Interactions between arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and foliar-feeding insects in Plantago lanceolata L.
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 128, Issue 1, pages 79–87, September 1994
How to Cite
GANGE, A. C. and WEST, H. M. (1994), Interactions between arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and foliar-feeding insects in Plantago lanceolata L. New Phytologist, 128: 79–87. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.1994.tb03989.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- (Received 3 November 1993; accepted 24 April 1994)
- 1987. Allocating resources to reproduction and defense. BioScicnce 37: 53–67. , , , .
- 1991. A critical review on the role of mycorrhizal fungi in the uptake of phosphorus by plants plant and soil 134: 189–207. .
- 1990. Effects of endomycorrhizal fungi in the uptake of phosphorus bty plants Plant and soil 134: 189–207. , .
- 1990. Effects of endomycorrhizal infection artificial herbvivory and parental cross on growth of lotus corniculatus L. Oecologia 82: 402–407. .
- 1988. Response of generalist and specialist insects to qualitative allelochemical variation. Journal of Chemical Ecology 14: 319–334. , .
- 1992. Chemical variation within and between individuals of Plantago lanceolota (Plantaginaceae) Journal of chemical Ecology 18: 985–995. , .
- 1995. Insect herbivores and plant succession. Oikos 44: 17–22. .
- 1983. Carbon/nutrient balance of boreal plants in relation to vertebrate herbivory. Oikos 40: 357–368. , , .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of ecology and systematices 21: 423–447. , , .
- 1992. Controls of biomass partitioning between roots and shoots: atmospheric co2 enrichment and the acquisition and allocation of carbon and nitrogen in wild radish Oecologia 89: 580–587. , , .
- 1956. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical Chemistry 28: 350–356. , , , ,
- 1965. Catalpol and methylcatalpol: naturally occourring glycosides in plantago and buddleia species. Bio-chemical Journal 96: 1–5. , , , . , .
- 1980. Allocation of arbon to growth, storage and respiration in the vegetative barley plant. Plant. Cell and environment 3: 97–105. .
- 1990. The role and ecological significance of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas in temperate ecosystems. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 29: 137–151. .
- 1990. A rest of mycorrhizal benefit in an early successional plant community. New Phytologist 115: 85–91. , , .
- 1992. Effects of pesticides on the germination of weed seeds: implications for manipulative experiments. Journal of Applied Ecology 29: 303–310. , , .
- 1988. Host plant utilization and iridoid glycoside sequestration by Euphydryas anicia (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Journal of Chemical Ecology 14: 2147–2168. , .
- 1990. Carbon flow into solil and external hyphae from roots of mycorrhizal cucumber plants. New Phytologist 115: 77–83. ,
- 1991. Effects of nitroagen and foliar biomass on population parameters of cabbage insects. Entomologia experimentalis et applicata 16: 7–16. , , , .
- 1991. Ectomycorrhizae and trees implications for aboveground herbivory In: BarbosaP. KrisehikVA JonesCG; eds. Microbial mediation of plant-herbivare interactions. Chichester : John Wiley & Sons, 65–103. , .
- 1989. Amodified procedure for staining roots to detect Va Mycorrhizas. Mycologiacl Research 92: 486–503. , .
- 1981. Changes in the leaves of finger miller due to VA Mycorrhizal infection New Phytologist 87: 717–722. , , , .
- 1992. Interactions between foliar-and root- feeding insects. Ph. D. thesis. University of London. .
- 1980. Herbiyory in relation to plant nitrogen content Annual Review of ecology and Systematics 11: 119–161. .
- 1990. A new method which gives and abjective measure of colonization of roots by vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 115: 495–501. , , , , .
- 1970. Uptake rates of plant sap and synthetic diet by the aphid Myzus persicae. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 63: 1701–1705. .
- 1981. Amino acid content of leaves in mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal citrus rootstocks. Annals of Botany 47: 251–358. , .
- 1958. A simplified clip cage for use in aphid investigations. Canadian Entomologist 90: 760. .
- 1992. The importance of deterrence: respohses of grazing animals to plant variation. In: FritzRS, SimmsEL, Eds. Plant resistance to herbivores and pathogens, Ecology evolution and genetics. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. 216–239. .
- 1991. The plant vigor hypothesis and herbivore attack. Oikos 62: 244–251. .
- 1985. Reduced Larva Growth of two Lepidoptera (Noctuiae) on excised leaves of soybean infected with a mycorrhizal fungus. Journal of Economic Entomology 78: 1358–1363. , .
- 1967. Growth analysis formulae-their use and abuse. Crop Science 7: 171–175. .
- 1984. Amino acid analysis by reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatograph: precolumn derivatization with phenyisothiocyantate. Analytical Biochemistry 136: 65–74. , , .
- 1986. Compensatory changes in the partitioining of dry matter in relation to nitrogen uptake and optimal variations in growth. Annals of Botany 58: 841–848.
- 1993. The effect of fungicides on vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis I. The effects on vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizalfugi and plant growth. New Phytologist 25: 139–147. , , .
- 1994. Improved nitrogen uptake and transport form N-Labelled nitrate by external hyphae of arbusculat mycorrhiza under water- stressed conditions. New Phytologist 126: 119–122. , , .
- 1993. The influence o9f three biocides on the fungal associates of the roots of vulpia cihata ssp ambigaua under natural conditions. Journal of Ecology 81: 345–350. , , .
- 1984. Biostatistical analysis. Englewood Cliffs . NJ , USA Premice-Hall International. .