Role of superoxide, lipid peroxidation and superoxide dismutase in membrane perturbation during loss of viability in seeds of Shorea robusta Gaertn.f.
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 126, Issue 4, pages 623–627, April 1994
How to Cite
CHAITANYA, K. S. K. and NAITHANI, S. C. (1994), Role of superoxide, lipid peroxidation and superoxide dismutase in membrane perturbation during loss of viability in seeds of Shorea robusta Gaertn.f. New Phytologist, 126: 623–627. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb02957.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 9 March 1993; accepted 24 November 1993)
- 1992 Homoihydrous (Recalcitrant) seeds: developmental status, desiccation sensitivity and the state of water in axes of Landolphia kirkii Dyer. Planta 86: 249–261. , ,
- 1986 Membrane changes in seeds as related to germination and The perturbations resulting from deterioration in storage. In: Physiology of seed deterioration. CCSA Special Publication No. 11. Madison , USA : Crop Science Society of America, 27–45. .
- 1988 Deterioration of maize and mustard seeds: changes in phospholipids and tocopherol content in relation to membrane leakiness and lipid peroxidation. Agrochimica Vol. xxxii, nos 5–6: 430–439. , .
- 1982 Inhibition of protein synthesis by products of lipid peroxidation. Phytochemtstry 21: 309–314. .
- 1985 Drought tolerance in two mosses: correlated with enzymatic defence against lipid peroxidation. Journal of Experimental Botany 32: 79–91. ,
- 1988 Recalcitrance -a current assessment. Seed Science & Technology 16: 155–156. , ,
- 1984 Lipid peroxidation. oxygen radicals, cell damage and antioxidant therapy. Lancet 23: 1396–1397. , .
- 1976 Association of lipid oxidation with seed aging and death- Nature 260: 323–324. , .
- 1968 Photoprroxidation in isolated chioroplasts. 1. Kinetics and stoichiometry of fatty acid peroxidation. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 125: 189–198. ,
- 1990 A comparison of maturation drying, germination and desiccation tolerance between developing seeds of Acer pseudoplatanus L. and Acer plalanoides L. New Phytologist 116: 589–596. , .
- International Seed Testing Association 1985 International rules for seed testing. Seed Science is Technology 13: 299–355.
- 1990 The role of free radicals and radical processing systems in loss of desiccation tolerance in germinating maize (Zee mays L.) New Phytologist 116: 573–580. , , , , .
- 1974 Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. European Journal nf Biochemistry 47: 469–471. ,
- 1976 Free radical mechanisms of lipid damage and consequences for cellular membranes. In: PyrorWA. ed. Free radicals in biology, vol. 1. New York : Academic Press, 51–68. .
- 1987 The role of IAA oxidase, peroxidase and polyphenol oxidase in the fibre initiation on the cotton ovule. Beitrage zur Biologie der Pflanzen 62: 79–90. .
- 1981 Journal of the oil technologists association of India 13: 120. In: BringiNV, ed. Non-traditional oil seeds and oils of India. 1987. India, 1–56. , , , , , .
- 1985a Seed viability in sal. I. Physiological and biochemical aspects of seed development in Shorea robusta. Seed Science & Technology 13: 59–68. , .
- 1985b Seed viability in sal. II. Physiological and biochemical aspects of aginfi in seeds of Shorea robusta. Seed Science & Technology 13: 69–76. , .
- 1985c Seed viability in sal. III. Membrane disruption in aging seeds of Shorea robusta. Seed Science Is Technology 13: 77–82. , .
- 1991 Homeo-hydrous (recalcitrant) seeds: dehydration, the state of water and viability characteristics in Landolphia kirkii. Plant Physiology 96: 1093–1098. , ,
- 1991 The isozymes of superoxide dismutase in rice. Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica 32: 253–258. ,
- 1982 Effect of storage temperatures on the viability of sal (I Shorea rubusta) and talura (Shorea talura) seed. Forest Science 28: 526–530. , , .
- 1982 Lipid peroxidation and membrane damage in deteriorating wheat (Triticum aestnwm cultivar Sonalika) and mustard (Brassica juncea cultivar B85) seeds. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 20: 465–470. , .
- 1981 The loss of desiccation-tolerance during germination: an ultrastructural and biochemical approach. Protoplasms 105: 225–239. , , .
- 1992 Effects of desiccation on some activated oxygen processing enzymes and antioxidants in mosses. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1031–1037. , , .
- 1983 Dehydration injury in germinating soybean. Plant Physiology 72: 620–624. , .
- 1981 Active oxygen participation in chlorophyll destruction and lipid peroxidation in sulfur dioxide fumigated leaves of spinach (Spinacia oleracea cultivar New Asia). Plant Ceil Physiology 21: 1193–1204. , , ,
- 1978 Membranes in dry and imbibing seeds. In: CroweJS, CleggJS, eds. Dry biological systems. New York : Academic Press, 205–224. .
- 1985 The influence of moisture content and storage temperature on ihe viability of Shorea almon, Shorea robusta, and Shurea roxburghii seed. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 15: 1074–1079. .
- 1992 A review of the literature on storage of dipterocarp seeds. Seed Science & Technology 20: 251–267. .
- 1986 The lipid peroxidation model of seed aging. Seed Science Sf Technology 14: 269–300. ,