning by Tomicus pini perda as related to carbohydrate and nitrogen dynamics in Scots pine. Journal of Applied Ecology 22: 105–124. , , , , .
- 1992. Effects of leaf longevity and retranslocation efficiency on the retention time of nutrients in the leaf biomass of different woody species. Oecologia 90: 80–87. , , , .
- 1991. Internal redistribution of N in Sitka spruce seedlings with partly droughted root systems. Forest Science 37: 860–870. , .
- 1984. Movement of nutrients in Radiata pine needles in relation to the growth of shoots. Annals of Botany 54: 303–314. , .
- 1992. Is long-lived foliage in Picea mariana an adaptation to nutrient-poor conditions Oecologia 91: 184–191. , , .
- 1992a. Nutrient: retransloeation within the foliage of Pinus sylvestris. Tree Physiology 10: 45–58. .
- 1992b. Nutrient retranslocation in three Pinus sylvestris stands. Forest Ecology and Management 51: 347–367. .
- 1989. Implications of leaf longevity, leaf nutrient re-absorption and translocation for the resource economy of five evergreen plant species. Oikos 56: 121–131. .
- 1989. The influence of nitrogen supply on the uptake and remobilisation of stored N for the seasonal growth of apple trees. Annals of Botany 63: 301–309. , .
- 1991. Leaf demography and the seasonal internal cycling of nitrogen in sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus L.) seedlings in relation to nitrogen supply. New Phytologist 117: 587–596. , .
- 1992. Storage and internal cycling of nitrogen in relation to the seasonal growth of Sikta spruce. Tree Physiology 10: 33–43. , .
- 1979. Nutrient cycles in pines and their adaptation to poor soils. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 9: 19–26. , , , .
- 1987. Growth and nutrient retranslocation in needles of radiata pine in relation to nitrogen supply. Annals of Botany 60: 147–156. , .
- 1992. Longevity and senescence of needles in Pinus cembra L. Trees 6: 156–161. , .
- 1979. Fine-root production, mortality and decomposition in forest ecosystems. Vegetatio 41: 101–107. .
- 1979. The nitrogen economy of a Pinus pinea L. stand. Forest Ecology and Management 2: 221–231. , , .
- 1992. Leaf life-span in relation to leaf, plain, and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 1977. Effect of nitrogen availability on nitrogen cycling in a Douglas-fir stand. Forest Science 23: 307–316. .