Invertase: understanding changes in the photosynthetic and carbohydrate metabolism of barley leaves infected with powdery mildew
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 126, Issue 2, pages 213–222, February 1994
How to Cite
SCHOLES, J. D., LEE, P. J., HORTON, P. and LEWIS, D. H. (1994), Invertase: understanding changes in the photosynthetic and carbohydrate metabolism of barley leaves infected with powdery mildew. New Phytologist, 126: 213–222. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb03939.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 16 July 1993; accepted 22 September 1993)
- 1983. Photosynthesis and chloroplast functioning in leaves of barley infected with brown rust. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 23: 411–419. , ,
- 1981. Ed. Effects of disease on the physiology of the growing plant. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 1991. Accumulation of β-fructosidase in the cell walls of tomato roots following infection by a fungal wilt pathogen. Plant Physiology 97: 739–750. , , .
- 1986. Partitioning of photosynthate in leaves of Vitis vinifera infected with Uncinula necator or Plasmopora viticola. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 29: 285. , ,
- 1991. Slow-growth phenotype of transgenic tomato expressing apoplastic invertase Plant Physiology 95: 420–425. , , .
- 1985. A possible rate-limiting function of chloroplast hexosemonophosphate isomerase in starch synthesis of leaves. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 839: 240–248.
- 1988. Barley powdery mildew invertase' is an α-glucosidase. Carlsberg Research Communication 5: 421–430. , .
- 1989. Regulation of photosynthesis in leaves of C, plants following a transition from high to low light. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 973: 176–184. , , .
- 1987. Nutrient relations in biotrophic infections. In: PeggGF, AyresPG, eds. Fungal infection of plants. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 92–132. . .
- 1987. The basis of source-sink regulation in leaves. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 25: 649–657. .
- 1983. Phloem loading of sucrose. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 34: 347–387. .
- 1983. Changes in the activities and predominant molecular forms of acid invertase in oat leaves infected by crown rust. Physiological Plant Pathology 22: 293–312. , .
- 1980. Regulation of photosynthesis by sink activity - the missing link. New Phytologist 86: 131–144.
- 1985. Decrease in three messenger RNA species coding for chloroplast proteins in leaves of barley infected with Erysiphe graminis f sp. hordei. Plant Physiology 78: 891–894. , , .
- 1988. Powders- mildew infection alters fnjetose-2,6-bisphosphate content and sucrose to starch ratio in leaves of wheat plants actively forming grain. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 32: 221–227. , .
- 1993. Regulation of the expression of rbcS and other photosynthetic genes by carbohydrates: a mechanism for the sink regulation of photosynthesis The Plant Journal 3: 817–828. , , ,
- 1988. Invertases from rust-infected wheat leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology 133: 336–339. , .
- 1990. Enzymes of the Calvin cycle. In: Lea, PJ.. ed. Methods in plant biochemistry, vol. 3. London : Academic Press. 15–37. .
- 1983. Determination of total carotenoids and chlorophylls a and b of leaf extracts in different solvents. Biochemical Society Transactions 11: 541–592. , .
- 1975. The activity of invertase and its relevance to the accumulation of storage polysaccharides in leaves infected by biotrophic fungi. New Phytologist 74: 173–182. , , , , .
- 1972. A flexible system in enzyme analysts. New York : Academic Press. , .
- 1983. The host parasite interface and nutrient transfer in biotrophic parasitism. In: CallowJA, ed. Biochemical plant pathology Chichester : John Wiley & Sons Ltd. 163–195. . .
- 1987. Ribulose- 1,5-bisphosphatase carboxylase/oxygenase expression in melon plants infected with Colletotrichum lagenarium. Planta 170: 386–391. , , , .
- 1988. Photosynthesis in discrete regions of leek infected with the rust. Puccinia allii Rud. New Phytologist 110: 371–376. , .
- 1988. Ribulost-1,5-bispbosphate carboxylase/osygenase gene expression in melon plants infected with Colletotrichum lagenarium Activity level and rate of synthesis of mRNAs coding for the large and small subunits. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 32: 411–424. , , .
- 1986. Increased rates of photosynthesis in localized regions of a barley leaf infected with brown rust. New Phytologist 104: 601–612. , .
- 1990. Photo-synthetic metabolism in leaves infected with powdery mildew. In: PhotosynthesisBaltscheffsky M, ed. Current research in photosynthesis 4. Dordrecht : Kluwer Academic Publishers, 219–222. . , , .
- 1990. Metabolic repression of transcription in higher plants. The Plant Cell 2: 1027–1038.
- 1986. Epidermal stripping techniques and their application to studies of the foliar penetration of non ionic surfactants. Aspects of Applied Biology 11: 19–28. , .
- 1989. Carbohydrate metabolism and activity of pyrophosphate: fructose-6-phosphate phospho-transferase in photosynthetic soybean Glycine max Merr.) suspension ceils. Plant Physiology 88: 862–868. , .
- 1989. Photosynthetic carbon partitioning: its regulation and possibilities for manipulation. Physiological Plantarum 77: 633–641. , .
- 1991. Decreased Rubisco in tobacco transformed with antisense rbcs, II. Flux control coefficients in varying light, CO2 and air humidity. Planta 183: 555–566. , , , , ,
- 1990. ‘Sink’ regulation of photosynthetic metabolism m transgenic tobacco plants expressing yeast invertase in their cell wall involves a down-regulation of the Calvin cycle and an up-regulation of glycolysis. Planta 183: 40–50. , ,
- 1990. cDKA cloning of carrot extracellular β-fructosidase and its expression in response to wounding and bacterial infection. The Plant Cell 2: 1107–1119. , .
- 1953. A microcolorimetric method for the determination of inorganic phosphate. Journal of Biological Chemistry 202: 675–685. ,
- 1992. Pathways and mechanisms of phloem loading. In: PollockCJ, FarrarJF, GordonAJ, eds. Carbon partitioning within and between organisms. Oxford : Bios Scientific Publishers, 53–70. .
- 1960. Spectrophotometric determination of chlorophylls and phaeophytins in plant extracts. Analytical Chemistry 32: 1144–1150. .
- 1990. Expression of yeast derived invertase in the cell wall of tobacco and Arabidopsis plants leads to accumulation of carbohydrate and inhibition of photosynthesis and strongly influences growth and phenotype of transgenic tobacco plants. EMBO Journal 9: 3033–3044. , , , ,
- 1986. Photosynthesis and phosphate: a cellular affair Trends in Biochemical Science 11: 176–179. , .
- 1989. A comparison between the coupled spectrophotometric and uncoupled radiometric assays for Rul, 5P2 carboxylase. Photosynthesis Research 22: 167–171. , .
- 1981. Patterns of translocation, storage and interconversion of carbohydrate. In: AyresPG, ed. Effects of disease on the physiology of the growing plant. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 47–84. . .
- 1992. The effect of powdery mildew on the photo-synthetic and carbohydrate metabolism of wheat leaves. Ph.D. thesis, University of Sheffield, UK . .
- 1991. Effects of phosphate supply on wheat seedlings infected with powdery mildew: carbohydrate metabolism of first leaves. New Phytologist 118: 553–558. , .