Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, PO Box 601, The University, Sheffield S10 2UQ, UK.
Effect of nitrogen supply on frost hardiness in Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull.
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 128, Issue 3, pages 461–468, November 1994
How to Cite
CAPORN, S. J. M., RISAGER, M. and LEE, J. A. (1994), Effect of nitrogen supply on frost hardiness in Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull. New Phytologist, 128: 461–468. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb02992.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 14 October 1993; accepted 21 June 1994)
- 1991. Sulphate and ammonium mist impair the frost hardening of red spruce seedlings. New Phytologist 118: 119–126. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Effects of atmospheric nitrogen deposition on the nitrogen metabolism of moorland heather (Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull). MSc. thesis, University of Manchester.
- 1989. Nitrogen fertilization enhances cold tolerance of red spruce seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19: 1037–1043. , , .
- 199091. Effects of ammonia, ammonium sulphate and sulphur dioxide on the frost sensitivity of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.). Water, Air and Soil Pollution 54: 35–49. , , , .
- 1989. Effects of acid mist on the frost hardiness of red spruce seedlings. New Phytologist 113: 321–335. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Investigations of nitrogen as a possible contributor to red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) decline. In: CowlingEB, ed. Proceedings of the symposium on effects of air pollutants on forest ecosystems, 8–9 May 1985, Minneapolis , MN . Minneapolis : The University of Minnesota Press, 95–106. , , .
- 1972. Ecology of heathlands. London : Chapman and Hall. .
- 1992. Effects of increasing nitrogen deposition and acidification on heathlands. In: SchneiderT, ed. Acidification research, evaluation and policy applications. Amsterdam : Elsevier, 97–106. , , .
- 1992. Acidic mist and nitrogen fertilization effects on growth, nitrate reductase activity, gas exchange, and frost hardiness of red spruce seedlings. New Phytologist 121: 611–622. , , .
- 1988. Growth responses and delayed winter hardening in Sitka spruce following summer exposure to ozone. New Phytologist 108: 495–504. , , , .
- 1990. The effects of ozone exposure and growth temperature on the development of winter injury in Sitka spruce seedlings. In: PayerHD, PfirrmannT, eds. Environmental research with plants in closed chambers. Air pollution research report 26. Belgium : Commission of the European Communities, 381–394. ,
- 1989. Quantification of frost damage in plant tissues by rates of electrolyte leakage. New Phytologist 113: 307–311. , ,
- 1987. Frost survival of plants. Ecological Studies 62. Berlin , Heidelberg : Springer-Verlag. ,
- 1988. Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences. Singapore : McGraw-Hill. , .
- 1990. Effects of NH3 and (NH4)SO4 deposition on a terrestrial semi-natural vegetation on nutrient poor soils. Dutch priority programme on acidification report, project no. 124/125. Wageningen, The Netherlands: Research Institute for Plant Protection and Research Institute for Nature management. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Practical statistics for experimental biologists. Chichester : John Wiley. .
- 1992. Foliar uptake and release of inorganic nitrogen compounds in Pinus sylvestris L. and Picea abies (L.) Karst. New Phytologist 120: 407–416.