Energy content, construction cost and phytomass accumulation of Glycine max (L.) Merr. and Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench grown in elevated CO2 in the field
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 128, Issue 3, pages 443–450, November 1994
How to Cite
AMTHOR, J. S., MITCHELL, R. J., RUNION, G. B., ROGERS, H. H., PRIOR, S. A. and WOOD, C. W. (1994), Energy content, construction cost and phytomass accumulation of Glycine max (L.) Merr. and Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench grown in elevated CO2 in the field. New Phytologist, 128: 443–450. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb02990.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 1 March 1994; accepted 5 July 1994)
- 1991. Respiration in a future, higher-CO2 world. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 13–20. .
- 1994a. Respiration and carbon assimilate use. In: BooteKJ, BennettJM, SinclairTR, PaulsenGM, eds. Physiology and determination of crop yield. Madison , WI : American Society of Agronomy, 221–250. .
- 1994b. Plant respiratory responses to elevated CO2 and their implications for growth enhancement with increasing atmospheric CO2. In: AllenLH, ed. Advances in CO2 effects research. Madison, WI: American Society of Agronomy (in the press). .
- 1992. CO2 inhibits respiration in leaves of Rumex crispus L. Plant Physiology 98: 757–760. , , .
- 1993. Ecophysiological responses of plants to global environmental change since the Last Glacial Maximum. New Phytologist 125: 641–648. , .
- 1993. Facing the inevitable: plants and increasing atmospheric CO2. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 309–332.
- 1993. Elevated CO2 and plant nitrogen-use: is reduced tissue nitrogen concentration size-dependent Oecologia 93: 195–200. , , .
- 1990. Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects on belowground processes in C3 and C4 estuarine marsh communities. Ecology 71: 2001–2006. , , , .
- 1989. Nitrogen and carbon dynamics in C3 and C4 estuarine marsh plants grown under elevated CO2 in situ. Oecologia 78: 297–301. , , .
- 1991. Canopy photosynthesis of crops and native plant communities exposed to long-term elevated CO2. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 853–860. , .
- 1991. The interaction of rising CO2, and temperatures with water use efficiency. Plant Cell and Environment 14: 843–852.
- 1989. The effects of enriched CO2 atmospheres on plant-insect herbivore interactions: growth responses of larvae of the specialist butterfly, Junonia coenia (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Oecologia 81: 514–520. .
- 1993. Nitrogen and water stress interactions in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) Ph.D. thesis, Auburn University, USA . .
- 1993. Effects of nitrogen supply and elevated carbon dioxide on construction cost in leaves of Pinus taeda (L.) seedlings. Oecologia 95: 575–580. , , .
- 1993. Foliar gas exchange responses of two deciduous hardwoods during 3 years of growth in elevated CO2: no loss of photosynthetic enhancement. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 797–807. , , .
- 1984. CO2-enrichment effects on wheat yield and physiology. Crop Science 24: 1163–1168. , , .
- 1991. Effects of CO2 enrichment and nitrogen stress on growth and partitioning of dry matter and nitrogen in wheat and maize. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 339–356. , .
- 1992. Climate change 1992. The supplementary report to the IPCC scientific assessment. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , , (Eds.).
- 1986. Procedures used for soil and plant analysis by the Auburn University Soil Testing laboratory. Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama. , .
- 1993. Further responses to CO2 enrichment in British herbaceous species. Functional Ecology 7: 661–668. , , , .
- 1977. Enzymatic assay of 10−7 to 10−14 moles of sucrose in plant tissue. Plant Physiology 60: 379–383. , , .
- 1991. Nutrient dilution by starch in CO2-enriched Chrysanthemum. Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 711–716. , , , .
- 1988. Calculation of growth yield, growth respiration and heat content of grain sorghum from elemental and proximal analyses. Annals of Botany 62: 353–361. , .
- 1991. The effects of increasing CO2 on crop photosynthesis and productivity: a review of field studies. Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 807–818. , .
- 1975. Measurement of caloric values. In LiethH, WhittakerR, eds. Primary productivity of the biosphere. New York : Springer-Verlag, 119–129.
- 1992. Crop ecology: productivity and management in agricultural systems. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1987. The carbon economy of a maize crop exposed to elevated CO2 concentrations and water stress, as determined from elemental analysis. Field Crops Research 17: 63–74. , .
- 1981. Elemental composition of biomass and its relation to energy content, growth efficiency, and growth yield. Annals of Botany 48: 275–290. , .
- 1992. Productivity and compensatory responses of yellow-poplar trees in elevated CO2. Nature 357: 322–324. , , , , .
- 1986. Effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on the growth and mineral nutrition of Quercus alba seedlings in nutrient-poor soil. Plant Physiology 82: 83–89. , , .
- 1990. Energetics and biological costs of nitrogen assimilation. In: MiflinBJ, ed. The biochemistry of plants, vol. 16, Intermediary nitrogen metabolism . San Diego : Academic Press, 1–42. , .
- 1989. Simulation of ecophysiological processes of growth in several annual crops. Wageningen , The Netherlands : PUDOC. , , ,
- 1983a. Responses of selected plant species to elevated carbon dioxide in the field. Journal of Environmental Quality 12: 569–574. , , , , .
- 1986. Soybean growth and yield response to elevated carbon dioxide. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 16: 113–128. , , .
- 1984. Influence of elevated CO2 on growth of soybean plants. Crop Science 24: 361–366. , , , .
- 1983b. A field technique for the study of plant responses to elevated carbon dioxide concentrations. Journal of the Air Pollution Control Association 33: 42–44. , , .
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment with emphasis on roots and the rhizosphere. Environmental Pollution 83: 155–189. , , .
- 1990. Carbon dioxide effects on carbohydrate status and partitioning in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1601–1608. , , , .
- 1993. Growth and maintenance components of leaf respiration of cotton grown in elevated carbon dioxide partial pressure. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 539–546. , , , .
- 1987. Estimation of tissue construction cost from heat of combustion and organic nitrogen content. Plant, Cell and Environment 10: 725–734. , , , .
- 1979. Elevated atmospheric partial pressure of CO2 and plant growth. I. Interactions of nitrogen nutrition and photosynthetic capacity in C3 and C4 plants. Oecologia 44: 68–74. .
- 1992. Respiration cost of leaf growth and maintenance in white oak saplings exposed to atmospheric CO2, enrichment. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22: 1717–1721. , .
- 1992. Growth and maintenance respiration in leaves of Liriodendron tulipifera L. exposed to long-term carbon dioxide enrichment in the field. New Phytologist 121: 515–523. , , .
- 1994. Respiration responses of higher plants to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 221–229. , , .