Current address: British Antarctic Survey, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ET, UK.
The distribution of arbuscular mycorrhizas in the British flora
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 125, Issue 4, pages 845–854, December 1993
How to Cite
PEAT, H. J. and FITTER, A. H. (1993), The distribution of arbuscular mycorrhizas in the British flora. New Phytologist, 125: 845–854. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1993.tb03933.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 25 March 1993; accepted 16 July 1993)
- 1980. Natural re-establishment of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae following stripmine reclamation in Wyoming. Journal of Applied Ecology 17: 13–47. , .
- 1992. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems -structure and function. In: ReadDJ, LewisDH, FitterAH, AlexanderIJ. eds. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems. Wallingford : CAB International. 59–64. , .
- 1975. The magnolioid mycorrhiza and mycotrophy in root systems derived from it. In: SandersFE, MosseB, TinkerPB, eds. Endomycorrhizas. London : Academic Press, 373–389. .
- 1990. The nature and properties of soils, 10th edn. New York : Macmillan Publishing Company. .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas in natural ecosystems. Advances in Ecological Research 21: 171–313.
- 1992. Oxygen availability as an ecological limit to plant distribution. Advances in Ecological Research 23: 93–185. .
- 1988. Vegetation ecology of central Europe, 4th edn. Cambridge University Press.
- 1978. An atlas of the wild flowers of Britain and Northern Europe. London : Collins. .
- 1991. Costs and benefits of mycorrhizas: implication for functioning under natural conditions. Experientia 47: 350–355. .
- 1993. The Ecological Flora Database. BES Bulletin XXIV: 7–14. .
- 1993. Interactions between mycorrhizal fungi and other organisms. Plant and Soil (in the press). ,
- 1979. Plant strategies and vegetation processes. Chichester : John Wiley & Sons. .
- 1987. A check-list of mycorrhiza in the British flora. New Psychogist 105 (supplement): 1–102. , .
- 1991. The comparative method in evolutionary biology. Oxford University Press. , .
- 1980. Mycorrhizae influence tropical succession. Biotropica 12 (Supplement): 56–95. .
- 1974. The occurrence of mycorrhiza in halophytes, hydrophytes and xerophytes, and of Endngone spores in adjacent soils. Journal of General Microbiology 81: 7–14. .
- 1980. Ecological and evolutionary significance of mycorrhizal symbioses in vascular plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 77: 2113–2118. , , .
- 1991. The CORINE biotopes manual. Habitats of the European Community. Data specifications – Part 2. Commission of the European Communities, EUR 12587/3. Luxembourg.
- 1987. The water relations of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal systems. In: SafirGR, ed. Ecophysiology of VA mycorrhizal plants. Boca Raton , Florida : CRC Press Inc., 71–91. .
- 1987. The distribution of mycorrhizas among families of vascular plants. New Phytologist 106: 745–751. ,
- 1988. Recent developments in the analysis of comparative data. The Quarterly Review of Biology 63: 413–438. , .
- 1992. An ecological database of the British flora. D.Phil. thesis. University of York, UK . .
- 1981. Interactions between fungi and plants through the ages. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 1824–1832. .
- 1975. The origin of land plants: a matter of mycotrophism. Biosystems 6: 156–164. , .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems. Experientia 47: 376–391. .
- 1976. Vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhiza in natural vegetation systems. I. The occurrence of infection. New Phytologist 77: 641–653. , &
- 1979. The role of endomycorrhizae in revegetation practices in the semi-arid west. I. A comparison of incidence of mycorrhizae in severely distributed vs. natural environments. American Journal of Botany 66: 6–13. , , ,
- 1942. The reproductive capacity of plants. London : Bell. .
- 1993a. Antifungal compounds form the roots of mycotrophic and non-mycotrophic plant species. New Phytologist 123: 99–105. , .
- 1993b. Mustards, mustard oils and mycorrhizas. Nets Phytologist 123: 107–113. , .
- 1967. The biology of aquatic vascular plants. London : Edward Arnold. .
- 1981. Seed size, life span, and germination date, as coadapted features of plant life history. American Naturalist 118: 860–864. .
- 1980. Root size, root hairs and mycorrhizal infection: A re-examination of Baylis's hypothesis with tropical trees. New Phytologist 84: 483–487. .
- 1987. Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae from the Triassic of Antarctica. American Journal of Botany 74: 1904–1911. , , .
- 1987. The phenomenon of 'non-mycorrhizal' plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 65: 419–431. , , .
- 1987. Phylogenetic and ecologic aspects of mycotrophy in the angiosperms from an evolutionary standpoint. In: SafirGR, ed. Ecophysiology of VA mycorrhizal plants. Boca Raton , Florida : CRC Press. Inc., 5–25. .
- 1992. Comparative evolutionary ecology of seed size. TREE 7: 368–372. , ,