Use of 15N labelling and 15N natural abundance to quantify the role of mycorrhizas in N uptake by plants: importance of seed N and of changes in the 15N labelling of available N
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 127, Issue 3, pages 515–519, June 1994
How to Cite
HÖGBERG, P., NÄSHOLM, T., HÖGBOM, L. and STÅHL, L. (1994), Use of 15N labelling and 15N natural abundance to quantify the role of mycorrhizas in N uptake by plants: importance of seed N and of changes in the 15N labelling of available N. New Phytologist, 127: 515–519. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb03969.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 4 January 1994; accepted 22 March 1994)
- 1984 Nitrogen sources and ‘A’ values for vesicular-arbuscular and non-mycorrhizal sorghum grown at three rates of 15N ammonium szulphaate. New Phytologist 97: 269–276. , , ,
- 1977 Rapports isotopiques de l'azote. II. Revue d'Écologie et de Biologie du Sol 14: 395–402. , ,
- 1987 Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza improve both symbiotic N2 fixation and N uptake from soil as assessed with a 15N technique under field conditions. New Phytologist 106: 717–725. , ,
- 1991 The role of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizae in improving plant N acquisition from soil as assessed with 15N. In: IAEAStaff eds, Stable isotopes in plant nutrition, soil fertility and environmental studies. Vienna : IAEA, 209–216. , ,
- 1987 Genetic divergence and heterosis in Castor (Ricinus communis. L). Indian Journal of Botany 10: 21–26. ,
- 1985 Estimation of N 2 fixation by isotope dilution: as appraisal of techniques involving 15N enrichment and their application. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 17: 389–410.
- 1992 Internal cycling of nitrate in soils of a mature coniferous forest. Ecology 73: 1148–1156. , ,
- 1990 Microbial production and consumption of nitrate in annual grassland. Ecology 71: 1968–1975. , ,
- 1970 Nitrogen isotope fractionation in soils and microbial reactions. Environmental Science and Technology 4: 929–935. ,
- 1952 A concept concerning the measurement of available soil nutrients. Soil Science 73: 263–271. ,
- 1993 Effects of the ecto- and VA-mycorrhizal fungi Hydnagium carneum and Glomus clarum on the δ15N and δ15C values of Eucalyptus globules and Ricinus communis. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 375–392. , , , , ,
- 1989 Growth and nitrogen inflow rates in mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal seedlings of Pinus sylvestirs. Forest Ecology and Management 28: 7–17.
- 1990 15N natural abundance as a possible Marker of the ectomycorrhizal habit of trees in muxed African woodlands. New Phytologist 115: 483–486.
- 1979 Mineral nutrient requirements of Pinus sylvestris and Picea abies seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 45: 373–380.
- 1985 The influence of seed-borne N in 15N isotope dilution studies with legumes. Acta Agriculture Scandinavica 35: 438–443. , ,
- 1978 Nirtrogen isotope fractionation during ammonium exchange reactions with soil clay. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 58: 53–60. ,
- 1980 Isotopic fractionation associated with symbiotic N2 fixation and uptake of NO3− by plants. Plant Physiology 66: 51–56. ,
- 1952 Transport of labeled nitrogen from an ammonium source to pine seedlings through mycorrhizal mycelium. Svensk Botanisk Tidsskrift 46: 281–285. ,
- 1953 Transfer of labeled nitrogen from glutamic acid to pine seedlings through the mycelium of Bletus variegatus (S.W.) Fr. Nature 171: 434. ,
- 1991 Uptake of NO2 by mycorrhizal amd non-mycorrhizal Scots pine seedlings: quantities and effects of amino acid and protein concentrations. New Phytologist 119: 83–92. , ,
- 1987 Stable isotopes in ecosystem studies. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18: 293–320. ,
- 1987 The application of mass spectrometry to biochemical and physiological studies. In: DaviesDD, ed. The biochemistry of plants. New York : Academic Press, 127–179.
- 1986 N2-fixation in field settings: estimations based on natural 15N abundane. Austarlian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 699–756. ,
- 1993 Natural abundance of 15N: fractional contribution of two sources to common sink and use of isotope discrimination. In: KnowlesR, BlackburnTH, eds. Nitrogen isotope techniques. San Diego : Academic Press, 89–125. ,
- 1984 Inheritance of yield and its components in castor. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 44: 538–543. ,
- USDA. 1974 Seeds of woody plants in the United States. Agriculture handbook No. 450. Washington , DC : Forest Service. US Dept. of Agriculture.
- 1983 Estimation N 2-fixation in the field using 15N labeled fertilizer: some problems and solutions. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 15: 631–639.
- 1991 Evaluation of errors in the measurement of biological nitrogen fixation using 15N fertilizer. In: IAEAStaff, eds. Stable isotopes in plant nutrition, soil fertility and environmental studies. Vienna : IAEA, 59–72. ,