The demography of fine roots in response to patches of water and nitrogen
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 125, Issue 3, pages 575–580, November 1993
How to Cite
PREGITZER, K. S., HENDRICK, R. L. and FOGEL, R. (1993), The demography of fine roots in response to patches of water and nitrogen. New Phytologist, 125: 575–580. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1993.tb03905.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 15 January 1993; accepted 4 July 1993)
- 1985. Fine root turnover in forest ecosystems in relation to quantity and form of nitrogen availability: a comparison of two methods. Oecotogia 66: 317–321. , , , ,
- 1983. Effects of N fertilization on populations of fine roots and mycorrhizae in spruce humus. Plant and Soil 71: 49–53. , .
- 1980. Phosphorus influx and growth characteristics of corn roots as influenced by phosphorus supply. Agronomy Journal 72: 685–688. , .
- 1992. Soil solution phosphate, root uptake kinetics and nutrient acquisition: implications for a patchy soil environment. Oecologia 89: 305–309. , ,
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 599–605. .
- 1987. Morphological plasticity and mineral nutrient capture in two herbaceous species of contrasted ecology. New Phytologist 107: 403–414. , .
- 1975. Comparison of the effects of a localized supply of phosphate, nitrate, ammonium and potassium on the growth of the seminal root system, and the shoot, in barley. New Phytologist 75: 479–490. .
- 1975. Nutrient supply and the growth of the seminal root system in barley. II. Localized, compensatory increases in lateral root growth and rates of nitrate uptake when nitrate supply is restricted to only part of the root system. Journal of Experimental Botany 26: 79–90. , .
- 1978. Nutrient supply and the growth of the seminal root system in barley. III. Compensatory increases in growth of lateral roots, and in rates of phosphate uptake, in response to a localized supply of phosphate. Journal of Experimental Botany 29: 435–451. , .
- 1973. Nutrient supply and growth of the seminal root system in barley. I. The effect of nitrate concentration on the growth of axes and laterals. Journal of Experimental Botany 24: 11189–1202. , , .
- 1991. On the relationship between specific root length and rate of root proliferation: a field study using citris rootstocks. New Phytologist. 118: 63–68. .
- 1988. Seasonal timing of root growth in favorable microsites. Ecology 69: 870–873. , .
- 1989. Estimation of phosphorus uptake capacity by different zones of the primary root of soil-grown maize (Zea mays L.) Z. Pflanzenrnahr. Bodenk. 152: 21–25. , ,
- 1985. Functional significance of root morphology and root system architecture. In: FitterAH, ed. Ecological interactions in the soil: plants, microbes and animals. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 87–106. .
- 1991. The University of Michigan Soil Biotron: a platform for soil biology research in a natural forest. In: AtkinsonD, ed. Plant root growth, an ecological perspective. Special Publication No. 10 of The British Ecological Society. Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 61–68. ,
- 1988. Effects of mineral nutrients on senescence of the cortex of wheat roots and root pieces. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 20: 525–531. , .
- 1991. Root plasticity, nitrogen capture and competitive ability. In: AtkinsonD, ed. Plant root growth, an ecological perspective. Special Publication No. 10 of The British Ecological Society, Oxford : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 381–397. , , , .
- 1986. The ecological significance of plasticity. In: JenningsDH, TrewavasAJ, eds. Plasticity in plants. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 5–29. , , .
- 1993. Fine root growth and demographic responses to nutrient patches in four old-field plant species. Oceologia (in the press). , , .
- 1992a. The demography of fine roots in a northern hardwood forest. Ecology 73: 1094–1104. , .
- 1992b. Spatial variation in root distribution and growth associated with minirhizotrons. Plant and Soil 143: 283–288. ,
- 1993. Patterns of fine root mortality in two sugar maple forests. Nature 361: 59–61. , .
- 1988. Differential foraging for resources and structural plasticity in plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 3: 200–204. .
- 1989. The timing and degree of root proliferation in fertile-soil microsites for three cold-desert perennials. Oceologia 81: 149–153. , .
- 1991. Kinetic responses of Pseuduroegneria roots to localized soil enrichment. Plant and Soil 138: 231–238. , .
- 1990. Rapid physiological adjustment of roots to localized soil enrichment. Nature 344: 58–60. , , .
- 1981. Above- and belowground net production in 40 yr old Douglas-fir stands on low and high productivity sites. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 599–605. , .
- 1991. Relationship between root cortical senescence and growth of wheat as influenced by mineral nutrition. Idriella bolleyi (Sprague) von Arx and pruning of leaves. New Phytologist 118: 391–396. , .
- 1974. The role of pin cherry (Prumis pensylvanica L.) in the maintenance of stability in northern hardwood ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 44: 73–88. .
- 1985. Fine roots, net primary production and nitrogen availability: a new hypothesis. Ecology 66: 1377–1390. , , .
- 1992. A comparison of presettlement and present-day forests on two bigtooth aspen-dominated landscapes in northern lower Michigan. American Midland Naturalist 127: 327–338. , .
- 1993. Growth depression in mycorrhizal citris at high-phosphorus supply: analysis of carbon costs. Plant Physiology 101: 1063–1071. , , , , .
- 1986. Statistical analysis of survival and removal rate experiments. Ecology 67: 240–245. , .
- 1991. What limits nitrate uptake from soil Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 77–85. , ,
- 1967. Nutrient uptake by different parts of the intact roots of plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 18: 491–508. ,
- 1986. Strategies of resource capture by plants - evidence for adversity selection. Journal of Theoretical Biology 118: 247–250. , .
- 1986. Production, turnover and nutritional dynamics of above- and belowground detritus of world forests. Advances in Ecological Research 15: 303–307. , , .
- 1958. Density of root branching as affected by substrate and separate ions. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 7: 174–190. .
- 1990. Spatial and temporal variability in nitrogen cycling in northern Lower Michigan. Forest Science 36: 367–380. , .